1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations for next season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by FootballAnalyst98, Mar 14, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We have a new DB coach, and through the draft and FA will probably add 2 safeties. Also Sutton will replace Gay, he's younger and faster.

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I think what everyone is forgetting about is we did pretty well in the injury department compared to plenty of other teams!No doubt losing Shazier really hurt our defense but I don’t think we lost a starter for the whole year which is extremely rare!We played a lot of subpar QB’s and our defense was still lit up!We won quite of few games by a Bosley field goal also.What I’m trying to say we had some luck on our side last year and still lost to Jacksonville for the second time at home in the first round of the playoffs.We are not sweeping the division again and we play the N.F.C south this year who probably have the best offenses from top to bottom out of any division!11-5 or 10-6 and probably a first round loss again as our defense won’t improve much even with great draft picks as it usually takes a few years for that to happen!I hope I’m wrong as I feel our offense will be more consistent next year and top 3 definitely.Maybe we can win 40-35 games in the playoffs but am not counting on it!

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No and yes. There are 2 periods of FA. The Steelers probably won’t get into the overpriced bidding wars that are about to start shortly. But, there is always a very real possibility of picking up a decent vet who gets cut in camp. Joe Haden for example.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m counting loosing Shazier as loosing someone important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    so long as ben is here it's super bowl or bust

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Steelers won't be worse next year than they were this year. I actually expect the D to be better, even with the loss of Shazier. The secondary, while not great, did show moments of growth and improvement. Look at how well they played vs NE for most of that game.

A repeat of 13-3 is very doable next season. A Super Bowl run is in the cards, but it all comes down to what happens with Bell. How does the draft and FA improve the D. And then can they mostly avoid the injury bug again next year.

I'm not sure who said it on pg 1. But this idea that Shazier is going to play again in 2019 is a pipedream. That kid is never going to play again. Its sad because he's a great guy and was turning into a REALLY good player. But there is no chance he suits up and sees the field again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't expect us to be ne I'm just saying us or no one can't compare to em.

8. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Correct but haden wasn't cheap. We couldn' afford another him.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think our defense struggles next year. Too many new parts will be their undoing.

Might be a 9-7 year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Wow. Lots of negativity in this thread. If anyone with season tickets would like to just skip the regular season let me know. I'll send you my address.

Steelers will plug holes and still be a top team in the AFC. Browns, Ravens, and Bengals will all be sub parts agIn in 18. I think we sweep the North again. I say bottom end 11-5 and Top end 14-2. We will need some luck along the way. But the 18 Steelers have just as good of a shot as the 17 ones did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I cannot even guess because it`s all about the defense for us. We know what the offense can do and most all will return, but will we be much better on defense? If the defense does not get much improved, the only way to win a S.B. is for all the top competition to take a step backwards and that is very unlikely.

I expect our first pick in the draft to be a Shazier replacement and continue very heavy on defense.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Leaving to one side the negative/realistic debate that might now happen...

I think it’s a bit of a continuation of last season. There was probably the most amount of general negativity on the board during what was, in terms of wins and losses, one of our best ever regular seasons.

And that was way before the playoffs.

I don’t have an issue with that. I guess what I don’t understand people going out of their way to prove any success was fluke/unimportant/ not really a success.

For me, next season depends on a) what we do at ILB and S and b) probably a number of controversial calls in our games and others that ultimately settle the pecking order. I don’t think we’ll dominate, but I suspect no one team will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m usually pretty positive, but the way the season ended sure gave me a sour taste. I still think we will win a bunch of games, so I’m going 12-4. Then we have a quick playoff exit.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think letting Haley walk automatically improves this offense.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'll be right this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Not so sure about that. If Ben goes back to barnyard/Arians mode... he'll miss at least 4 games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    couple of tidbits.
    Don't expect our offense to be the best, it never is. Doesn't matter who we have, haley or no haley.

Losing Shazier on defense pretty much sealed our fate for a SB run. We had opposing teams drop like flies and jags killed us at home twice. Talk about being their b*.

There were many red flags last season. We win another superbowl by:

1. someone taking the pats out
    2. make ridiculous plays to get there or win (2005 ben tackle, 2008 Harrison int, 2010 AB helmet grab)
    3.opposing coaches outstupid tomlin

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Are you basing your predictions and defensive analysis on the team not being able to replace Shazier and being reluctant to scrap their defensive scheme that focused on using his speed and talent to cover for the problems created by using that scheme? Not that it's wrong just asking

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah... that and wasting money on keeping Bell instead of acquiring a free agent ILB. Steelers can find another RB for cheap and still win lots of games. Sorry, but a rookie ILB picked in the late 20's in the first round is not going to make much of an impact in his rookie year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm hoping for something in between, like lining up under center, utilizes play action, 2 back sets, ect. They have better receivers now than Arians had, and probably a better Oline. Defenses can barely touch the QB now too, which wasn't always the case when Bruce was here.

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Ben doesn't seem to get the love from the refs that Brady does. The refs treat Ben like he's some kind of mobile running threat.... Cam Newton, Michael Vick, etc. :facepalm:

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Wasn't it you who brought up Kendrell Bell in one of your posts? 2nd round pick, defensive rookie of the year.

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree asking that of any player would be a recipe for failure. Replacing a talent like Shazier is not what they should be trying for. they need to decide what they are doing scheme wise and get a player appropriate for that. The 34 has been a top defense with average ILB'S before so trying to focus on just one players freakish speed and talent isn't really a necessity. Get the best player you can who fits what you do and go from there.

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And the Steelers never value the backup QB position enough. Landry Jones is not fine! And let's promote the guy to OC who was responsible for his development.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yes I did bring up Kendrell Bell. Steelers struck PURE GOLD in the '01 draft with their first 2 picks... Hampton and Bell. It's not likely to happen this year.

It would take rookie players of that caliber to turn this defense around THIS YEAR. Again... chances are slim to none this will happen due to the Steelers draft position. Rookie ILBs and rookie Safeties will have to be developed, which means they will either rot on the bench or be thrown in the fire and get torched, but learn in the process. Either way... this takes time. Time the Steelers don't have.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018