1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Etienne or Harris?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by strummerfan, Mar 19, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see the Steelers having any interest in Carter, they need a bell cow RB, that RB also has to be able to pick up the blitz.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Carter to me is like a smaller Saquon Barkley, we already have Macfarland, who is supposed to be our undersized back with burst, although he looked very raw last year. When Carter runs it looks like he is having fun making guys miss, he runs confidently,
    however for our needs, we need someone with a little more size, I would take Etienne or Harris early and than bolster offensive line

• Like Like x 2
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Etienne for me hands down , we have the wrong blocking scheme for Harris in the NFL IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    There is a growing misconception about RBs size IMHO. The general assumption is they need to be a bit bigger so they can handle a franchise back load for a long time. I'm of the opinion most RBs won't last more than 4 years. So don't waste a first on them no matter how talented.

And you are better with complementary backs. Even teams who drafted bell cows are now signing complements... (C Oakland Raiders).

So yes, I think Carter is a good complementary back to the beffy of plodders we already have. And if those plodders aren't good enough, get others. Just don't go wasting early picks on a bad long-term position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Harris- 2020- 2 fumbles, 251 carries, 43 receptions career 718 touches, 3 fumbles
    Etienne- 2020- 4 fumbles, 168 carries, 48 receptions. career 788 touches, 8 fumbles.
    J. Williams- 2020- 1 fumble, 157 carries, 25 receptions. Career 416 touches, 3 fumbles.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  6. OmegaTiger

OmegaTiger Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Najee Harris is and all around power house, he has the speed, and size to be great... he can catch run and bull you over and carry you if he needs to... Either would be great, but I prefer Harris because of his size and power... But it doesn't mean anything if you don't have the men upfront to open some holes... Get the line in order or no one is running anywhere and pass protection must remain a priority.. Big Ben ain't going to run like when he was younger...

Size to me is important, Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis had the size and power on 3rd and 3 to get you the first down... But small and fast can be good if you have holes to run through...

7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    My biggest problem with a RB in round 1 is that 40% of his career in Pittsburgh will likely be wasted. First year they always come in too heavy and/or get hurt because they're not ready for NFL speed.

2nd year they get in shape, enter their abbreviated prime. By mid to late-year 3, Tomlin has begun to run the wheels off of them and the injuries start mounting again.

Basically, we'll get good production for most of 2021 and 2022.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Harris for me

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not sure Etienne would help the team in short yardage situations, one of the reasons I prefer Harris.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Bingo. Under Tomlin their warranty runs out about the time the rookie contract does, so might as well get the one you can use in the most situations if you are drafting one. I think both will probably succeed in the NFL though.

11. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Speed kills. Etienne.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dri Archer, Rondel Mendeze , and Henry Ruggs 3 say hello :crybye:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    With two carries and one reception in pre-season, Etienne out with a lizfrank injury.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Was never sold on Etienne being our pick, I like my RBs to be bigger, unless your name is Barry Sanders.

Sucks for him though, that’s too bad.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    To bad for the kid, I liked him also. But I too prefer a bigger back.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Like Blast, I didn't think Etienne was a fit and said so in my final mock but this still sucks for the guy. Hopefully he returns in week 8 or whatever it is now. But dang, that Jax team should have went OL with that late 1st rounder. Same as Cincy this year instead of JaMarr.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wanted Harris all along, he's a bigger RB, who can be more effective in short yardage plays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I really thought Harris was going 18 to the 'phins. I wanted Michael Carter in the 2nd to pair with the bigger guys on the roster like Snell and Ballage. But I had NO idea that Ballage would be surpassing Snell (it seems to me anyway). Snell will start this final preseason game so we'll see. Snell has been hampered by injuries so there's that, but the limited views I've had on Ballage are promising.

I'd be curious to know what was Pittsburgh's plan B was if Najee was selected before 24.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Once Miami passed on Harris, I was confident the Steelers would get him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I didn't want either , as You can see in this topic, but I did choose Harris out of the 2.
    I still don't believe in a 1st round RB, or Wr, but....It doesn't mean I don't think he will be good.

21. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I wanted Etienne IF we were going to take a 1st rd RB. That being said, the very LAST position that I wanted in the 1st was RB. The ABSOLUTE LAST.I still feel that way now. Hopefully Harris can, despite his physical limitations,become a "1st rd RB". Which doesn't mean anything, of course.

I'm still pissed about the pick but I have no option to route for this guy for the next 4 years. I don't think Harris is anywhere near the top rushers in overall ability, but he's our guy. So, I'm behind him. Rain or shine.

And before any of you "geniuses" want to put me in my place about Harris like you've already tried, the guy has played EXACTLY ZERO DOWNS IN THE NFL TO THIS POINT. And I've never said that he can't be good. I've said that I didn't want a first round RB, and even if, he wasn't the one I wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I wanted Harris in the 1st. :dancing:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm glad you got your guy. I was a Jenkins guy. He's a beautiful man. lol Hope he has a quick recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Glad they took Harris. Etienne is going to get beat up before his rookie contract is up. Harris has the build for longevity

• Like Like x 2
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.