1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DUNE

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by santeesteel, Nov 28, 2021.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Just saw this movie yesterday. If you don't know the book, It would be very confusing. I was trying to explain the Bene Gesserit breeding program to my wife. Just one of the reasons that this book is way to complex to translate into a 2 1/2 hour movie. It was pretty good but, the soundtrack drowned out some of the dialogue. Anyone else see it?

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I was a huge fan of the books back in my younger days. The movie was such a letdown for me. That's not to say it was all bad. Visually, it was near perfect. But tone and execution seemed off to me.

But as you said, the story is way too detailed and complex for a movie adaptation. This would have been better served by giving it the Game of Thrones treatment. Big budget show on a network not afraid to do adult themes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    That might've been a good idea.

4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    My son and I saw it a few weeks ago, when it first came out. I had never read the book, but I saw the 1984 movie several times, so I knew what was going on for the most part. But I agree, if you didn't know anything about it going in, the new movie would be very confusing.

So both me and my son are now reading the book, and I'm enjoying it very much, and it fills in so many things that neither movie conveyed.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Sci Fi Channel mini series from 2000 came in at just under 5 hours (director’s cut). I thought they captured the story better/more thoroughly than the 1984 version. It was clearly a lower budget effort though.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Lower budget than the '84 version??? Must have been horrendous!!

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The effects, sets and costumes were low budget, but the script was more authentic to the book, and the acting was good enough to make it OK overall. I haven’t seen the new version, so I can’t comment on how well it captures the story.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It captures the story well enough but, it's rushed. for instance, you see that Yueh (Yueh, Yueh, a thousand deaths are not enough for Yueh) betrays the Atreides because the Baron has his wife but, no explanation why the Baron has her.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I thought they should have established the Atreides on Dune for a little bit and shown Jessica interacting with the Fremen in the city. I liked the way the 1984 version did it, but it had a lot of that voice over explaining things which I didn't mind.

Did not like the constant Chani shots...too much wasted time for me. Didn't really establish her importance either and no hint that this version is Liet's daughter. Would have liked to see the Guild interacting a little more as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I never seen the Scifi version, or the newest one yet. I read the 1st two books though.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why the Game of Thrones destroyed the Books?...Hell I even did a song about the Greyjoys because of How dumb and very little they were use compared 2 the books.
    I haven't seen the newest version of Dune, or the Scifi version yet, but I seen the 80s version, and read the 1st two books

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Whole different conversation.

Game of Thrones faltered because its writers were talentless hacks who couldn't write anything unless they had source material to adapt. But the early seasons were gold.

The Dune story would never run out of source material. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    L
    it hasn’t yet. His son has written a dozen prequels. I’m reading the latest one now

14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    As I mentioned above, I'm reading the book for the first time right now. I've heard that it's best to read the first 3 books, and then skip the 2nd half of the original 6 (supposedly they take away from the earlier books somehow).

What's the consensus here about that? Are books 4, 5, and 6 worth reading, or is it best to stop after 3?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But they skipped over like whole halves of some books. Yes they were hacks.:thumbs_up:

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've only read the 1st two...So I can't help my Friend :shrug:

17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    IMHO, that's blasphemy.

Book 4 may be the best of the series. The story gets a little crazy after that, but still worth a read.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Once he started with the c
    It gets weird I didn't care for hem too much. There are parts, but ...

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    To be fair Whole halves of books are about characters that influence on character to do one thing, then nothing else because they die.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I probably need to read the books again. I read them about 35 years ago, and my recollection is that it went off the rails at the end of Book 3, but I probably didn’t fully appreciate why Leto II made the rather interesting choice that he made. I just remember getting tired of the books after making it through book 4, and I’m not sure I even finished book 5.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I read the 1st one twice since everyone on here turned Me on 2 it , but haven't gotten past the 2nd yet. :shrug:
    I'm on a Dan Simmons kick . Finished all the Hyperion books , and just started Carrion Comfort. :shrug:
    I do that I will read a bunch by a certain author for awhile then get bored, and find a different one for awhile.
    I'm sure I will comeback and finish the Dune series.

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ve definitely read books by Simmons years ago, and Carrion Comfort sounds familiar. Can’t say that I remember what it’s about though. I do the same thing, reading a lot of books in a row by one writer, and I’m currently getting close to the end of the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'll have 2 check out this Mark Greaney. I've never heard of Him. So far the Carrion Comfort it's seems like is about like a Mind Vampires, or something that controls, and feeds on You. Just started. :shrug:

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Did you buy chance suffer the same syndrome some fans did? The story moved so far ahead that all the characters you cared about were no longer around (save one ;))?

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    No, I am ok with time jumps. Heck, if I recall correctly every book in the Foundation series jumped and had all new characters. It was just that the character seemed to… lose a little bit of his humanity.

• Like Like x 1