1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft day trades

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Vox Ferrum, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    A general question that perhaps belongs in the general.forum, but with draft gurus here might get a better answer. An analyst said last week that player trades on draft day are just not realistic as the player has to get a physical with the new team and then the NFL has to acknowledge that physical.

I can't recall recent player trades on draft day, exceptions being perhaps for future draft picks. My question if this is true, then all the talk of trades for picks this year has to take place in time for those physicals? For instance Deebo or anyone really is not getting dealt on Friday during the draft for a current 1st round pick?

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think we traded Martavis Bryant on draft day.

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Deebo could be a draft day trade for sure. Baker Mayfield could be as well, however he isn't going to get much return. A team that missed out on the QB they wanted might be willing to part with a day 3 pick and have Cleveland eat some of Mayfield's salary to have him for a season. Its more likely that either are traded within the few days prior to the draft, or directly after the draft.

4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    We traded for JB on draft day

5. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I knew there had to be one lol. I just was not sure under current structure if the physical thing was protocol or actual rule. Trading a player for future picks NP, but trading a pick that is used only to have..lets say Jimmy G fail the physical. Is it like a used car Buyer beware.

6. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I just Google. Should have done it in the first place. Lol. The same type physicals players get at the combine is required for any trade. My specific point on draft day trades with current players and that days draft picks is a failed physical could not diminish that player chosen. I'm probably complicating things.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I predict there will be plenty.lol