1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want Ben as our starting QB in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    The current version of Ben is still worlds better than anyone else we have. Unless or until we have a better option I vote a resounding yes. What we have now at backup is the modern version of the carousel of 80's schlubs who some of us had to suffer through.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The biggest argument against Ben is cap space and growth of other players. I'm not sold he's done, but I think it may be time to give Rudolph a chance to see how he does as a full time starter.

I also think if Ben were to play next year there needs to be a threat in the running game. I think throwing 40+ times is not ideal.

The I think we really need to get some defensive players like TJ Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick secured with long term contracts contracts.

Someone mentioned somewhere about trading TJ. I think that'd be a ridiculous mistake he's arguably the best edge rusher in the league and looks to be the case for the next 4 ir 5 years barring injury. In a passing league you need the best pass rusher

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Currently there is no option on the roster that I could see leading this team through the Playoffs.

I can't say Yes or No.

4. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    The last thing Big slob needs is less practice. Practice and work ethic is why Brady is in the Super Bowl for the TENTH time and Bens in the potato chip bowl.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    IF ( he won't ) play for about half the price of what he's getting...We could address some things , and put a great team around him...

But with our cap situation, his monsterous contract, impending free agents, and current cap situation...

We'll not have near as good as team, as last years team! And y'all seen his that **** show played out!

6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Biggest is that he can't run Canada's offense, so we'll be stuck watching 100% shotgun, no rollouts, no play action, very few deep shots, and 50+ passes a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Salary cap aside. The team has been trying to appease Ben for years. For six of the last eight years, we’ve drafted a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round and delivered to Ben a new toy to play with. Yes, we have a very good WR set because of it, but at what cost? We’ve been trying to replace Heath for years with mid/late-round picks and other teams’ cast offs. Since 2012, Okafor was the only OL picked in the top three rounds and now it shows. Time to move on

8. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
  9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There’s also been a focus on the defense, perhaps they should’ve invested more on the OL. Just last year they could’ve drafted OL instead of McFarland and the team would’ve been better off. Not sure if Maryland had anymore OL available or not.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Shut up troll :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They don't need to sign Minkah for another couple of years, 2022 is his fifth year option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Most teams fans complain they only get 2 - 3 round Wrs. I think Steelers do it cause .
    1. Up till this point Ben has been able 2 make Wrs work.
    2. They don't want 2 be caught up having 2 overpay a Wrs again. IMO

13. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I want Ben from 2008 or 2018, but since that can't happen I'll take Mason Rudolph.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ike chimed in on Ben:

On 93.7 The Fan’s “PM Team” on Wednesday, host Andrew Fillipponi asked former Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor if it is time for Ben Roethlisberger “to ride off into the sunset.”

“One hundred percent,” Taylor immediately replied. “It’s the mobility part. If you look at the three quarterbacks in the AFC North, they are young. They are mobile. They’ve got playoff experience.”

Well, Lamar Jackson (Baltimore Ravens) and Baker Mayfield (Cleveland Browns) do. Joe Burrow (Cincinnati Bengals) doesn’t. But continue, Ike.

“Seven has done enough. He has had a heck of a run. It’s the mobility part,” Taylor said.

That said, Taylor expects Roethlisberger to play out the final year of his contract in Pittsburgh.

“They’re gonna let Ben rock out till he wants to rock out,” Taylor continued. “You know the Steelers, they’re loyal.”

Taylor says his concern is that the Steelers are delaying the clock on starting a “three-year” timetable for a new quarterback to get up to speed. And with those other three QBs in the Steelers’ division, he sees the AFC North as a potential big problem for the Black and Gold.

Source: Tim Benz.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Crazy idea...but Big Ben as QB coach eventually? Remember the game against the Ravens where he mentored Dixon to a near win?

16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Kicking the can...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Saw that, makes sense. They better make the ground game a priority. Get some road graders on the line and tell Ben you aren’t throwing here ball more than 25-30 times a game.

18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm honestly over it. If they believe that Mason is/was a first round talent then let's see what he got. Otherwise they just completely wasted Mason's rookie deal. Steelers don't owe it to Ben to let him retire on his own terms. It's ultimately a business. And what business sense does it make to have $10+ m of dead cap space in '22. Force him to retire now and move on.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d rather see him retire than impair our ability to spend in the future. If I thought Ben could recapture his earlier form and hold up for 20 games, I’d definitely go for it. I don’t have faith in him being able to do that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree, and if he comes back you can probably take it as a given that Pouncey gives it another year too, Ben will convince him. I don’t see them putting a rookie at Center for Bens last year. This means Pouncey will also need an extension and restructure, more money kicked down the road.

It’s commendable that they would both do that but I’m not sure it’s the best thing for the team in the medium term quite honestly. Both are past their best unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Because Brady is super mobile :rolleyes:

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, mobility wasn’t Bens downfall, its that he was throwing the ball to everyone like they were Manute Bol.

23. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Apples and oranges. Ben has always been a gunslinger and now us trying to be a precision passes. Just doesn't work.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    His precision was fine in short areas, the problem was he can’t attack teams down field anymore which made it easy for defenses to take away the underneath stuff.

Plus no ground game, Steelers were as one dimensional as you could get.

25. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    And apart of that had to do with his lack of mobility. The man was able to extend plays 35-40 seconds scrambling then found someone wide open for a 60 yard TD. His nature isn't 2.5 second timing routes.