1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want Ben as our starting QB in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

And yet you always got a excuse for Tomlin :shrug:

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's not a fact, it's a convenient excuse. There isn't another coach in the league who would settle for 'we can't run, so why even try'. That's what coaches are there for, overcoming deficiencies thru coaching.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I guessed you missed it when they got stuffed on 3rd and 1 all those times.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not my fault you can't accept the facts :shrug:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    IMO getting there so many times is impressive. I did find it interesting (and of course frustrating) that he lost that many times.... seemed like the opposing coaches figured out his gameplan (or signals??) and adjusted and he couldn't. Even so, I don't recall people saying Cowher underperformed (and FWIW he actually has a worse W/L than Tomlin 623 vs 650). He did have a better playoff record (571 vs 500) but only 30th on the all time time list which, I guess, does take some of the luster off. But again, except for his final year, i don't recall i lot of talk about Cowher under performing.

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You're proving my point, like you usually do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Cowher played Marty ball, which led to losses in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ...... mhmm.....

..... soo.... I voted no!

Big Ben is sadly not the player he once was anymore. Whether or not people like it or not is irrelevant. That said, I would focus on building for the future as Tomlin has already been on record in stating he has no intentions to rebuild at all. This with the addition of the comments he made about Mason Rudolph's progression lead me to believe one of two possibilities;

1.) Tomlin believes that Mason is, at worst, the bridge to obtaining a QB in the future should Big Ben go down for an extended period in 2021.

OR

2.) Tomlin truly believes in Mason and Mason is indeed the guy period moving forward.

Of the two, I would rather have option Number 1 as the 2022 Class of QBs look very promising. If anything, Phil Jurkovec from Boston College please. :herewego:

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Jurkovec is in the draft this year

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

.... :lolol:

I meant 2022. Thank you!!!

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Trey Lance dropped to the middle of the first round, the Steelers should make a move up to get him.

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Said the same on another thread. The cap issue is a temporary problem, it’ll improve dramatically after 2021 as all the veterans retire and the dead money works it’s way off the sheet.

If they can sort out the QB position and continue to find guys in the draft there is no reason they have to have this lost decade so many are predicting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ben is done. Trying to piece him back together or get him this or that to make it work is a freaking sign, no? The longer you take to realize this the worse it'll be to transition. Ben's main concern is $41 million. So would most with a brain. Decision has to be made for him.

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    They may be predicting it because history repeats itself.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He is only due 19 million, not 41 million.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

And Steelers fans want the team to go after Watson, they have no chance to compete with other teams with more draft picks.

17. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
  18. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    The information about the Steelers success pre-Ben should be common knowledge to Steelers. That’s why I say all of the posters talking like it’s inevitable doom and gloom after Ben leaves either are early 20s young or aren’t real fans.

The organization took a misstep when it decided to go from physical run/defense first, to pass first. The Steelers have treated Ben like he’s Brady, Brees, Rogers, Manning and he’s never been in their class. The team has lost its identity in Ben’s era. You cant put that all on tomlin because that’s over his head.

it’s time to move on. Respect to Ben but it’s over. The team needs to get its identity back. Smash mouth physical football on offense with a dominant defense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

They should but I doubt they will. There will be more picks to make a move in 2022 for the team to use than in 2021. Besides, even in the event that the team does draft Trey Lance, who is protecting him in the future?!

I do like Chuks more than most and Dotson is going to be a keeper but that is more or less all the team has on the Offensive Line. That line needs to be retooled for any Quarterback to come in and produce. If not, expect more of the same.

20. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    If we had any semblance of a running game I might’ve voted yes. We can’t win with Ben throwing 50+ times a game. He also didn’t have a complete solid game. He a had a few good 2nd halves. He’s done great things and is a HOFer, but he’s done unless we suddenly get a run game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I want Ben back next year ... And I would think about trading Rudolph to see what we could get for him. Let Dobbs be the back up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    SMH

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Unfortunately I think it’s over for Ben and I voted no. I loved watching him play but he is a pale shadow of the player he was. He went 12-4 in the regular season and had a good innings with the team. Trying to run it back again just looks like desperation. Very few players get to go out in a blaze of glory like Bettis did.

What I think they should do at QB in 2021 is roll with Mason but bring in a veteran fail-safe in case he struggles.

There are some interesting guys available, Fitzmagic, Brissett, Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Winston, Newton or even Trubisky. You’re looking at $5m - $10m depending on who you want. None of them are the long term answer but you’d trust most of the above to not kill you if they have to play. It would be a very attractive gig for a free agent QB because there is a good chance you’ll get to play and the Steelers have guys that can get open and get down the field.

If they draft OLine and get something going in the running game like many want they might turn this offence around relatively quickly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Or 3 or 4...

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011