1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want Ben as our starting QB in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    i am not sure I am seeing it either with Mason but I'd like to find out. Can't really count last year when Ben was out and they threw Mason is with as much experience as a rookie. The whole season was a hot mess with injuries all over. Plus, enduring an OC that couldn't call a HS offensive game plan when Mason or Duck were in. Then the only other game he played in was against Cleveland this year and played respectable (even with backups against a team in do or die mode). I don't think Ben is able, literally, to make it through another season because if its going to be like the last half of this past season, I'll take Mason over Ben. I hate to say that but Mason gives us more options to do things we need to do unless something happened, not rumors or arm chair MD diagnosis's, that he did play hurt but that is correctable next season. JMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    As bad as Mason is in the pocket, he’s still worlds above Ben at this point. I was actually shocked how fluid he looked in the Cleveland game - then realized that’s only because I’m comparing him to Ben, who essentially doesn’t move any more.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Here is what I think happens..

Ask Ben to take a massive pay cut, if he wants to play, let him play, if Ben struggles insert Mason.

If Ben balks and retires roll with Rudolph for 2021. A combo of Mason, Journeyman backup (mentor) and Haskins.

Steelers need to invest this draft in Offensive Line, Running back, and hopefully hit on another linebacker for the inside, because I think Williams will be a cap casualty.

If Mason is poop, the season is toast, he is going to have a hard time with not a great line (young) around him and a brutal 2021 schedule. If Mason is super poop, play Haskins (what would you have to lose at that point)
    Then maybe we are picking somewhere in the Top 15 or Top 10, because I don't see the Steelers being bad enough to go, 3-13, 4-12 or 5-11,
    I could see 6-10 or 7-9. Mainly because the defense is still a decent one with some great players.

If Mason is great then that is a good thing. But at least invest a draft in O-Line, its not sexy or attractive but it needs done period.

Then by 2022 the Big Ben Cap hit is gone, and we should be in a lot better shape by 2022.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    What if Haskins shines?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    How dare you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This Defense, when fully healthy, has shown it can win 8 games total. Having good QB play likely ascends that total by two minimum; three max. That said, none of this is a factor if the QB does not have the protection needed along the Offensive Line.

I am personally half tempted to place Wyatt Davis in my rankings but am unable to. Seeing him fall to 24 just is not possible as he is way too talented to fall that fall. He is a Top 15 Pick in this draft at worst. That said, should he fall to 24, I would recommend the Steelers re-enact their David DeCastro Performance and just say his name right after whomever the Jets pick up.

My money is still on Mayfield or J.O.K. Preferably J.O.K. but Creed Humphrey would not shock me in the slighest.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This cracked me up. Lol.

Maybe it's just he Kraken and Coke. :guiness:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Have to think Tomlin is the one that wants him back. Colbert sounds like he wants to move on and Rooney is probably the one they have no idea about.

9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Was listening to Ramon Foster on the DK podcast today, he was saying that knowing Colbert and the language he used on Wednesday that he is in no doubt he wants Ben to retire, and I very much doubt Colbert went on the call with reporters and put that out there without the blessing of DMR and MT.

At this stage I’d honestly be surprised if he’s back.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    From a GM’s standpoint, there is no way Colbert wants him back.

I think MT wants him and that could be the delay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d expect a decision within days of the salary cap announcement. I’d say that may be a factor as well

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  13. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Maybe Tomlin gets outvoted, gets pissed off, and we kill two birds with one stone?

But seriously, IMO, bringing Ben back has zero upside. We aren't winning playoff games with him. He handcuffs this offense. And putting him under center does nothing to move the offense away from HIS offense to his replacement's. He would be a lame duck qb, a one year stop gap between now and the next season, with little prospect of success. And I define success as winning playoff games, not having a winning record during the regular season.

I'm not sold on Mason Bouchard. I have no idea what we have in Haskins. But I really don't care. Let them fight it out in camp. Pick the best one. Keep him on a short leash. Hell, flip a coin every week. Again, I don't care. I just want us to move on. Tomlin wants Ben because between Ben and our defense, his precious winning % in the regular season is safe. Without Ben, he gets exposed and has to actually coach.

We're not guaranteed a franchise qb, this season or for the next decade. We might just have to elevate our play around whoever is under center. Why not start sooner than later?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    From a fan's point, there is no way I want him back either.

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Fredo’s got a good heart, but he’s weak and he’s stupid and this is life or death.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I agree with respect to Colbert. Technically, with his responsibility boiling down to collecting the best group of players with the available funds, Ben - whether you think him capable of one more year or not - doesn't represent any kind of positive talent/cost value this year.

In addition, savvy GMs typically look at balancing the needs/cost the team will potentially face on a rolling 3 year cycle as they plan current offseason moves. The Steelers took a chance in end-loading Ben's contract extension to begin with, and COVID's arrival has made it an even bigger boon to retaining/acquiring talent.

Three years ago no one saw the NFL's revenue stream taking a sharp decline in 2020, but unfortunately that's right where we're at. And with transitional stage the Steelers are currently in it makes for an interesting offseason.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Let's be honest ... picking Ben was a layup pick for KC, and Ben has made KC look really good over the years.

He should thank his lucky stars every year Ben plays...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    A layup he would have missed had Dan Rooney not stepped in. They were set to draft some lineman that Cowher wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Shawn Andrews, OT. Not gonna lie, I had to look up the first name - couldn't remember if it was Stacey or Shawn.

Anyway, his last year in the league was 2010.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    It’d be strange to see him play under center, period.

From the reported comments, I think his time in black and gold is over.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mason and Haskins and Dobbs are all better overall for the Team at this point than Ben..All 3 QB'S can actually move some , all 3 can play under Center , all 3 can and will turn their back to the Defense ...You promote a man to OC I am sure you ask him what his vision for the Offense is and I am sure our OC didn't say a statue QB running from the gun and the only 2 run plays will be delayed draw and end around...

As I stated going into the playoff game the only way to really fix the run game starts with a change at the QB spot in this situation..Thanks Ben you did fairly good overall he could have done much more had he been more dedicated, but it's past time to move on ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I doubt he is even on the team next season so that won't be a variable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dobbs is a free agent, he won't be back.

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I not sure him and Matt seemed kind of tight so the new OC might really like him , Dobbs doesn't strike me as a guy who would leave over a few dollars..I could see the OC stating we are going to open this Offense up and you will have a chance to move up the depth chart if you show command and understanding of the scheme...

To me it all depends on the relationship him and Matt have and what Matt thinks of Dobbs ...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Like my Kraken with Ginger ale & cranberry juice

• Like Like x 1