1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dionte Johnson has to go!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Feb 20, 2024.

1. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Trade DJ for a 2 or possibly 3. Offer Tyler Boyd 7-8m a year and call it a day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I keep hearing that name Tyler Boyd, and Now I have to ask the question Why?

Check out these stats. Tyler Boyd is getting worse every year he plays. Why is everyone thinking he is going to turn it all around at age 30?
    I can spot the trend in Boyd's game can you? 2024 I am guessing 500 yds???
    upload_2024-2-23_21-25-28.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    ok

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I gave up on it ever happening. I worked with the mom of a Phil. Eagle cheerleader. She was fine in green and white but she'd have been so much hotter in black and gold.

We all met her once and she said she wished MLB had cheerleaders because the men are so much better looking then NFL players.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Bad genetics :shrug:

6. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Why is being a small player harder to play outside the numbers? Austin may only ever be a gadget guy, or a punt returner. I honestly don't understand what his size has to do with playing outside the numbers vs between the numbers as a WR.

7. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I'm not jumping on the Tyler Boyd bandwagon or anything. I just wanted to add some context to his receiving numbers from 2023 and before.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2023.htm
    Going back and looking at each season and Tyler Boyd was in the top3 in team receiving yards 7of8 seasons. Even with his overall yardage dropping off, that's steady production over a career. All players age and become less than what they were. Could he be the new DHB in the WR room?

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dionte's contract is up after this season. They will draft his replacement. yes he will cost 15,833.334. He is productive and in a contract year he should toe the line.

Pickens is only in his 3rd year and costs peanuts at 1,841.503 in 2024. Next year its only 2,148.420 mill.

The receiver room as well as the Defensive Line room is thin.

You live with Johnson for another season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Diontae plays on the outside, and Boyd is a slot WR, Boyd also talked trash about the Steelers a few times pass on him.

10. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    True character is revealed when you don’t get your own way or the chips are down. I want guys that aren’t going to sulk or give up on plays or go in the tank in the 4th quarter when we don’t have any chance of winning the game. DJ is not that guy. Neither is GP but at least he has transcending talent that can’t be taught and perhaps they can work with him... to have two guys like that in the wr room is insurmountable from my perspective. They feed off of each other from a negative standpoint and justify each others actions.

11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    What is this a term paper?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Its just one of the many things he has said or done to reveal his true character. Honestly it is more about him threatening to do another sit in for a contract extension. If he truly wants to do that... I think if you can get some valuable draft capital and get a WR who is a better fit for Arthur Smiths offense and one with a better attitude now is the time to make it. If your honest with yourself I don’t think anyone would ever confuse DJ with Hines Ward. Who would you want on your team?

13. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You speak alot of logic and make good points. However I wouldn’t undervalue the importance of blocking and yards after the catch in Arthur Smiths offense. The other thing is when you are trying to create an identity and impose your will on another team, having a diminutive wr who is afraid of contact is hardly helpful. The biggest issue I have however is my concern that DJ and Pickens combined present an attitude problem that can really be detrimental to the team overall especially in creating team unity and a strong character where the team is willing to fight for one another. I think it is more manageable when you only have one guy like that and GP is clearly the superior talent that you keep out of the two. With that being said you are right there really aren’t better options in FA and we have too many holes to fill where spending early on a WR in the draft isn’t practical.

14. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I have no problem with a guy wanting another player to start. It is the way you handle it that makes a difference. He clearly has some maturing to do. He is a selfish guy it is obvious.

Your reference of Ward, Watt, Heyward, and Minkah is a poor one. Those guys are all well respected players in the locker room who are leaders and were very worthy of new contracts based on their top level production. DJ is not even close to them in pedigree or production. It speaks to the whole issue I have with the guy and his lack of perception of the reality of the situation and his high opinion of himself. The timing is bad. He has underperformed relative to the expectations for him, he has created conflict in the locker room with one of the team leaders in Minkah Fitzpatrick, and he may not be fit in the new offensive scheme yet he is gong to hold a sit in. Thats really smart of him. Either his agent is clueless or he doesn’t listen to his agent who should be advising him to shut up and just play and go who it on the field.

Regarding being soft....come on. It is obvious to anyone who watches his game he is soft and afraid of contact. People complain all the time about this with him. That and dropped passes were always the two biggest issues. We lived with it because wee had no better options on the roster but now you add in the attitude issues and to me thats the deal breaker. I would rather have a lesser talent with a better attitude that can contribute in other ways and hopefully strengthen the locker room etc. I don’t think DJ’s skill set is that special that we can’t find something somewhat comparable out there.

15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The other thing I really think your under valuing is the impact his negativity has on the locker room and team unity. He got into a fight with Minkah earlier in the year. That kind of toxicity really hampers a team. You talk to teams that win Superbowls and they always talk about the team unity and genuine desire of playing for each other and spending time off the filed with each other as huge factors in the teams success.

• Like Like x 1
  16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    LAZY U R

17. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am so lost. Tyler Boyd has only played 6 seasons, so how can he be tops in the league for 7 of 8 seasons?
    [​IMG]

Tyler Boyd being a Top 3 WR, reminds me a lot of when Chase Claypool said he was a Top 3 WR in the NFL.

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I certainly understand where you're coming from, it just doesn't seem to be something that is resolved in FA or the draft this offseason. DJ is still a very good player, and we have enough issues on offense to add #2 WR to that list unnecessarily. v

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, some fans tend to just make stuff up, so yeah if you're going to make claims like in the OP then include a link :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like it

22. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    My miscount. Sorry about that confusion. Read that as 6of7 instead of 7of8 then. Boyd was #1 in 1 of those seasons, #2 in 2 of those seasons, and #3 in the rest of those seasons. He has been a productive WR for his career. That's not him saying that(ala Claypool), that's factual. I have not paid any attention to the Bengals so maybe it has been smoke and mirrors. I'm not going to just assume that though. 2020 the Bengals added Higgins and 2021 they added Chase. Not sure I believe the drop in yards per season is due to age alone. You may be right and maybe he's trash now.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tyler Boyd is a local Pgh area (Clairton) Pitt product that would
    fit perfectly in the slot.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Why wait lets get something for either one
    .somebody with a better team attitude.

25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Spot on. I personally don't like either George or Dion. That is why I said shop either or.
    They are toxic.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024