1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense of Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamie, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    How about make him run & then take that away from him. Are we saying the same thing?

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is what Devin Bush was drafted for, we will have to contain him with someone
    this will be key for us to win.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Hopefully, Ravens will be rusty coming off the bye. Steelers need to capitalize early... like they did vs. Titans, but don't let up like they did in the 2nd half.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In the playoffs last season, The Titans allowed Jackson to pass for 365 and rush for 143 but tightened up in the red zone and got two INT's. Jackson will get his yards but if the Steelers can hold the Ravens to 3's they'll have a good change. I know, it's the dreaded, "bend but don't break' but it might work.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Again, Lamar Jackson ≠ Ryan Tannehill.

The issue is not Lamar's arm. The issue is keeping Lamar contained. Stuff the run, contain him in passing downs and rapidly build a lead are some of the keys to defeating Baltimore. Of course, these three steps will not be enough nor easy but they are the most critical.

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Keep scoring on him is the best defense against Lamar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Every time he runs an option, he needs to be hit. Assume he has the ball every time and knock the sh!! out of him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers will probably mix it up. Difficult to play man to man consistently with a QB that has wheels. The Steelers must stop the run first.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. I don't see them doing any one thing. It has to be a mixture of approaches. I get the appeal of a spy, but they can't lose their aggressiveness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    he’s so quick and elusive it’s hard to get a good shot on him.

11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I think his point was Lamar scored in single digits on the Wonderlich (sp?) test, so actual thinking is not one of his strong points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree with keeping him in the pocket and make him throw, ideally from behind. A few early scores like last week for the Steelers would be great.

That said, I think both offences might struggle in this one. That Baltimore defence is good and I think Ben will throw at least one INT.

Personally I think there are too many things in Baltimore’s favour, playing at home and coming off a bye week. I think the Ravens shade this one, setting up an epic game at thanksgiving to effectively decide the division.

13. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Few thoughts (questions) on this thread:
    • Bud is (was?) a natural at getting pushed wide... think that will help? Seriously though... do you guys think Watt and Bud will be able to get pressure from the edge? One of my work friends is a raven's fan and he's missing Yanda... he's worried about their line vs ours.
    • I've always thought of Hilton as more of edge blitzer not coming in through the middle gaps (or is that what you meant TGD?)
    • I'm looking forward to seeing Spillane coming up the middle... hope he's fast enough (and that his shoulder is better though hitting LJ is probably less painful than hitting DH!)

14. WinTheNorth

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben was getting the ball touched WAY too many times last week.

15. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Good questions. And my best answer is that I have absolutely no idea how this plays out. But...

I definitely think our edge rushers will disrupt timing and make LJ have to move off his spot. My thought is, however, that we don't need sacks as much as containment. If we push wide and make him step up into the pocket, our big boys will be pushing their line back. He won't have much room to work. And if timing breaks down, he's not going to hurt us as bad with his arm.

That means he's going to look for room to run. Discipline by our lb's will keep the middle of the field shut down. That leaves an opening to both sides, just behind the line and underneath our edges rushing wide.

And that's where I think Hilton can do damage. A narrow corner blitz could either meet LJ or run him down from behind, depending on the direction he takes off. And no, I didn't mean for Hilton to shoot the A or B gaps. I'm primarily thinking D, but he might be able to shoot C if the TE isn't tight in the formation.

Spillane is fast enough to hit the hole, and from what I gather, he's rangey enough to drop into zone coverage. But he's not going to stick with a RB/TE in man. I think he's more than capable of meeting LJ in the A, B , or C gap as a spy. Just don't expect him to get to LJ around the end.

Bottom line, I think we're ready to contain LJ. We should be able to rattle and frustrate him into making bad decisions, especially if he's playing catchup. So this is going to have to be a team win. Offense and defense will have to compliment each other. A great performance from only one unit won't be enough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015

100% agree. Watt and Dupree have to rush aggressively but somewhat controlled with outside leverage. If Lamar gets outside and we are in man coverage, big plays for the RATBIRDS. Lamar will not beat the Steelers throwing the ball if he does fine but I would take away all running and prove he can make the throws. Gap control this week is essential and Defense must be disciplined, not sure if they can play this way.

As others have said, Offense can really help the defense by getting a lead and controlling the ball. This doesn’t mean running it it means converting 3rd downs and not turning the ball over. Another big play by Ray Ray could also be the difference.

17. WinTheNorth

Oct 16, 2011
    Another thought I forgot to mention... if I rember and read it correctly, KC had a middle linebacker spying on him much.of the game and I don't think he was terribly effective running

18. WinTheNorth

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben definitely looked he was trying to make longer plays to me last week... Seemed he was not getting the ball off as quickly and wanted to go down field more. Given what I e heard about the raven dbs.. I hope we see a strong short game (no , not bubble screens!)

19. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    How about just model what KC did when they completely neutralized him? I believe they just had the defensive front surround him in a pocket and take away his ability to break containment to the outside. This forced him to run up the middle where a linebacker could tackle him in a tight space taking away his ability to juke the tackle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Option 1 will get us killed out there. A spy is absolutely pointless because we don't have a guy fast enough that can stop him from getting around the edge. Even Bush probably wouldn't be able to catch up with him if he was spying Jackson.

Forget the spy nonsense. If Jackson wants to run, let him run up the middle and get physical with him. We cannot let him get outside or he'll burn us.

21. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Pretty much exactly what I said with less detail.

You might be right. But then again...realize that a spy doesn't have to contain the edge. He's not the only one allowed to tackle LJ. A spy is also available for run support or to stunt and drop back into coverage and have another backer shoot the gap. If we are able to collapse the pocket around LJ and limit his running lanes, he becomes far less dangerous. And a spy can actually be effective against a mobile qb by making him have to change direction. Elite running qb's like LJ are most dangerous when they can be decisive with their paths and get into open field. If a spy can make LJ have to change course, reverse field, or hesitate, his speed is neutralized. And that's all our fast defense needs to get to him.

I really think we've got the right mix of talent on defense to stop him. If KC could do it, we definitely can. We might get beat through the air once, and maybe LJ gets the best of us once. But I'm going to be utterly shocked if they hang more than 17 on us. I think 20 points wins this game. And it really comes down to our offense. If we take care of the ball and don't give LJ extra chances, we walk away happy. Turnovers, if they happen, will be our undoing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt

Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2018
    The best way to stop Lamar is give him a flat tire! Those things will stop anyone in their tracks.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Unfortunately it looks like he might be out with the shoulder.

Yes yes yes! Lamar is not a come from behind and he will start slinging picks!

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This. I’d like to see someone destroy him.

• Agree Agree x 1