1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawand Jones

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Animus, Feb 6, 2023.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He weighed at the combine. Why does he have to do it again? He weighed, ran the 40, competed in a number of drills. Idk. It just feels like someone trying to make a story of something at a time of the year where groundbreaking stories are hard to come by.

In short, no. It doesn't. But I'm not the one that he should be worried about bothering. All I care about is if the Steelers FO thinks he will work hard to keep his weight in check throughout his career with us if we draft him. Its going to be something he has to work on every year for the rest of his career. If the FO feels very strongly that he will then I am ok drafting him. He's a big man who can move really well for his size. Technically very sound, and really the type of guy the Steelers will want mauling up front if we are putting an emphasis on the run game.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st....is it hard to get on a scale(unless you are hiding something)???
    2nd....the He didn't do anything at the combine but run a 40. That's all, and didn't do anything at His pro day.....So what are all these drills You are talking about???

3. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    1. He did at the combine. Idk why he has to get on a scale every time one is around. He is likely not hiding anything, his agent probably told him not to.

2. He didn't lift, jump, or do the cone drill... but he did do some other drills like the ones in the link below.

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/l...-jones-paris-johnson-jr-luke-wypler-workouts/

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I only saw Him do the 40.
    So He did a few drills...My bad....I was wrong, but You do have to worry about hiding things. Yes even stepping on a scale....God forbid He hurts him self getting on a scale. So since You can't hurt Yourself by climbing on a scale....why would He not do so????...., or why would an agent tell Him not to.....unless He was hiding something. Come on be honest

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What's his excuse for not getting weighed at his pro day then :shrug:?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Jalen Carter put on nine pounds between the time he left the combine, up until his pro day earlier this month, he couldn't finish the drills, it shows lack of discipline for these athletes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Most guys will put on weight tho. They train their butts off to cut weight pre combine so they run a faster 40 time. If they cut 5-10 lbs and shave a half a tenth it might make them a bunch of money...

Its pretty expected for players to gain a bit of weight after the combine. In some cases it can be an issue. In most it probably isn't.

8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    a bit of weight? When we're talking about Jones he can't afford to gain anything. He needs to discipline himself and realize he's looking at the biggest pay day of his life in the draft and use that to work out and make sure he doesn't "gain a bit of weight" I'm not trying to argue with you but this guy is a huge risk for any NFL team. I hope we don't pick him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    When I fought I cut weight all the time....sometimes up to 16- 17 pounds......didn't mean I could finish drills, or get on a scale.
    He was worried about getting on the scales because He knows people are already worried about His weight, and He didn't want to prove them correct.
    Like I said ....if He was a pro for a few years already I could see it....., but if You don't have enough self control for a few months into a time that could change Your financial future.....How could He be trusted after He gets paid???
    I'm not saying He won't be good.....I'm saying Him, and a few others I'm really worried about.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I read that at his Pro Day he looked like he had gained significant weight and was probably over 400 lbs.

If he had actually weighed in that day, and came in at 405 lbs, do you think that drops him in the draft?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Jones pre-draft hype reminds me a lot of last year with Daniel Faalele the 6'9" 390 lb tackle the Ravens picked in the fourth round. The difference is that Jones has a lot more experience than Faalele who arrived from Australia out of HS without ever playing a down of football before.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would think most of these athletes would continue to work out and stay in shape after the combine, knowing their pro days are upcoming soon after.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So for those that think all this is a red flag......i simply ask this

If he weighed 379 at combine.... what would he need to weigh at pro day to go from a late first or 2nd to a top 10 pick?

If he was even 384 the narrative would be here we go

How much faster would he have to run to be in top 15? How far or high of a jump makes him hi from top 5 tackle to top 3 T?

There simply is nothing he can do to raise his draft stock..... but many things he can do to lower it

His tape shows an excellent prospect

HACK

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's not a red flag because of what He can , or can't do...it's a red flag because why hide something. If You as a person are not worried about something...You don't hide it.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Well...

We do know that Mike Tomlin and the Steelers have been in considerable contact with Dawand Jones ever since first meeting him back during the Senior Bowl in January. For that matter, Mike Tomlin seemed to be quite enamored with Dawand going back even then. That interest has continued to develop; even still having Dawand Jones Jr still set for a Pre Draft Visit despite the Steelers having been in contact with him at the NFL Combine and the Ohio State Pro Day. To say the interest is there is not an understatement.

Now... whether or not the Steelers should pick Dawand Jones Jr at 17 remains to be seen. Some don't see him as a late First but teams like Cincy, Jacksonville and even Kansas City wouldn't mind nabbing a player who literally blots out the sun. I personally agree with others with Dawand Jones not being on my list of first choices as he is currently best projected to be a Right Tackle and not a Left one. However, if the board breaks in the worst way possible?!... Pittsburgh could trade down but there are now reports indicating that the likes of Kansas City are willing to trade up along with Buffalo.

Truth be told... I would want Darnell Wright Jr from Tennessee as I see him as the best Right Tackle prospect in the class. However, I also see that Darnell Wright could be in play for even a team like Tampa Bay who is in need of an Offensive Tackle. As such, how the board breaks will determine who the Steelers will take.

.... Lets just hope the board breaks favorably. There is hope though in the form of both Tennessee and Las Vegas; a bidding war expected to occur for Arizona's spot. Houston's spot is also not out of the question as teams like Indy are also QB starved and would also welcome the idea... though Arizona is likely the better play for Indy and Houston share the same division. A couple of trades at the top could help break the board for the Steelers... or make it worse.

We will have to wait and see to hope for the best.

• Like Like x 2
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    TBH I am not sure Jones was ever a 17 prospect. He slides in really well at 32 or trading back up into the first to get. He's an Orlando Brown type and I can understand why he didn't do much in terms of testing simply because Orlando Brown did and went from a 1st rounder to a 3rd rounder because he performed poorly (at tests not made to be kind to men of their size). Now, if he truly is lazy, then I would hate to waste the pick on him but only the team can decide whether or not they feel like they can keep him motivated.

17 doesn't seem like he will be the BPA at. Too many other OT and CB that would be available. I'd love to have him at 32 or trading back into the high 20's for.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    when I fought I cut weight as well, my wife refused to cook and PB sandwich's were just old after the first day.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    He is going to be a bust. I hope they don't take him even if he's available in the 7th. I just have a really bad feeling about him. He will eat himself out of the NFL