1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coaching Question

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Mar 30, 2021.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Pittsburgh is kinda of a unique team in the NFL in that they have a well-known identity and isn't necessarily dictated by their head coach but more by history and culture, owners and so on. But talking in the FA thread got me thinking about OC/DC and the position coaches and staff. So how often do we see a major coordinator position changed and the coach pushes for his own guys instead of established ones on the team? I mean what if Matt Canada in his interview with Tomlin and Kevin said if I do this I want to bring in this guy and this guy and this one. When a HC is hired there is generally a change in staff almost 80% for sure.

I would think that trying to work with guys who are more tenured but maybe less qualified who are now subordinate would be tough never mind that your job depends on guys seeing your vision and translating that to players. Gotta think that some would request an assistant or 2.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I know we got a new OL Coach...How about RB and WR Coach

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    My guess is that the more established coordinators(Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, etc), probably have the stroke to bring in some of their own position coaches.

If you are a guy like Matt Canada, who just landed your first OC gig, then you are probably just happy you got the job. I can't imagine he made any position coach, or player requests.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ike Hillard is in his 2nd season as WR coach so his tenure is on par with Canada. I believe they hired a new TE coach as the previous one retired but I don't think they sat down and said ok Matt it's your show, what do you need.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    If I were Mike Tomlin, I would be trying to bring in a new HC. Couldn't hurt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The way we hire coaches is upside down in my opinion. You would think that if you have offensive/ defensive position coaches needing hired, the OC/DC would be engaged significantly in the hiring process to ensure continuity to their system they are bringing in. This is why I don't think much will change with the offense with Canada because His "system" will be what we've had and there isn't a need to find position coaches that have had experience in similar offenses/defenses so they went ahead and hired Canada's coaches prior to, and for him. Maybe I am thinking too much college hiring strategy but it would makes sense for the Coordinator who is in charge of instituting his vision either side of the ball has some say as to who is best to support him.

• Like Like x 1