1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Clock management not just a Steelers issue

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Dec 17, 2018.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    This may not belong in a Steelers topic. Feel free to move if deemed necessary. I only include it because we’ve had so many threads about it over the years as it relates to our own coaching.

Rams/Eagles game.... Rams take their final timeout with a running clock after a first down play on defense with 2:45 to go..... THE STUPIDEST TIME TO USE A TIMEOUT IN THE WORLD!!!!! The next play, the Eagles run and the play clock doesn’t start until 2:39. The timeout was completely wasted, and I will go so far as to say the Rams lost the game BECAUSE of that stupid timeout. They made some other bad staying inbounds decisions and simply ran out of time.

I know, I know.... who cares about the Rams? It’s just interesting to me. How can these coaches NOT know taking your last timeout with 2:45 and a running clock is the dumbest thing you can do? Can nobody do math? With all the millions flowing through the NFL, is there a special coaching position they can make paying a person $150K a year whose entire job is to call timeouts? I mean, math isn’t that hard, is it? What if it led to the chance for 1 more win per year? Would it be worth it to a team? Heck I’ll do it for $125K....

2. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Two min warning....plus...

You know who gets some blame there...the home clock keeper. He knows exactly when that ref will signal...he couldn't buy a second and a half there to make the eagles snap it at the 2:01 mark.

Regardless...sometimes things happen but remember...the Rams did have a chance.

You see coaches fuming all the time about an awfully quick play clock. Or one not starting soon enough.

It's called home cooking clock keeper.