1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

CFP Possibilities

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    One game doesn't make a season. What I said is the norm....not fixed in stone. Nothing outside of death is 100 %, but a lot of things are the usual of what happens, and the usual is what I was getting at.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Point is, this may not be the same Georgia of the past few years. Can Ole Miss beat them? Maybe. I want to watch that game unfold, but my wife bought us season tickets to the symphony so I’ll be there Saturday night. She’ll be pissed if I follow the game on my phone during the performance :lolol:

I think Georgia is vulnerable, and I definitely expect Alabama to beat them (by double digits) in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nothing wrong with going to the symphony. I enjoy it...one of My best friends play in the Fort Smith symphony....just not during football time. LoL.

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yup, I usually love it. Usually.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope Ole Miss upsets Geogia, I doubt that happens though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think 12 is to many as well, the 5 through 12 play and the top 4 get a bye, I would cut it to ten with the top 2 getting the bye. Someone is going to be unhappy even with 12, but the quality really gets this the deeper you go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Get rid of all these bowl games nobody attends, 12 should be just about right.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    So many possibilities remain.

1. Big 10: this one is easy, the winner of Michigan/OSU will be undefeated and the 1 or 2 seed
    2. SEC: the Alabama/Georgia game is set. It should be a one-loss Alabama vs undefeated Georgia, but I’ve seen the Iron Bowl be a spoiler for Alabama’s championship hopes before. It’s just one of those rivalry games, and it’s at Auburn this year. I expect that both teams will make it, and the only reasonable chance of the SEC getting 2 teams is an Alabama win.
    3. ACC: FSU has to win at Florida and then win the ACC championship, probably vs. Louisville. FSU seems vulnerable, but they just keep winning. Florida can significantly improve the SEC’s chances by taking them out.
    4. PAC 12: Washington and Oregon both have to get by Oregon State and then likely play for the PAC 12 championship. Oregon State has a huge say in whether the PAC 12 will get a CFP spot. For Washington it’s simple. Win out and get in. I think a one loss Oregon team that wins the PAC 12 would go in over any non-SEC one loss team.
    5. Big 12: Texas’ win head to head vs. Alabama is what keeps Texas slightly viable for a CFP bid. I think there’s a solid chance that Alabama beats Georgia, and a 1 loss Texas would get in over Alabama.

December 1st and 2nd will be a fantastic college football weekend (the PAC 12 is Friday night 12/1). It’s possible that all 5 of these conference championship games will affect the CFP field. An unofficial first round of the college playoffs. Before then, I think that both FSU and Texas are playing elimination games for their conferences. If either loses, their conference gets no bid.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Yea it will be interesting to see how they use/fill all the bowl slots. I guess it is still to be determined, but the opening game in the new playoff system is supposed to be a home game, so that leaves using the bowl system out, then do the losing teams still qualify for a bowl? All those bowls and some have a hard time finding 6 game winners, if you take 12 teams out, that leaves more p[ening for more lousy bowls, lol.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was thinking about this today. Most keep talking about Georgia looks weak this year.....yet they have beat more undefeated, and one loss teams than anyone, and they are getting better. If You compare the schedules with the teams, and their records when they played them....it's not close compared to what other teams have faced that are undefeated.

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I didn’t watch last night, but the score vs. Ole Miss was impressive. They didn’t look like last year’s Georgia when I watched them against Mizzou 2 weeks ago. I haven’t called them “weak.” I’ve said they are vulnerable, and I’m still picking Alabama to beat them. I think Alabama is playing the best ball in the country right now.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Did You see what Mizzou did last night??? They are good. They just don't have depth yet.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    With all said about Georgia....would anyone bet actual money against them against anyone besides maybe Bama????

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I was one of those people. However, after the last 3 weeks my tune has changed a bit. They’re playing their best football now that’s for damn sure. If they beat alabama they’ve got a solid shot at 3 in a row

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Choosing the final 4 might get interesting with the conference championships ahead. Unless Alabama defeats Ga I don't see a way in, Fl St and the big 10 winner are in, I do not see the SEC not being represented, but as it stands Alabama would have to jump Texas and the Oregon/Washington winner. This year you could easily take those top 8 teams and have a decent playoff, it drops off quickly after that, but still could be some decent games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't think Florida St beats Florida this week coming. You are correct though. I can see 8 teams that would make for a good playoff.

18. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    No SEC team? Not going to happen. In fact if Alabama beats Ga in SEC Championship Game, both if them are going to the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Fla st not going to make it, qb out

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Probably. There will be an undefeated Big 10 champ. I can’t see FSU winning out with Travis gone, and I’d be surprised if Washington beats Oregon twice, but if they do, there would be 2 undefeated conference champs who would get in ahead of a 1 loss, non conference champ Georgia team. Another thing that could screw things up for the SEC is that Texas holds a head to head tie breaker over Alabama if they remain at 1 loss and win their conference.

A few weeks ago I felt that Alabama was going to beat Georgia. Now I’m not so sure. A 2 loss Alabama team would certainly simplify things for the selection committee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I ask again. If You are betting with real money.....who would You put Your money on to beat Georgia....besides Bama??? If Your answer is nobody....then the selection committee needs to ask themselves the same thing honestly. Because it doesn't make them look good to have teams in there that Georgia spanks like they did last year. Everyone said TCU was the team, and they thought they were correct because they beat Michigan, but when they faced Georgia it wasn't even close. If You get beat by over 50 points....that shows the selection committee didn't do it correctly. It's not who is the most deserving, but who is actually the best 4 teams, or thats what it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I NEVER said TCU was the team, so I’m not sure who “everyone” is. In fact, if you look back to the thread on rankings at the end of last year you will see that I said that I would have picked Alabama over TCU. What I also said is that if a team from a Power 5 conference is undefeated, that team should be selected over a one loss team. TCU was not undefeated. The other thing that I’ve said more recently is that head to head matters. Texas beat Alabama. Do I think they would win a rematch? No. But that doesn’t matter. The committee shouldn’t ignore a head to head outcome and say “hmmm… Team A beat Team B and they have the same record, but eff Team A. Let’s give it to Team B anyway.” And no, I wouldn’t bet on any other team to beat Georgia other than Alabama, but if I were a gambler I would have also laid a bet on Georgia to cover in last year’s semifinal vs. Ohio State and would have lost. Georgia was great and was a missed field goal away from losing.

A few weeks ago I felt very good about Alabama beating Georgia. Georgia has been really upping their play since the Mizzou game. It’s a toss up. It should be a great game to watch. Conference championship weekend is going to be a blast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Are You feeling guilty?? I never said You....I believe I said....everyone (hyperbole) as in media....
    See we are different...last year the only two teams I thought had a chance against Georgia was Ohio State, and Bama...., and this year I believe Washington, and Bama are the only teams......it has been said many times that it's not the most deserving team that should be in the final 4, but the best 4 teams at the end of the season......so with that said......if Georgia is the top dog....should not the only team right now that has a chance of beating them be somewhere in the top 4???? Otherwise...if We go by just deserving....I guess Liberty Flames should get in if there are only 2 ,or 3 unbeaten teams.:shrug:

24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    This is a problem with the current system. The ones picking are supposed to follow a system, but often that system is given to politics and feelings. For instance losing a player (like FSU did with its QB) is not supposed to enter into the conversation, but it most certainly did or does. Not even saying its wrong, but if a team loses in it's conference championship game, and you have 4 one loss teams, and Fl State with no losses, then how to you keep them out. You do so by dropping them out of the top 4 to begin with, lol. I get that they are opting for the best possible play off, but in the end it really is just a guess and someone is going to be left out. When I look at the top 12 so far, some will certainly be gone, but all in all I think it would be a pretty good demonstration in a tournament setting. I think the first round could have some really interesting games, and even the second round could produce a surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Auburn trying to knockoff alabama