1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

CFP Possibilities

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Thread to discuss CFP possibilities and predictions. I don’t have time right now to get into my predictions, but here is an article that popped up for me regarding the realistic possibility for a CFP without an SEC team.

https://247sports.com/longformartic...xas-among-most-dangerous-teams-219620856/amp/

If FSU, Washington, the Michigan/OSU winner all finish unbeaten, Alabama beats Georgia and they both finish with 1 loss, and Texas wins the Big 12 with one loss, the SEC could be shut out. Heads would explode!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I want Georgia to win a third straight in a bad way, but don’t think this team has what it takes. With that being said if it’s not Georgia go some other non-sec team. With a couple exceptions no Ohio State or Michigan

3. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    A CFP without an SEC team would be like Corn Flakes without Milk. Even if BAMA and UGA had losses, they'd be capable of beating any of the ones in the CFP. Can't help it if they play in the toughest conference while the others have only a few challenges.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This. You can't have the SEC Invitation with out a SEC team being there. LoL

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st ....I'm not sure FSU gets through the rest of their schedule undefeated...let alone a conference championship. Same exactly with Texas. So that would only leave two teams.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Not my prediction, but it could happen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Good ol boy conference BE DAMNED

SEC sucks

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Someone sounds like a big 12 fan, or should I say ....little dozen???

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I believe she’s in ACC country.

10. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    A She She?

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Who’s to say?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I think the problem comes from if Bama, Georgia, and Texas all have 1 loss. Texas beat Bama head to head. If Bama beats GA, that would eliminate GA from contention. Texas beat Bama, same record, Texas gets in. Texas and 3 unbeaten teams. Bama and GA could still be better teams but I don’t know how it works any other way. In the OP scenario that is. The committee would still find a way I’m sure. We see games, for them it’s business.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Last year's National Championship is all they need to look at. Everyone that is honest knows Bama doesn't get blown out like that. Come on....even TCU fans couldn't watch after half time. A 50 point blowout is enough to say You don't belong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I was only commenting on the OP. The premise is if 3 teams finish undefeated, and Bama beats GA. I think the Big12 champion that beat the SEC champion head to head has a very real chance of getting that 4th spot. Talking this scenario only.

That being the case, I don’t think the SEC lets that happen to start with. If things played out exactly that way leading up to the SEC championship game, sorry Bama you’re taking one for the team. No way the SEC risks missing the CFP.

My hope is AU wins the IronBowl and Ole Miss sneaks into the SEC championship.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well. I actually have a feeling that there will be only two undefeated teams by the time the playoffs role around.
    Actually I would love to see that also. LoL. Chaos. LoL

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Can Ole Miss sneak into the championship with a head to head loss to Alabama? Is there a 3-way tie breaker between those two and LSU that favors Ole Miss? I admit, that would be a very fun scenario.

I would put a 1 loss Alabama or Georgia into the CFP over any other 1 loss team other than one who wins a head to head matchup. So if it’s between Alabama and Texas, Texas has to get the nod.

What I am loving is that we’re going to have some huge games these next few weeks with playoff implications. That’s great for college football, and I’m not so sure that the 12 team tournament that starts next year will deliver as much regular season drama. I think 4 is fine. 8 would have been OK. 12 is too many.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I think if Bama were to lose to AU they would then have 2 losses.

Also, what if Mich loses to PSU, then beats OSU?

The playoff has unofficially started. That absolutely is what makes the season fun. I don’t know if adding teams will help or hurt that. Fans just want a chance at a shot. Conferences just want to make money. I guess we’ll find out which format we each like better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Sweet chaos.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Just realized my mistake. You are correct. Even if Bama loses the Iron Bowl that’s 1 loss in conference. 2 overall but the conference championship only goes by conference losses. CFP is overall.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Here’s a situation that would be fun. Ole Miss beats Georgia this weekend. Then, Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC championship and both Georgia and Ole Miss finish with 1 loss. If you couple that with (3) unbeatens: Big 10 champ, Washington and FSU, then who gets the 1 loss bid? Does it go to Ole Miss head to head (even though they didn’t qualify for their conference championship game) or does it go to the SEC champ who is also the two time defending national champ? I think it goes to Ole Miss due to head to head.

Sweet chaos!

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    JMO, but I think 6- 8 would have been perfect, but 12 is too many.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ole Miss has the coaching, but not the horses. That's why they can't compete yet. Just watch Bama, Georgia , and usually Ohio State teams.....they constantly rotate Guys in that are as good as most starters on most teams. It's very hard to compete with that for a full game. While the Teams they face are bringing in guys that are less than as rotation. It makes it tough. I see it all the time. Teams hang for the first 3 quarters, and then the levee breaks. Too much pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    SEC and Big10 didn’t want to play in the 8 team version. But I agree that was the way to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I watched Georgia vs Mizzou last Saturday, and without Mizzou’s QB folding late in the game that game is really close, maybe an upset. That QB KILLED his team’s chances with the most absurdly thrown ball I’ve seen in a long, long time, and then played poorly the remainder of the game. He had been solid for 3 quarters.

• Agree Agree x 1