1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

CFP & FBS Conferences

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by steelersfan35, Dec 21, 2023.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    IMO, it would be nice to see a team outside of the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, & Pac 12 in the CFP, even though the 12 team playoff format will change everything, it’s unlikely that any team from the following conferences will ever get a playoff berth (besides Notre Dame):

FBS Independents, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, American Athletic Conference, Sun Belt Conference, and the Mountain West Conference

Furthermore, a majority of the college football recruitment process goes through the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, & Pac 12. Smaller FBS conferences don’t stand much of a chance, when compared to Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. which explains why Liberty isn’t the CFP this year…

However, current and former NFL players have played in various conferences and division levels of football, which means that an SEC QB may be projected as a Top 5 pick, while other players may turn out just as good or even better… (Ben Roethlisberger played at Miami Ohio in the MAC)

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I get the sentiment, but even in a 12 team format those conferences are unlikely to get a team in, there might be a donut thrown for a while, but in the coming years look for a continuing shift to 3-4 big conferences, and even those being cut down. Washington St and Oregon St were left out, and eventually other programs might find themselves in the same situation. Fl St is beginning the process to try and get out of the ACC (like it was their fault they were not in the final 4). Everyone wants a cut of the pie, problem is the big boys want the whole thing. It may not happen, but would not surprise me if eventually the other smaller conferences are formed into an alliance that forms yet another level of competition for another championship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If it was about one or two great players on a team.....I could see Your point. Yes most teams have one , or two great players, but for making a great team , and making the playoffs.....it take more than one , or two great players. This is the excuse people used to get Cincinnati in when everyone said they shouldn't be in, and as it proved....they put up a whole 6 points, and got thrashed....hell it could have been worse, but Bama had their 2nd, and 3rd string in by the 4th quarter. I do agree their are great players on every team.....just not enough to compete with other teams. It's the way it is, and will always be. More teams than there are awesome players, and the players that can choose to go wherever they want will flock ti the teams they have the best chance of winning, and getting drafted from. It's always been that way. People act like Bama just got good. They've been win championship since the 1930s....if I remember correctly.

4. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I was going to start a new thread, but nah. lol I used to enjoy bowl games then it got ridicules, but this year it does and did have some interesting matches. Missouri (who had a great year) beat OSU, Iowa plays Tenn, PSU plays Ole Miss, players opting out hurts, but these games show pretty much the conference battles between closely ranked teams so you get an idea how far the SEC might be ahead of the rest (or even) with the Big 10. Each year and teams are different, but still a frame work in recruiting, coaching, eventual porter transfer affect. Makes it fun at least.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    People should be ashamed that Georgia isn't in the playoffs. Not just for this game, but just think....their only loss in like two years..is to the only team they lost to before that....Bama.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    that they dropped to 6 is the biggest joke. At least the 12 team format will correct some of this. I cannot remember if conference title games will still be in the mix, and with conferences so large it will be hard to determine the champion of that conference without one, but the big push should be getting in the playoffs. 12 seems to be about right, if you look at this years bowls anything beyond that seems like fairytales, but money talks, so eventually 14 or 16 im sure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Do away with these bowls not associated with the 12 team playoff,
    Work out an insurance plan for players that still want to play( NFL caliber players)
    change the early signing period and tranfer portal back to February.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Last year I read and heard it is new and will work itself out, concerning everything from NIL and transfer, players opting out of bowls, etc. The issues for a lot of this is different authorities that do not belong to something that can impute rules on the other. The bowls (while sanctioned by the NCAA are independent and many are controlled outright by ESPN. Insurance policies of this type are not cheap, and why would someone settle for a policy, unless it pays out what he feels he might get from the NFL longterm (its subjective, but still relevant). ON another forum people were tying in things like withhold NIL payment until the final game, fine, but unless thats specified in the contract get ready for major lawsuits.

Fl State is suing to get put of the ACC because its to expensive to leavr, but you approved the contract just a while ago? LOL One guy mentioned a 32 or 36 team playoff, esentially you would use the 6 team bowl teams to fill many of those spots...is that really necessary of the championship we want? We love the tradition of college football, but you cannot keep that tradition...it has already been dismantled and many schools will be left out, how they do it IDK, but the old days and ways are just that, and won't be returning.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    So many players opt out of these bowls,and now with transfer portal in the mix it
    makes easier for these players to opt out. Wonder how college football even with a 12 team format will prevent opt outs?

10. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Thats true, and watching some of the teams that likely would have been in the 12 team format (if it were this year), while some of the games we OK, anything below that would likely just be garbage. I get the Anger from those when FSU and GA were excluded, and GA probably should have been in, but do we really want to see a 60 point drubbing in a final 4 game?

11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Not according to Kirby Smart.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My whole problem with the whole thing is.....I honestly believe Georgia is the Better SEC team, and they should have been in . I would bet money if Georgia, and Bama played 3 games Georgia wins 2 out of 3 every time. I actually believe the college football committee knew the same, and believed Alabama would be a closer match up for the other 3 teams, and was afraid Georgia would blow them all out, and make bad TV. That's my complaint.

13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I could see that as well, my unofficial tally in the bowl games so far is something like SEC 2 0r 3, big 10 one, lmao. Yes Maryland that powerhouse beat Auburn, there are several more to come, besides Michigan, who may or may not get beat, it does not look good for the big 10 this year, lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really outside of the playoffs....nobody is playing with the same team that they were playing with last month. So it's hard to really tell what's what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am excited to see some players from
    All teams that could become future Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Florida State played the game with 20 players out.
    I believe this is why Kirby Smart said that the whole bowl
    situation needs looked at.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So did Georgia. Georgia is the best team in the SEC, and in no way should they have been left out of the Playoffs. If Georgia played Bama 3 times in a row...they would win 2, out of 3. I would personally bet that.

18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Did they play with that many guys out? I have no dog
    In the fight . Just curious how many actually opted out for Ga?

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Over 20. Hell they had over 10 that left in the transfer portal.

20. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Just checking in…. Kinda surprised noone on here talking about Steelers drafting Bo KFP Jr Nix on here. Im proud of y’all!

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell no. I seen Him in the SEC. Just because He left so He could look good....I don't want him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Well, there went Liberty’s undefeated season.

23. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Thought they already loss one

24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    No, they were undefeated. Here we go again.. red flag challenge has been initiated.

25. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    After further review the ruling on the field stands… that was Liberty’s first loss. I already lost a red flag challenge earlier today, gave up one of my life timeouts!