1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Carson Strong!

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Coolhandluke23, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Strong has mobility.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I watched him play a few times last season, the biggest knock on him is lack of mobility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I think people seem to have varying definitions of mobility. Some people think that a mobile QB should have 300 to 500 yards rushing in a season, yet say that Big Ben was a mobile QB in his younger years yet in 2005, his first SB year and 2nd year in the league he had a grand total of 69 yards rushing.

Those same people also say that Matt Stafford is not mobile at all, yet he is only 100 yards behind ben in career rushing (1200ish to 1300ish) and has 5 more years to surpass Ben in career rushing.

Rushing yards for a QB are the least important thing when it comes to QB mobility. Can Strong move the pocket when things break down, yes. Is he Josh Allen, no.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not talking about running for 300-500 yards, that's not what the Steelers are looking for, they want a QB who move in the pocket and extend the play.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I think that is what I said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Oh yeah?! Watch 6' 10" Randy Johnson kill this dove. That's something no shorter pitcher has ever accomplished.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    If that is what Tomlin wanted he wouldn't say anything about mobility. Tomlin would just want an average QB in terms of mobility. He would think to himself that he didn't want a statue in the pocket; he wouldn't repeatedly bring up mobility over the course of a year... "What I'm looking for in a QB is that he has better running ability than Peyton or Brady (pretty good QBs btw)." No one would say that because it's not how you pick a QB. "I want a QB with better arm strength than Chad Pennington, better pocket awareness than Jamarcus Russell and better accuracy than Tim Tebow." Sounds ridiculous right?

The most highly mobile prospects are Willis and Ridder and unfortunately I think the Steelers will be looking at them very closely. Having Colbert and Tomlin at a pro day is huge.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly My thoughts. Why bring it up if normal Qb mobility is what You are talking about?
    Unless it's a Smokescreen. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    If the Steelers hadn't drafted Dixon and Dobbs and signed Vick it would be a better smokescreen. :lolol:

For me I want to know if Tomlin wanted Lamar Jackson. I bet he did and I support Tomlin in that desire if he did want Jackson and was vetoed. No way of knowing until after Tomlin retires (if then) I imagine. I mocked Jackson to the Steelers based on his being arguably the best running QB prospect ever, and Pittsburgh having collected mobile QBs (none of which were very good). Jackson is vastly more athletic than Malik Willis. I think it is a huge mistake to have passed on Jackson but then take Willis who isn't nearly the prospect. If you pass on Jackson then draft a pocket QB which are better anyways. You don't ignore a generational talent and then get a knockoff version four years later.

Willis is a slower and worse runner than Jackson, and a worse passer. And Jackson hasn't exactly killing it with his Andy Daltonesque playoff performances.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know what you're talking about, Art said it too they're looking for a QB with some mobility, not a runner.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers were never going to draft Lamar, Ben was still playing at a good level, they weren't going to use a first round pick on a QB to sit for a few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    They are literally looking at a running QB in Malik Willis. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Ben was 36. You sit Lamar one year.

I am not a running QB guy by any means and I still thought the Steelers would and should draft Jackson. My concern was that he would be injured running the ball and was too skinny for the NFL. LJ built very similar to RGIII.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Except Ben played until he was 39:shrug:.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They're doing their due diligence and talking to probably every QB at the Senior Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah, that's why Tomlin, Colbert and Canada all chatted up Willis' parents. They're really not interested. Just using 1 of 10 or fewer Pro Day visits just for due diligence. And when they don't look at Carson Strong that's also due diligence somehow and they're just as interested in him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You're a Maddog wannabe, and you're not very good at it :shrug:.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't even know who that is.

Tomlin also met with Carson Strong. Hopefully he doesn't F this up.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin won't be making the decision by himself, duh, there were reports Art II was at the Senior Bowl this week and Colbert will have a say too.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin has never had more power. This is his QB to choose. It will be Willis or Ridder maybe Howell.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So what, he won't be making the decision alone.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hope it's none of the above.

23. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    After watching the senior bowl, more like Carson Weak!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Strong didn’t do himself any favors in Mobile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i expect they will go into the lab and put dobbs brain and haskins arm and willis' feet and build a QB that MT wants. i think he wants a black running QB and i expect that's what he will get. mason will probably become trade bait. in the words of mr. mustard, we're doomed.

anyway, i hope it's ridder if they go this route. i thought he looked like he had decent command during the sr. bowl. i doubt it though. :cool:

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1