1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't wait for someone to discover the PFF post on Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think a distinction between "data" and "analysis" should be made. I would think teams would collect data from a variety of sources as this is just collecting information/numbers based on whatever you want to collect numbers/ data on. However, I believe each team does their own analysis of whatever data they feel is in their best interest or how they historically value data on certain aspects of the game. Teams probably pay people a lot of money to do this and wouldn't rely on something or someone outside of their organization especially if they are doing the same for other teams. Someone needs to call MT and ask who does their thinking for them. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    PFF is advertising that NFL uses their services, not so sure they are letting them do that for free. The NFL doesn’t need PFF and the amount teams rely on them is probably minuscule. As Hog said, I’m sure it’s just for data reference and there are several sites they could go to for that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    PFF definitely puts some good information out there. They do a fairly good job of evaluating players. I find some of these coach ratings they are putting out there to be garbage.

I find PFF to be a useful tool for fans, and members of the media to stay informed. I don't believe for one second that any NFL team relies on information they receive from PFF. These teams have plenty of guys on their staffs to evaluate players. I would trust the judgment of former players and coaches far more than I would some of the analytics nerds that work for PFF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    32 out of 32 is not miniscule, even if the didn't grade Ben or Bush as high as some had hoped.

You guys are peeing into a fan on this one.

5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    NFL teams have their own analytics nerds. That's the way the game is going.

Merrill Hoge thinks every Steeler player is a hall of famer. I don't trust his opinion on them as much as I do someone grading every single play.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You misunderstood, how much those 32 teams use them is probably minuscule.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with the first part of this. That is the way the NFL is going. But this is kind of my point. NFL teams have their own guys. They don't rely on PFF.

Hoge is a huge Steelers mark. He is far more analytical when analyzing other teams than he is the Steelers. I am sure that would be different if he was a paid team scout.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    He's one of the muppets?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1