1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we cut mason? (Cap space?)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, May 1, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. I'd love to see them get some value out of Rudolph. Maybe some team finds itself in need of a backup and they can deal him for a draft pick.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah I was just thinking that Masons advantage of knowing the offense surely isn’t that great considering they probably aren’t running that offense moving forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is fine as a backup, but he's not good enough to be a starter in the NFL. It's not about making him a scapegoat. He played poorly most of the time in 2019. He did nothing most of the one game he started in 2020, then hit a few passes late. His one start in 2021, he played poorly against a bad team. He did make one good throw in overtime, but unfortunately, that was the one Johnson fumbled away. The last play was his fault, not Freiermuth's. He threw to a guy three yards down field with two defenders between him and the sideline. He put his receiver in a terrible position. That's on him.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Unfortunately at some positions all we have are backups

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Every QB that has ever played here is a scapegoat, from Bradshaw to Ben, its just the Yinzer way lol. The entire team played poorly in 2019. Injuries, dropped balls, poor play and no Oline also affects a QB's play. The loss of Brown, Bell, Gilbert and James certainly didn't help that year in addition to the hit and concussion Rudolph took during the Ravens game and then the Cleveland fiasco. Has the guy made a few mistakes, I could name a list of others who have too from coaching on down.

When I am looking at the stats, I'm not seeing the dismal outlook that so many have on the guy considering the little he has played outside of being injured, especially during the 2019 season. The Cleveland game in the playoffs wasn't a fluke. Who didn't play poorly during that Detroit game?

In some ways I'm reminded of the belief that so many still have that Kordell was the worst Steelers QB ever still to this day, yet he went to 2 AFC Championship games, 2 Pro Bowls (one as an alternate), AFC player of the year and runner up as NFL player of the year all as a QB. Out of all time Steelers QB's he is 3rd in yardage and TD's. Hardly the worst ever, but thats the popular mindset.

Lets be honest, QB's are fun to hate in this town and are very much scapegoated, they are the easy targets. I'm not saying Rudolph is the franchise savior but he's not the worst either, an average QB and game manager so far. The front office still sees the potential otherwise they wouldn't have extended him. Just a few interesting facts below from the Steelers site and a recap of the 2019 season from Wiki,interesting when you go back and look at each of those games and what went wrong.

2019 Season recap:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season

https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/mason-rudolph/

PRO CAREER

• Career Regular-Season Record as a Starter: 5-4-1 (.550): 5-3 (.625) in '19 and 0-1 (.000) in '20
    • Played in 16 games (10 starts) over his three-year NFL career
    • Completed 231-of-376 passes (61.4 percent) for 2,331 yards and 16 TDs in his career
    • Set franchise records for a QB in first career home start (9/30/19 vs Cincinnati) in completions (24), completion percentage (85.7), and QB rating (124.6)
    • Set single-game career high in passing yards (315) at Cleveland in Week 17 of 2020 (1/3/21)
    • Set single-game career high in pass attempts (44) at Cleveland in Week 11 of 2019 (11/14/19)
    • Set single-game career high in completions (26) vs. Indianapolis in Week 9 of 2019 (11/3/19)
    • Registered five multi-TD passing games
    • First quarterback in NFL history to register his first two career wins on Monday Night Football
    • Third quarterback since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to record a passer rating of at least 81.4 and throw a TD in each of his first seven career starts
    • Fifth quarterback since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to throw a TD in each of his first eight career games (Jay Cutler, Mike Glennon, Oliver Luck and Mark Rypien)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well other than that :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My main thing is this....
    Out of the 4 Qbs on this team.....Who has actually Won games on this team, knows the verbiage, and actually knows the players????
    I can only think of one out of the 4.
    Would seems silly 2 Me that He would be the 1st cut.....Unless they(the other Qbs) just all blow Him away in the preseason .

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm not suggesting they should cut him. The question was asked if it was possible. The answer is probably yes. Cap space and injuries could play a factor.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's cool. I wasn't trying 2 suggest You had been. Sorry if it came off like such. :thumbs_up:
    I was just throwing my 2 cents in.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No worries at all brother.

• Like Like x 1
  11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    We can but I think it’s going to come down to if he would want to stay.
    For all concerned look for them to move him and rather quickly. <IMO>

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Who has more talent in your opinion Mason or the idiot on the Browns and the Browns can’t move him let alone quickly

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know You weren't talking 2 Me, but I believe Mason. I said that when they were drafted.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll talk to anybody

They don’t even have to listen

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph does not have more talent than Mayfield. What the heck are some of you thinking? Mayfield has a much stronger arm and he is more athletic. Now if you want to talk about what is between the ears, honestly, I don't think either of them has what it takes when the pressure is on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    A team's record when a quarterback plays is a measure of the team, not the quarterback.

The Steelers fell far behind in that game against the Browns in 2020 because he couldn't move the offense. Then he started ripping up a prevent defense and the Browns couldn't find the gas pedal again until it was nearly too late.

Spare me the records against the Bengals. Did you watch that game? Almost everything he threw was short. The Bengals' linebackers in that game were horrid. There might be high school quarterbacks who could have completed 80 percent of their passes against that defense.

Why does the game he set his career high in attempts matter?

Who cares that his first two wins came on Monday night? How is that a measure of his ability?

I never claimed that Rudolph was the worst. He's a fine backup, but counting on him to be anything more is silly.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm going by when I watched them in college, and judged them for the draft. Also I thought We are in agreement Arm Strength is a lazy way 2 judge a Qb. Also You cannot compare the Schools,and talent around them then. Since Sooners went 2 the College playoffs with 2 different Qbs after Baker left.
    Anyway I had both Mason,and Baker going in the late 2nd round, and neither went then....So:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    My god, I'm trying to find a good reason to keep Rudolph and coming up blank.

If Trubisky is the starter and gets hurt, you go to Pickett. If Pickett is the starter and gets hurt, you go to Trubisky. Rudolph is on the last year of his contract. He has no future here which means there's no reason to have him play, unless you believe he'll give us the best chance of getting in the playoffs should the starter get hurt. Given the body of evidence, including the fact the Steelers themselves have no faith in him, I see no reason to believe that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Arm strength isn't Mayfield's only advantage over Rudolph. He is also more athletic. He does a better job avoiding the rush and he seems quicker once he takes off to run.

Physical talent isn't everything, which is why I also mentioned what is between the ears.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Lol, I'm only sharing what the Steelers have highlighted on their page at the link I posted above, I guess that is a question to ask them?:shrug:
    https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/mason-rudolph/

Ok, so we can agree he is a fine back up as you mentioned above? I never claimed he was any better than that. But the reality is, whether we like it or not, until an actual starter is named, he still has a chance to go into camp and win the starting job. I keep seeing people post that the Steelers have no confidence in him. If that was the case, he would have already been released and not given the contract extension that they recently gave him.

And if he gets traded, released, wins the starter job or is 2nd or 3rd string then so be it. I will root for him as long as he is a Steeler just as I would for anyone on our team. I just don't understand why so many hate on him.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So you were regurgitating public relations crap. Got it.

Actually, no, your logic doesn't hold up there. The team could have very little or no confidence in him, but still want to hold on to him for now in the hopes that some other team will be fooled by some of the positives in his past and his experience and trade for him. They have invested significant resources this offseason in making sure they had someone other than him as the starter now and long term. Also, remember that his own teammates never seemed to consider him as the starter going forward. They all talked about having faith in the team to bring in Roethlisberger's replacement. That shows a lack of faith in Rudolph.

It isn't hating on the guy to point out his limitations.

22. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    If they need to, it will get done.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I “almost” feel sorry for Mason

He went from yeah Ben’s gone I’m out of his shadow I’m number one and I date a SI model

to:

I may be cut and the hot chick dumped my ass

Almost

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ok, no use in arguing with you, this is like beating a dead horse lol. Again, I simply shared a source on the Steelers page that they posted regarding some stats, if you want to debate that, I guess take it up with them. You really are grasping at straws I see. But hey, rock on man! Im just glad to be a Steelers fan. We shall see how it all plays out in camp.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1