1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Where was he his first 3 years? Remember he was a first round draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as a DE in college it took some time to learn the spot. he only started 9 games his first two years. year two he only was available for 7 games and started 5. when they finally switched sides with him it got better. that happens with some players. they just can't do it from either side. remember porter didn't start right off the bat either. coaching change as well during his time. position and coordinator. i'd like to keep bud but it doesn't look like that will happen. he may have been a little over drafted because of his speed numbers but we have seen a lot of that. :cool:

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    All good points Mac, but in the salary cap era a first round selection must make
    some impact, I am sorry folks these red shirt years have to go away. High drafted
    players need to make contributions quickly.

4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    IF...They somehow retain Bud, draft Zaven Collins 1st round, Bush back...This D can be scary good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. xcodizzlex

xcodizzlex Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    His first few years he was being Coached by Joey Porter. he was an amazing player but did not do well at developing LB's. Bud would run past the qbs and leave the edge open. Once Peezy left Bud had a more system approach and set the edge

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll show more appreciation if I know he'll continue as a Steeler. Will you still give him love if he's on another team taking Ben down for the count? Besides, in his 5 years here, 3 were bad and people calling him a bust and 1.5 yrs of being who we though he should be as a 1st rd pick and some sounding like he's the goat now. So Bud, thanks for what you've done for us lately and I really hope you stay with us, But if you leave and go to another team, I hope you suck especially if you are playing The Pittsburgh Steelers.
    I thought I'd end with this little controversial tid bit: There was another LB that, to me, did far more for the Steelers than Bud did, left to go to anther team a few years ago, albeit for a completely different reason, and got a lot hate and scorn on this board. I wonder if you know whom I am referring to and if Bud gets the same treatment if he actually takes the money and runs?

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Until the playoffs come lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I would think that high school defensive containment players (DEs, OLBs) know only to go as deep as the ball to prevent leaving the edge open. I really hope that it didn't take another coach to drive this home to a professional player. I think it is more of trying to get favorable stats vs fulfilling as assignment. Then again, maybe it did take another coach and you're right. Who knows. JMO>

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    oh i agree, but as we know our steeler brass are slow to pick up on these things. :smiley1: it's pretty critical for backups to also have ability these days. thats why i don't discount players like coyle and watson to be ready to step in on the line for us. that year or so in the system and pro coaching means a lot. some guys we have like collins and leglue have had several years now with pro coaching. these are guys we need to take a step when given the chance. as we see our brass is high on collecting these types anymore. we do use our PS as a farm system probably more then most teams do. AV, feiler, harrison, pierre, spillane, banner, etc..... :cool:

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Yep... Heyward was gasping for breath after the first series..And Watt got dominated by a 3rd string Tackle, who signed 3 days before the game...And they were held out week 16!!!!!...Truly Embarrassing! Tomlin Special!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1