1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bonus for Mitch?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Sep 23, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Honestly, I don’t expect Pickett to come in and set the world on fire, it doesn’t usually happen that way for a rookie. I’d like him to come in and take his lumps, win some battles and lose some, learn how to deal with success and failure. He needs to see what it’s like to run an NFL offense against the speed and brutality of an NFL defense. How many times have we heard that he’s the most NFL ready quarterback coming out? Some said he’d be ready to start day one. I just don’t understand Tomlin’s dogged determination to stick with mediocre Mitch. The guy does not deserve the benefit of the doubt based on his play so far this season and his NFL career as a whole. What we’re seeing is who he’s always been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Tomlin’s dogged determination probably stems from the FACT qb play isn’t our sole issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Not the sole issue but it IS the primary issue on offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    really? A half dozen dropped passes Thursday night didn’t have any effect? They didn’t kill any possessions at all? Didn’t put our defense back on the field yet once again against arguably the best running back duo in the league? Claypool whiffing on his blocking assignments? Bringing in a guy that’s never taken a snap fixes everything? Edit whoops that should be fixes our “primary issue”

I’m pretty sure I’ve read here on more than one occasion coaches are supposed to put their players in a position to succeed. Assuming that’s true isn’t the smart play to iron out the other issues first? As opposed to throwing a rookie to the wolves and forcing him to overcome issues with other players as well. By the way being the most pro ready does not mean a player is pro ready.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Re-read what I wrote. Trubisky is not the sole issue but he is the primary issue. Good quarterbacks make plays that overcome dropped passes and other mistakes. How many times did Ben make a great play after a dropped pass? With Trubisky, there is no margin for error. Every play must be made, every pass caught, every block executed to perfection because he doesn’t give you many opportunities so you’d better capitalize on every opportunity you have. Keep putting your faith in mediocre Mitch if you’d like. I’m sure it’ll eventually payoff for you. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    And by the way, re-read my earlier comment posted above. Did I say bringing in Pickett solves everything? I think at times you like to re-write posts to help your own argument or your reading comprehension could use some refining.

Whoops, I see you edited your comment from “fixes everything” to “fixes our primary issue”. Same thing holds true. I expect the QB play to improve if Pickett is brought in but I don’t expect perfection and we’ll see rookie struggles. Right now we’re seeing rookie struggles from a 6 or 7 year vet.

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    And when those dropped passes come on consecutive 3rd downs? I’m not putting my faith in Mitch. I’m saying there is more going on than just Mitch and putting a guy that’s never taken a snap in an nfl game doesn’t fix the other issues. It just makes things that much more difficult for Pickett. Again coaches are supposed to put their players in a position to succeed. The odds of Pickett succeeding are already stacked against him. Far more players fail than succeed. It’s that simple. I want Pickett to succeed. I want every single player we draft or sign to succeed. Sadly that will never be the case. Put him in the best position to succeed!

this bringing up Ben thing is already tired. Ben is a probable first ballot HOF’er. Comparing him to any other quarterback other than hof’ers is just plain wrong. You have the legendary players, good players, average players, and busts. Comparing legendary players to the other 3 tiers as if it’s sump trump card? Come on man

9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Come on, Heinz, I’ve seen some of your responses on this board and I know you’ve got more to offer than a passive aggressive emoji. Tell me what it is about my post that you disagree with.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pickett doesn't have enough supporting cast around him. I disagree about OL, RB and WR. All overrated, IMO.

11. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Just pay the back up he is your man mine is Kenny but we have to watch this debacle all year sooooooooooooo why didnt we save money and just start mason

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for clarifying.

13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Im not comparing Mitch to Ben. There is no comparison. I’m just saying that a good quarterback playing above the line can elevate his team’s play so that they can overcome the inevitable mistakes that will come during the course of a game. That’s why every error that’s made during a game, a muffed punt, a dropped pass or interception, an inopportune fumble, missed block, etc. is amplified because mediocre Mitch rarely puts us in position to have success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Okay you’re not comparing

pointing to what a probable first ballot hall of famer did vs what an average player did is just wrong

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

They are paying the backup. Isn’t Kenny the backup? There are probably a couple reasons for that. My bet is they felt Mitch is better than mason.

16. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Then they pick a QB with each pick of next year's draft until they find a good one. Duh. Do you even watch football?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    All the time. Love watching men and women kick that round ball around.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1