1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BigBen First Ballot HOF question/debate

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, May 22, 2023.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As we all know, BigBen is without a doubt headed to Canton and should be first ballot HOF. In a similar situation I think we can all agree Jerome Bettis should have been a first ballot HOF, but was criticized for his stats the last few years with some stating he hung on too long. Does anyone foresee BigBen facing a similar fate on his first year of eligibility? While Ben played at a high level, throughout his career he was not often viewed as elite outside of Pittsburgh. After returning from his elbow injury some may argue there was a bit of a drop off. I hope I'm wrong, but I could see a scenario where Ben does not get in on his first year. His second year of eligibility would pit him against Brady. What's everyone's thoughts on this scenario?

2. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Should be in first year, but those voters often bring a lot of outside influence into the equation such as popularity and politics, etc. and being that Ben was a polarizing character and had all of that dram early in his career I could defiantly see them holding that against him and perhaps he ends up not getting in for a few years.

3. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Good point about the early drama in his career. If they only look at the stats and they way he revolutionized the position with his toughness, he should be a first ballot. A good measure may even be Eli Manning. If he gets in as a first ballot then Ben should without question. On a popularity and political side of it, Steeler fans never gave up on Ben. I've known plenty of Giants fans who were ready to give up on Eli for a few critical game ending interceptions.

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The NFL HOF loves QBs, Ben will be in for sure, will it be first ballot. I don't think. 2nd or 3rd try more likely.

I like Ben... but guys like Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning, no brainer 1st ballot guys.

5. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Just about every franchise QB hung around for too long. Marino, Montana, Aikman, Farve…

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Those two aren't really relevant because they won't be on the ballot in 2027. Brady will have to wait another year. Gronkowski, Richard Sherman, and Adrian Peterson are some of the guys who will be on the ballot for the first time along with Roethlisberger. He could easily get in on the first ballot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Personally to me to be 1st ballot you have to be the best at your position for most the ERA you played. I put Ben as deserving of HOF, but not 1st ballot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    You just hit one point I was hesitant to go. The thought of 2nd or 3rd try being a possibility. If Ben isn't a first ballot, his second try would be a class including Brady. I could see him being denied just to give the spotlight to Brady as the only QB in that class.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It's a toss up - Pittsburgh is about 100 miles from Canton and Miami of Ohio is about 250 miles. Short drive either way. Will depend on his competition at the time especially at QB. He's got the jewelry and stats. Never really convicted of anything other than in the court of public opinion. Wouldn't be the first time that Pgh fans feel dissed. :shrug:

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Thing that " should " help Ben is ..Neither of those 2, are in the same year of eligibility as Ben...

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a fine idea, but it doesn't work that way. It certainly isn't true for quarterbacks. The player just has to be among the top options on the ballot that season and there really isn't much doubt that Roethlisberger is a Hall of Famer.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Top 5, or higher in all major stats, owns a couple of NFL all time records, and has been to 3 SBs, and won 2. Only a hater would not make Him a 1st ballot HOF.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think some will vote against him, at last on the first ballot, due to character issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I had him as a first ballot until he made that Kenny remark lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would be totally surprised if he is a first ballot HOF.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben is 1st ballot. He is top 10 in the major passing categories.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    A lot of “character” guys are in the hall. Let’s not forget that was also young Ben. He was the youngest QB to win the superbowl. Without rehashing the whole thing, nobody outside of the ones in the room really know the truth.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t think there’s any doubt Ben will be a first ballot HOFer, even though I do think that there was a lot of career success left on the table. I think some of the best teams Ben quarterbacked underperformed in the post season and failed to realize their full potential.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

For that matter, I wouldn't be shocked nor surprised if Big Ben wasn't a first ballot HOF player. Given in the era of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and even Drew Brees?!.... phew man... that is not an easy argument to overcome for his candidacy; much less over hold overs from previous years come 2027.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    But it is clear how they got to that room, and that accounting still makes him look like a jackass. There were others stories of him behaving like an ass, not to mention clashing with Cowher over riding the motorcycle, which led to the accident that could have killed him.

I'm not saying any of it will keep him from getting in, but there will be voters who will say nay on the first ballot because Roethlisberger is an *******.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How about the QB himself? He couldn't carry a team on his back like great QB's do, He should have retired after year 12.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Eli Manning 2025
    Drew Breeze 2026
    Ben 2027
    Brady 2028

Breeze and Brady are hands down first ballot HoF. Ben and Eli are borderline. If Eli doesn't make it in 2025, I could see them voting him in in 2027 and kicking Ben to 2029. Although it seems that if you keep yourself in the media spotlight, like Eli has, you're more likely to get in fast When it comes to being an actual human being, Eli is far more likeable than Ben.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is more likeable, but Roethlisberger was a much better quarterback. Manning had two great playoff runs, but otherwise, he waffled between above average and terrible. Hell, there were times that I heard Giants fans calling for him to be benched during the season when they won the first of their two Super Bowls with him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Ben will easily be a first ballot HOF selection. Like Std said, he holds many NFL passing records and is in the top 5 in many more. When you add the 2 rings it is a no-brainer, of course he will be selected on the first ballot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    41 4th Qtr comeback wins.
    3 Super Bowls Appearances.
    6 Pro Bowls
    A QB you had to account for.

I imagine there could be a legit argument for him not being a 1st ballot - and I could say in these crazy days, it would not surprise me.
    But there are a lot more for him being a 1st ballot.

I want to see him in a gold coat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1