1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Rivalry in the NFL and not even close

Discussion in 'Football Talk With Other Fans' started by thundercleetz, Nov 29, 2013.

1. thundercleetz

thundercleetz Member

May 12, 2013
    Two games, five points, split series; each team takes care of their business at home, just barely.

I know it was a tough loss for you guys, but this was an exhilarating rivalry game. It had everything you would expect from a Ravens-Steelers game: prime time atmosphere, fights, drama, hard hits, and coming right down to the wire. I honestly feel this is the first season where the Ravens and Steelers are on equal standing. In the past you have always had a one-up, big brother relationship with us because of the playoff wins and two Super Bowls. But after our Super Bowl and this season split, these are two very even franchises in the 21st century. Ben and Flacco went throw-for-throw, extending plays, and converting some huge third downs (79.7 vs 83.1 Total QBR).

First I will give you guys your props:
    - Bell is an absolute BEAST. He is a big boy who runs like a runaway freight train and has impressive speed. As a Raven fan, I am scared to play this kid twice a year for the next however many seasons. I pray he is OK as he took a frightening hit.
    - Your offensive line had excellent pass protection. We came in this week tied for second in sacks, with Sizzle and Doom at a combined 18.5 sacks already. You blanked us giving Ben time to extend plays.
    - Ben played awesome in the second half. I swear you guys went back to the Arians playbook in the second half. Ben looks most comfortable when he is able to drop back and improvise.
    - I'll give your defense credit for stopping our run game, but that isn't considered much of an accomplishment this season for defenses :rolleyes:
    - Heath Miller killed us. Ben is a much better QB with his security blanket.

On the Ravens side of the ball here is what I saw:
    - As did your offensive line, our offensive line had great pass protection giving Flacco a lot of time to extend plays as the defense broke down. I know you guys had some injuries in your front seven, so I am taking that into consideration.
    - I felt our corners did a great job of shutting down your receivers. Ben had a lot of time to throw but was not able to contect with Brown or Sanders for a big gain (save for one play where Graham went down and Ben immediately went after our backup).
    - Bell and Miller killed our LBs in the passing game
    - Smith and J. Jones' speed definitely gave your corners some trouble. Nonetheless, your corners contested nearly every catch, I admire their aggressive play.
    - Save for Bell's 43-yard run, our run defense did an excellent job
    - Yes, I know Justin Tucker is a phenom.

General observation: neither team can take anything for granted. The ball at the one yard line apparantly is not a guaranteed touchdown!

There is still a lot of football to be played this season, but we absolutely needed to win to avoid the sweep. What did you guys think?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Still too painful but you pretty much summed it up. Good post, conrgats on the win.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think our rivalry is still in full force but the stakes just aren't as high as they were. It's sorta like we are both on a downward trajectory compared to where we were a few years ago. We just do SO much shooting of our own feet and you guys capitalize on it. We aren't NEARLY as opportunistic as we used to be. I can't wait til we both get retooled and we watch the stakes return again. It's absolutely amazing how close our games have been.

4. cravnravn

cravnravn Member

May 14, 2013

It is absolutely the best rivalry in all of sport, and Thursday night there was alot on the line. Both of our teams have won SB's from the 5th & 6th seeds in the playoffs. 6th spot was on the line last night.

Now, the Bungles have a tough schedule the next 5, they could possibly lose 4 of them, now that we are in the drivers seat of the 6th spot, we have set our sights on the Bungles and the AFCN title..

5. cravnravn

cravnravn Member

May 14, 2013
    I also echo what Cleet said on Bell, hes a f'n beast, and I hope he's OK

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Not gonna lie. I was seriously worried for a few minutes that he was dead. It's just one of those unfortunate things that can happen in the course of play. But that had to be one of the - check that - 2 of the worst head shots I've ever seen in the span of 0.2 seconds.

In a way, I kind of envy Bell. He probably won't remember that game...

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I seriously felt worried about Bell. At that point I didn't even care about the outcome honestly.

8. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Here is what I came up with concerning this rivalry. Between 9/8/96-11/28/13. STEELERS/Rats have played 40 times. Avg margin of victory after 40 games...9.2.....Thats close!! Like to see any 2 teams after 40 games played beat that.

9. thundercleetz

thundercleetz Member

May 12, 2013
    Good pull on the stat there. I would be curious to see what the average is since the start of the AFC North. I'd be willing to bet it's even smaller than 9.2!

10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't go that far, but I was seriously worried for a few minutes that he was going to be permanently injured or brain damaged. They way he just kind of went limp and the fact that at first they weren't letting us see him was pretty scary.

11. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Everytime the ravens do the play action deep ball my heart skips a beat. I thought the loss of Boldin would make things easier but it didn't. With the way Ike Taylor grabs and arm hooks down the field it's almost always a PI call and it's justified. I hope the ravens can't afford to resign Torrie Smith because he's an absolute beast. We seriously need upgrades in the secondary because along with Smith, Jacoby Jones is starting to develop into a complete WR.

12. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    It may be but lets let a Ratbird fan look those stats up. Us STEELER fans cant do it all!!!

13. 1940sfootball

1940sfootball Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    The best rivalry is bears/packers and it never won't be...just sayin :)

14. Bigg52Hurt

Bigg52Hurt Active Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Definitely love our rivalry with the Steelers.

15. K-Dog410

K-Dog410 New Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is by far my two favorite games of the regular season.

• Like Like x 1