1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Successor Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 8, 2021.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ve gone back and watched some Sam Howell games again, including the loss to Virginia Tech week 1 of this year. I can definitely see him being a solid NFL QB. In that game he got NO help from anybody. Of his 3 interceptions, only the last one - a desperation kind of throw with 37 seconds left - was on him (and it was a bad panic decision). The other 2 were very good plays by the defense, one of which was a throw into a tight window that his receiver should have been able to squeeze before the defender stole it. His receivers struggled to get separation, and had a bunch of drops when they did get open.

If he gets better support for the rest of the year, he’ll probably earn his way back into the Top 5. If not, he could be on the radar. He’s definitely put out some good tape when he’s had experienced, talented players around him. I’ll be watching him the rest of this season.

2. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    He played at Saint X high school which was coached by Former Saint X and Pittsburgh Steeler Will Wolford from 2013 to 2017

3. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    would anybody be opposed to maybe a free agent? one i wouldn't mind a possibility of is teddy bridgewater. he is a capable qb especially in the right offense. rookies are so hit or miss, even the highly rated ones. ryan leaf, trebisky, and several others chosen early. there is no guarantee that we will pick the next ben or brady or mahomes. could this be an option? doesn't mean we don't draft a guy. just throwing this out there for discussion. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm not opposed to a FA on a 2 year deal. That way we can draft a QB in 23 and allow the vet to help develop the new guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd like to have their head coach too.:cool:

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I think we’d want to have a stop gap veteran until a young guy is ready. I’m not a fan of throwing a rookie QB to the wolves right out of the gate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We've done pretty good taking a qb early. Getting the run game going will help any qb back there though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Especially considering all the turmoil on this team. New scheme on offense, Line is a joke, there will be coaching changes. That would not be fair to a rookie and would probably ruin them before they got started.

10. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bad mechanics, mediocre accuracy. There's not much in his game that says he's NFL caliber. The hype around him is complete fiction. Fortunately, there are better prospects and most of the bad teams in the league have recently spent early firsts on QBs, so it's likely, given the trajectory of this season, the Steelers wouldn't be in a position to consider him

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    I said the same thing about Lamar Jackson before he was drafted and was told 1000 times on here he wasn’t a NFL QB. How’d that work out? My assessment of him is accurate.

12. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Lamar's coaches have done a great job developing a system that allows him to look like an OK passer. I wouldn't say he's even in the top half of the league.

No QB will get such a luxury scheme here while Tomlin is HC

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Lamar played against a lot better competition than Willis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    i was originally talking about Ridder but I wouldn’t be concerned about Willis’s competition he’s a Auburn transfer, and they clearly started the wrong QB. He could play for a number of power 5 schools. I said he should have been drafted last year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    This will definitely be an interesting offseason of Qb watching. I took a few minutes to watch some full games of Malik Willis on YouTube. His arm strength and mobility are definitely NFL caliber, and he’s capable of making “wow” plays that few guys can dream of making. However, one thing that caught my eye and concerned me was that he rarely if ever looked like he was going through reads. His head was pointed the same direction pretty much every time, staring straight where he eventually threw the football. I’m sure I’ll be rewatching his games multiple times, and watching a dozen other QBs as well, and I’ll definitely have an eye out for that.

It’s challenging for us armchair evaluators to look at just TV footage to assess a player’s potential to play in the NFL, especially at QB where success mostly comes from what’s between the ears. I’d love to be able to sit in front of a big screen with some of these guys and break down what they’re seeing, what their reads are, what they’re doing and why, etc. Maybe as the message board owner, @TerribleTowelFlying has enough pull to set up some meetings between prospects and our message board talent evaluators.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Very Good. :thumbs_up:
    Some see college ball...see a play made and don't look past that, or can't :shrug:

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This season, he is playing as if he will be more than that. Some guys mature later than others. He has come a long way since he first became a starter for Pitt.

18. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Pickett will be 24 next season. His talent level isn't something that's can't-miss and makes that irrelevant.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mac Jones?????

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    He has a better support structure in place than a rookie Steelers QB is likely to have in 2022. Better line. Better coaches.

21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not sure I like any of them enough as a top 5 pick. Maybe one in the top 10. Of all the years some fans clamor for the Steelers to trade back this might be the year.

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    After a limited bit of film watching, I’m intrigued by Corral. Live arm. Accurate. Good mobility. Good decision making. Progresses through his reads. I’ve got to watch some more.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    right. the live arm as you say, i noticed. his passing percentage stuck out to me. never mind the running, that's just an added bonus. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Still a rook, you and I were the only one on him last year.
    The man can spin it and is very, very accurate.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What....Go back and Look ...I said He was the 2nd Qb that should be taken off the Board.

• Agree Agree x 1