1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben's last 8 games

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Sep 20, 2021.

1. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Not sure if this is the best spot, but did anyone see Ben’s presser today? One part I found quite alarming is his comments about the no huddle offense… He said they use about 10-12 plays, as opposed to 50-100, in the past. What? I imagine he could be exaggerating, but working with 10-12 plays? That’s nuts. How easy will it be for teams to watch film and know what plays are coming if we go no huddle? It almost takes it off the table because it will be overly predictable. I hope it was just Ben throwing up a bit of a smoke screen.

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Here we go again....

Ben Roethlisberger DNP
    Ben Roethlisberger DNP
    Ben Roethlisberger DNP
    Ben Roethlisberger DNP
    Played on Sunday.

And then we wonder why the receivers are dropping passes and do not seem to be on the same page as Ben?

Did we learn nothing from the end of last year?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Don't need a running QB for this.

You account for the unblocked defender in a pro-style offense by using play action bootlegs. That forces the defender to play the backside instead of crashing in.

In a shotgun you are more limited, but the most common counter right now is RPOs (Run Pass Option). You add a pass route to your run play that is behind the backside defender. The QB reads that defender. If they play run, throw the pass, otherwise hand it off.

We don't bootleg very much, but we do run alot of RPOs. Most of our receiver screens are RPOs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe that’s all he’s been able to learn so far. It’s a new OC.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He or they? :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    10- 12 per groupings, or just 10-12 plays period???

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was going with the guy who last year said he was drawing up plays in the dirt. If he knew the plays in the playbook, he could have just called them.

8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Question is who knows the plays that aren't being drawn up in the dirt? Food for thought. :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I also wonder who knows what when I see at times Him grab a player and send them the other way then where they were heading, or see Him holler down the line , and wave them 2 come on this way.:shrug:
    I'm like ....someone doesn't know the play. LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Now we just need some Smart Ass reporter to follow up with Canada on Ben's comments that he only has about a dozen plays available to call in the hurry-up.

Before Canada, Ben claims his hurry up had hundreds of plays, now only about a dozen. The reason the Steelers are unable to run the no-huddle during games is because Canada has designed an offense that only contains 10-15 plays???

Can't wait to see what Canada's comments on this are. Is this Ben throwing Canada under the bus as to why this offense has "ben" so bad this year?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’m guessing, total… The way he said it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm. Well something doesn't seem right with that. I bet He meant per package, or groupings.
    Had 2 be.:shrug:

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    and how good are the RPO'S working? The QB still needs the correct read and the OL still needs to run block,my math says we have 2 problems and our production supports that..If that dog wont hunt then try another one same goes for scheme and game planning..

14. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    You're talking about using the zone read with a running QB.... That still requires the QB to read a defender and make the right decision. And I can't think of an offense that doesn't need linemen to block well.

Running QBs are only effective at opening up the run game when they are more of a home run threat than your RB.

A problem with the zone read is the defense can dictate where the ball goes. If your QB can't average more yards per carry than your tailback, the defense will force the QB keep every time by crashing that unblocked defender.

Not only does your offense now become less efficient, but your QB is taking more hits.

Dobbs is mobile but he's not a burner. He ran a 4.64 40. Lamar Jackson ran a 4.34 with turf toe. Dobbs can extend plays, run for an occasional 3rd down conversion. You can't design a running attack around him because the defense will be happy to let him keep for 2-3 yards.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Ben still plays like a rookie in two regards: failure to check down to take easy yards, and checking out of bad box counts at the LOS. This is why he should never be mentioned in the same breath with Brady.

Game managing is not a bad thing. It's what wins games. Ben seems to want one more year of hero ball to bolster his HOF resume.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    dude Ben is not playing good . Hasn’t now since 2018. He doesn’t see the field. This offense is anemic because of Ben . Guys are open

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is just our OC stating what we've been doing for a while. I mean Ben.

18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The Ben stans will never give up the ghost. One of my IRL friends blames all of the offensive woes on...

...Claypool. Ben is doing everything right, but somehow Chase is dragging him down completely.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agree, or disagree. What I stated is true. Those videos are the same 2 they keep posting.
    Also If You don't think Ben played good last Year through most of the season.....Well I don't know what 2 tell You.:shrug:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fair points , but who is the tackler on those 2 to 3 yard gains? Because now that guy can't play the inside give to the RB..That player can no longer play that passing window behind him either ...Then you can add the QB ISO game and pull with a lead blocker and block him now who becomes the tackler ? What run support spot did he give up ?What passing window did he vacate ?Then there is the reverse game off of that who is staying home on the backside ? what run support did they give up ?

Then you also have the entire Sprint game running and passing that you can use All of these things help the OL the RB and passing windows,,if called and ran correctly it also forces a lot of 1 on 1 coverage look at the Rats WR with huge yards per catch average ..

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And the Rats with the least amount of Yards passing. :shrug:

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep they just need a big play here and there I would rather have a stronger passer than what they have.. My ideal QB would be a student of the game who can play in the pocket , but also has the ability to be a run threat ..

They are ranked 4th. in points scored we are 24th..

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Season Just started My Friend. Lot of Football 2 go....Also...I do believe they lost 2 the same Team we did. No excuse.

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wished I could have faith that we will get better , but I just don't feel it .. A win the week could help my outlook .. I see the Rats as playoff bound and us picking in the top 10...

I just have a bad feeling we will have a hard time with the Bengals I think we will see their best O against our banged up D ..

• Like Like x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I can't disagree.