1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben your Guy??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Hell no, he'll keep us in the AFCN

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. Hell yes, he is hurting our future

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. We should get Tom Brady

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe You could say that realistically about any QB that doesn't make the SB.
    For instance. Let's Use A. Rogers.
    How many times has he started a season, only 2 not finish said season.
    Twice.
    Now How many times has he tore up the regular season, and then not made it 2 the SB?
    A lot.
    I know people will say (give excuses) he didn't have this, he didn't have that, or he got injured.
    I believe you could say the same about a lot of QBs if you wanted 2.
    Just matters which ones you think are better, or deserve it. Opinions.
    I know a lot don't agree, but that is mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But wouldn’t most of those examples be quarterbacks who at least have a good possibility of finishing the season. Not starting the season old and decrepit?

But I hear you. I hope I’m wrong. I was once, I think. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I think if the Steelers could actually have a decent running game and Ben didn't have to pass 5,000 times per game, he's the best option. If the running game continues to be non-existent, I don't know that it matters who is behind center.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nice 2 see you again

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    You're starting to sound like another poster. Are you sure you're not a shadow account?

Who said anything about other teams' defenses? What does that have to do with what was said anyway? The conversation was/is about us winning 11 straight games and ending up with a 12-4 record. How many other teams did that again? Trying to compare our season to any other team that didn't come close to it sounds foolish, doesn't it?

But hey, let's just encapsulate the entire season into offensive touchdowns and final record. HOLY CRAP!! LAST SEASON WAS A PHENOMENAL SUCCESS!!! Thanks so much for helping me understand that the true mark of any successful season is offensive touchdowns scored and final record. Who needs playoff wins when you have that????

:facepalm:

6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    If the Steelers knew they had the heir apparent to Ben before this season, he'd be gone. It's kind of a foregone conclusion that experience wise, he gives them the best chance to win. I feel like all they are doing is trying to avoid the inevitable search for the next franchise QB. I'd be much happier if the search was on this year. I fear we will now see a steady diet of bench warmers and jabroni's until they have a season bad enough where they can draft one in the top ten like they did with Ben. It's hope as a tactic, and like my man Mike Williams says in Deepwater Horizon, "Hope ain't a tactic."

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1. Did you dig this up a post from Friday because you're bored.
    2. I don't know what a "Shadow account " is .
    3. You brought up the D. I had 2 go digging back and look.
    4. You can address me without trying 2 attack me.
    5. Without the wins you cant make the Playoffs, or anything else, but you know that

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    How much of that is to blame on Ben's inability to get under center and run play action?

With Ben constantly in the Shotgun it really takes away from the run game. You bring in Watt to be the 2nd highest paid FB in the league, and then you have a QB who is too slow to run plays from under center and wonder why the running game fell apart last year down the stretch.

Blame the offensive line all you want, but as long as Ben is back in the Shotgun formation our running game is going to suck.

9. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    1. I rarely spend time here on the weekends. You posted Friday and this morning I got the alert. Sorry?
    2. I was poking at another poster who thinks that when two people disagree with him, they are the same person with two different accounts, aka "shadow account."
    3. I did bring up the D because you seemed to be giving the offense far too much credit.
    4. I was tossing back your snippy, passive-aggressive comment about me being foolish. You started it. Neener.
    5. Wins guarantee nothing but an opportunity. What's your point? Mine is that regular-season wins aren't as important as playoff wins. Otherwise, you're happy with not being relevant past the regular season.

I'm not trying to get your dander up. Sorry that I struck a nerve. Usually agree with you and like your posts. No animus from my side of the screen.

:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank You ,and Much appreciated. :thumbs_up:
    If I started the sh!+ ....I apologize.
    I'm not happy with no Playoff wins, but I dont believe other teams members saying we are easy 2 scheme against (I believe this was in at least one of my gripes) either.
    Anyway. We don't have 2 agree.
    :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I guess I look at the severe limitations on the offense from Ben and the OL and just nod when I hear others say we're easy to prepare for. Immobile QB, shotgun formation, quick passing attack, no running game, no rpo. Easy to prepare for? Of course it is. Ben is a savvy vet who can make plays and not get fooled easily. Just because we're easy to prepare for, you still have to line up and play us. We have playmakers. You aren't going to shut down Ben and our receivers all game.

But if I had to believe we were either easy or hard to prepare for, it would be easy every day and twice on Sunday. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I may be an old dog, but every once in a while I learn a new word on this board. None that I can use in my everyday life. But I still can learn. :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  13. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Considering the multiple failed attempts to draft and groom a replacement ben is their only hope. I still think bens got enough to take them far but it's got to be a team effort and MUCH better coaching.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Or is he in shotgun so much b/c they know they don't have a good running game, and they know he will be throwing so much to make up for it? All that shotgun is definitely not good, but I wonder if the cause is the running game being bad, not the other way around.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm always around reading posts, just haven't had as much time to reply lately :smiley1:

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Cool. Good 2 see you posting again:thumbs_up:

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ben's mobility is the question not that he was very mobile to begin with. He was the king of shedding tacklers. Not so much now. How is he going to work into Canada's system is anyone's guess at this point. I can't see a repeat of last years Ben throwing it all over the lot. A solid run game is needed, just look at the last 3 seasons ranking:

The Steelers got away from that pattern the last three seasons, parsing the run game between the likes of James Conner, Benny Snell and Jaylen Samuels over the last three years. But they have finished 32nd, 29th and 31st in rushing during that time.

Great numbers :facepalm:

Najee Harris or Travis Etienne in the 1st. A franchise type back is what we need. Not 3 or 4 decent ones.

Also get Ben under center. This needs to happen. Work in the play action.

I don't feel that Ben is going to have the upper hand and do whatever he wants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am assuming it is Ben's mobility issue for the Steelers having to run everything out of the Shotgun.

He longer has the quickness to drop back and then read the defense; common problem for older QBs. They eventually get run our of the league because they start telegraphing their pass plays by trying to sneak a leg back.

Curious to see if Canada's offense will include the Wildcat with Haskins, and if Ben will have the speed to run on and off the field between plays.

19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I quess because Haskins is black, everyone thinks he’s a mobile QB. He’s not, he’s probably more mobile than Ben, but so is the Washington Monument. But Haskins is really no more mobile than Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think Haskins is slower than Ben. Haskins ran a 5.04 / 40, Ben ran a 4.75.
    I know Ben's older, but Haskins was never fast.
    Hell Mason ran a 4.90.
    He's faster than Haskins.
    Just letting You know their times.

21. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Personally I was ready to move on. I feel like there is no reason to expect anything more than what we got from Ben last year, and that clearly was not good enough. That said, he has given us a ton of joy so if the price of that is that he hangs on an extra year or two too long I can live with it.

22. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I think the important word here is "ran," past tense. Clock them now and I'm pretty sure you'll find vastly different numbers. Haskins is MUCH faster than Ben. He is plenty fast enough to run RPO's. He's also able to navigate from under center, turn his back to the line, either hand off or fake a hand off, and still turn back to face the line in position to carry out the fake or deliver a pass. Ben cannot do that.

Now, that does not make him better than Ben. I'm not advocating for him to take over QB1. But I'll continue to stick my neck out and say that any QB on our roster, other than Ben, makes us a better offense. I didn't say a scary offense. I didn't even say a good offense. I just said, and still say, "better."

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Race, or Youth I don't know why I thought Haskins would be a good Wilcat/GoaLine QB.

I just know right now we are completely screwed for a short yardage QB with a QB that can't run a sneak to save his life!

24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    All I know is, Ben Ben better be doing burpee's right now. Not sitting on the couch eating ice cream. You got one year to make it happen. If that's not enough motivation then you just want the paycheck. Which wouldn't surprise me.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I kind of put that into the same category as ....
    Well..
    Cam , or L. Jackson working on their speed, and running skills...knowing Dude your speed and running is not your weakness.
    What I'm trying 2 say is all players should be working on their weakness.
    Ben needs 2 be a little more supple, and in Physically better shape.