1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell to report monday

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by FootballAnalyst98, Aug 28, 2018.

1. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I couldn't disagree more. I don't have a problem with WHAT he is doing, I have a problem with HOW he is doing it. Be a professional. Professionals don't broadcast grievances through social media. They don't hang out in strip clubs or music studios while their teammates are bettering themselves at camp. The Steelers made him a more than fair offer and Bell turned it down, something I personally believe is going to prove to be an incredibly stupid move. When one of the top organizations in the NFL makes that kind of commitment to you, you don't turn it down. Bell is a petulant child and a stupid one at that. He might make more money somewhere, but he won't be running behind our line. I will be glad when he is gone because I am tired of the whining and BS.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree 100%, never has Bell taken over an important game, never has he broke a long one because he dosen't have the speed, when he does carry 30 + times a game it is low scoring affair because it stymies our big play offense. I give him he does move the chains and a decent receiver but you could get the same thing from another receiver, along with a only me attitude he is just not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand why Bell isn't in camp, I'd like him to be there, woking with his teammates so they come out firing on all cylinders but I get why he's not there. My problem with him is turning down some very fair offers by the Steelers and the way he runs his mouth on social media. He also keeps moving the goal posts on his contract demands and thats not right.

I think Bell is very self absorbed and out of touch with reality. It's a shame, he's a great talent and I was a huge fan when he came out of college but not any longer. Still appreciate what he does on the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Samuels is pretty shifty..

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I mis-read Shifty and thought something else.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I just don't even care. I'm shocked I even opened this thread again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You and Heinz are both dead wrong about this. Bell has never taken over a game? I don't understand how anybody who has watched his career can say that,

He didn't take over against the Chiefs last season, when he had 173 yards rushing and one touchdown in a 19-13 victory? That was an early-season game against a team that came in with an undefeated record, so it wasn't important?

He didn't take over the game in Baltimore, when he ran for 144 yards and two touchdowns while catching four passes for 44 more yards? Games against the Ravens aren't important?

Do we need to stick to playoff games? How about a team-record 167 yards against the Dolphins the previous season? How about breaking that record with 170 yards against the Chiefs?

The argument regarding his abilities as a receiver doesn't work, either. The point is that he provides that threat as a receiver as well as his production running the football. If he can give them something they need another receiver to replace, that demonstrates his value.

You are both certainly welcome to the argument that Bell isn't worth putting up with his attitude. I think you are wrong, but I understand the argument. He hurt the team by holding out so late last season and he's doing it again. Of course, Roethlisberger did worse things off the field and they hurt the team on it in the form of a four-game suspension once, but most fans seem to have forgotten all that.

That said, my real issue is with the revisionist history being employed here. Just because you don't like Bell doesn't diminish what he is as a player. I don't like him, either. I don't particularly care for Roethlisberger due to the crap he pulled earlier in his career, but that doesn't make me lose any respect for what he has done as a player.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Conner hasn't proven himself to be a 4.4 ypc average running back. He has 32 carries in the regular season and he has never been the primary runner for even a single game.

Parker was a nice player, by the way, but he wasn't Bell. He was much faster, but not nearly as good of a runner, receiver or blocker.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Rawsteel73

Rawsteel73 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    he will be there tuesday to prove em wrong

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So, your saying he's a Bill Clinton fan!?! J/K Don't ban me please!!

11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Funny thing is everyone outside of steeler nation seems to hold bell in higher regard the fans which is only because of the situation with the contract. The people with no bias towards bell all rank him as the best rb in the nfl. Every credible list I've seen has him as a top ten player in the nfl and the best rb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Funny you mention this straight from Yahoo Sports:

Le'Veon Bell denied a report that he'll be joining the Steelers on Labor Day.

Advice: Bell called the report "fake news" on his Twitter account. The disgruntled running back has yet to sign his franchise tender while holding out from all offseason activity. He pulled the same stunt in 2017 and was seemingly unaffected by the layoff, so fantasy owners shouldn't have any trepidation drafting him with one of the top two picks.

Steelers OC Randy Fichtner does not expect Le'Veon Bell to have a limited workload in Week 1.

Advice: Bell is reportedly planning to report on Labor Day. "That’s a hard question because that’s Le’Veon Bell," Fichtner responded to a question about his holdout running back being eased in. "There are things he can do that, quite frankly, most people can't do." Bell also held out last summer and ex-OC Todd Haley gave him a modest 13 touches in the opener. Bell then got the rock 31 times in Week 2. 16-18 is a reasonable expectation against the Browns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I actually got it from bleacherreport. Not yahoo sports.

14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I agree that he acts like a jerk on social media (although I really don't care). Heck, I thought the stripper video was classless and disgusting. My problem is with people acting like he did something wrong by turning down the Steelers' contract offer or by not coming to camp yet. I don't think either of those are wrong. He is well within his rights to refuse any contract offer. Just because some fan thinks he should have taken the offer that doesn't make him wrong for not taking it. Bell is the one in the best position to decide what is right for Bell. He is also well within his rights to sit out until he signs the tag offer. The CBA sets out the rules and he is following them.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  15. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017

The two bolded and underlined parts seem to be at odds as the second part sure reads like you taking issue with what he is doing. Regardless, I don't have any issue with people who criticize the social media nonsense. I personally don't really care about most of it and think it all gets overblown (why does anyone care what a football player is posting online?) but it is a legitimate thing to gripe about. What I don't think is legitimate is criticizing him for exercising his rights under the CBA. He has the right to refuse any offers the Steelers make and while he may be shown to have made a financial mistake by turning down them down he is not making any sort of moral mistake. The Steelers are allowed to tag him again. He is allowed to sit out until he signs the tag. Those are the agreed upon rules and he is well within his rights to take advantage of them as the Steelers are.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think its more along the lines that we wanted him here long term and his greed is interfering with that.

As for the social media stuff, it causes a distraction. Thats why I care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I feel the same way but I am not mad at him and I don't think I can say he is wrong to be greedy about this. Playing in the NFL is rough and does not last long. And Bell certainly doesn't have a rap career to fall back on.

18. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    The big question is does having Bell win us a Super Bowl? With the same talent as the last 3 seasons, NO it does not. Look at the last 2 Super Bowls. They were won by a decent offense with RB by committee and good defense. We have the most fire power of any team in the last 3 years and still fall short.

Spend Bells money on defense and use the RB by committee approach and we win a Super Bowl.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Yep. The last three starting Super Bowl RB's for the Steelers were Bam Morris, Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall. Bell is really good but we can win without him IF the defense gets better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I got my info from Yahoo, I was agreeing with you as I read the same thing ans feel the same way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Well, both he and Clinton enjoy large booty. Clinton enjoyed some herb in his day to. But if I remember correctly he did not inhale. :lolol:

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are correct in theory. But what we see more than the rest of the universe is the bone head self absorbed jerk he is. And that creates perception right or wrong. And perception becomes reality.

He’s a great running back. He has too much baggage for the buck.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So help me out here obviously Aaron Rodgers just held out of two camps in a row, bad mouthed Green Bay on twitter, claimed people viewed him as a villain when he was trying to bea a hero, posted videos of himself applying at Dairy Queen or rubbing down strippers and has been a general tool in order to get that huge contract extension right? I mean that's how you go about "getting the most money" you can right?

• Like Like x 1
  25. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017