1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

been waiting but here goes......

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Mar 17, 2023.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

49 tackles from the nose tackle position.. in reference, casey hampton never had 49 tackles in any one season. how much better of a run defender do you want in the middle of the line? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    With Mazi Smith plugging up the middle that will free up our new ILB's to make the tackle. They will attack instead of tip toeing through the tulips like Bush or missing the gap like Jack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I wouldn't mind in the slightest at this mock @mac daddyo. Now granted, the selection of a Tight End does seem off putting to some but Pat Freiermuth has had now three concussions in two seasons; a leg injury to cap it all off to conclude his Sophomore one. In addition, even if Pat were to stay healthy for all 17 games, it never hurts to add a Super Freak of his capability to the Offense. Losing out on Brian Branch would sting but both Turner and Blackmon do make up for it in terms of being capable Slot Corner's. Dawand Jones at 32 I would be over the moon for though; an absolute people's mover who's potential I believe is a lot higher than others think. That said, if Darnell Wright is there.... hmm...

Overall, a very good mock. My only major complaint that I have is the lack of a Strong Safety player. That said, I assume then you have accounted for Terrell Edmunds to return?! If that is the case then this is still a very good mock.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I like Kancey. I watched him quite a bit at Pitt. No way do I want him at 17. He will make some big plays, but he just isn't big enough to hold up at the point of attack in the NFL. Too many people are comparing him to Aaron Donald just because they are both Pitt guys. Kancey can't do what Donald does, just as he wasn't nearly as good at Pitt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

depends on who they bring in at corner or corner/ safety mix, similar to minkah or even kazee. for years the steelers have said they don't really have a distinction for their safeties. they are more of interchangeable players not your typical free safety/ strong safety duo. edmunds was like that. yes he was more strong safety but in college he played every spot in the secondary. minkah could do the same. i don't doubt the keep this going in this draft. the meeting of terrell smith and some others really shows these guys can be mix and match. i'd call them more just DB's. suring up the ILB spot should actually help them be even more free to move guys and keep the offense guessing that way. :cool:

6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I think you’re correct big time on Dewand Jones and Mazzi Smith. I just think the Steelers will target them with our first and second pick. The other position they will draft high is Edge. I was against it initially but this defense relays on that position a ton to not have an appropriate third edge piece.

7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Lost me right off the bat with Washington in the 1st, it isnt what we need. Plus I don't see Jones being there at 32.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    why is it not what we need? just wondering. he's a great blocker first off. a huge target secondly. free's friermuth up to do what he's best at. helps the run game. friermuth is the only TE with size we currently have. not sure why this is not what we need as it would help the offense tremendously. many teams are not looking for a tackle. i think there is a good chance jones could be there at the end of the first. :cool:

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We don't need to spend 1st round draft capital on a TE this year. Way higher positions of need. OT, CB, ILB, C, DT. Spending a 1st pick on Washington or any TE would be a real headscratcher IMO.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Luxury pick.

First rd is also too high for him. Ive seen him as low as the 3rd rd.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Always silly when people compare prospects to generational players.

The big knock on him is his size. I had these same discussions over Hargrave, that doesn’t deter me like others. I feel it can be an advantage due to leverage.

I think the guy is going to kill it at the next level.

Kancey, Branch, Porter, Broderick Jones are where I am at currently for our first pick.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    1. mazi smith DT big wigs here.
    2. darnell washington TE
    2 a. darnell wright OT or will mcdonald edge
    3. dj turner CB big wigs here.
    4. xavier hutchison WR the whole gang was here.
    7. anthony johnson S again the whole gang was here.
    7. terell smith CB possibly mekhi blackmon CB MT met with smith. head scout here for blackmon.

just a redo possibility seeing who they have been in contact with and how the steelers like these gems nobody is talking about.

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    This is probably my most favorite mock that I've see yet.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

wright would be nice but i do think they are comfortable with their tackles right now. possibly a late round guy or UDFA added and it wouldn't surprise me if they go after a guy like cam erving to add depth and not draft one. there was talk about shell last year as well and he's still out there and so is trent scott. :cool:

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Damn... you moved Mazi all the way up to #17.

I know the Jags are at #21 and were one of the teams showing interest in Mazi at his Pro Day, so the Steelers may have to use the 17th pick to get him.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he just makes so much sense to the defensive front. round 1 may be early for some but if he's the guy your team needs and will help the others be better then 1 isn't to high. he may not be for every team but we have a big void there. we essentially have 2 first rounders this year. 32 in any other year would be round 1. we just miss out on the option year with that pick. again i think it's a guy that can make the offense better. seumalo and washington on either side of dan moore will make that side extremely strong. ground and pound baby. play action shots. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    1. emmanuel forbes CB
    2. mazi smith DL
    2a. luke wypler C
    3. zach harrison Edge/DE
    4. wayna morris OT
    7. clayton tune QB
    7. daniel scott S

i like the first two i've done better but could this be more in line with what the steelers may come away with? hear me out.

forbes, yes light in the pants but it hasn't stopped him from supporting the run and his coverage is pretty darn good. could he be a guy we want covering ja'marr chase twice a year? taking him out of a game would be nice.

mazi smith, well we have been over him. quickness even at his size would be a force in the middle and could be a guy useful in our two down linemen sub packages.

wypler would be a guy that could eventually take over for cole and is an extremely talented center. rock solid as the new 10 year pivot man down the road. they have been looking at the top 4 centers.

harrison if they can tap into his ability could be a guy down the road that could give us the help we desire off the edge. nice size and great speed. maybe even some DE ability. kind of a leal plus.

morris. just solid with experience at both tackle spots with two SEC programs. high ceiling and knows meyers system. kind of the forgotten tackle in this class. may even swap he and harrison slots.

tune we know they like. as the 3 guy this year has upside for down the road. may thrive in thomas' passing game down the line.

scott would be a steal this late. ball hawk on the backend to team with minkah and even kazee.

had simpson at 2 but thought smith would give us more usage sooner.

32 and 49 spots i believe are the sweet spots in this years draft.

originally in this one i had

1 brodrick jones
    2. trent simpson
    2a. tyrique stevenson
    3. zach harrison

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I Love Morris OT at 4th.
    I like E. Forbes, but not at 17 pick.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the more i think about it and watch him the more i like tyrique stevenson. i knew he was pretty good to start with but didn't follow them as close as i used to. they have shown interest as well. he's got a pretty good game in pass defense but he also supports on screens and runs and can blitz from time to time. 32 or 49 possibly? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    1. darnell washington TE
    2. mazi smith DT
    2a. will mcdonald EDGE-- option trent simpson, carpenter or take stevenson here.
    3. tyrique stevenson CB --- maybe henley here if you take stevenson first in the 2nd. then harrison may come into play as the edge.
    4. wayna morris OT
    give up dotson and witherspoon and a 7th to move up to the 5th or 6th and grab--- 5. 6. mekhi blackmon CB. there is your slot corner.
    7. daniel scott S

i could live with this. oh it's getting close. :smiley1: :cool:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    IDK if they go TE that early, but I really believe no (relative) position is off the table at this point. I also like doubling up on CB, I think Deke made a similar projection in his mock (though I think different players). I was listening this morning and some were projecting Stroud to fall as far as 17, if that happens is there a Bonafide trade partner in the early 20's that may want to move up? I do not see him dropping that far, but when QB's are hot a lot happens during draft night.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Huh? Who were you listening to who said Stroud could fall to #17? His absolute floor is pick #3 if the Panthers take Young and the Texans take Anderson instead of going QB. If that happens Arizona will get offers they can’t refuse and he’ll go 3rd. I mean… if Stroud goes 4th or later, never mind falling to #17, it will make reassess everything I know about watching QBs.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah Deke had 2 CBs, and LB from the Razorbacks.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Reassessing everything I know about Qbs, and when they should be picked went out the window for Me years, and years ago. Hell for example: I had Baker Mayfield going in the top of the 2nd round, and He was the 1st pick....LoL
    I especially love hearing a TV personality talk about, and say...well You can't expect a player to change after playing all these years...., and then in the very next sentence say...they should really take Richardson at Qb because He will get way better. LOL :shrug::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Some show this morning on Fox sports radio, I believe he will go early but a lot of talk this week has been his abysmal showing on the new test being administered, I forget the exact number, but the percentile was really low. A lot of this could be smoke as well, it just depends on how the draft plays out, and if you need to trade up how much are you willing to give up. I could care less, more QB's taken early, more position players drop.

• Informative Informative x 1