1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bears trade # 1 to Panthers

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by GoldBurgh, Mar 10, 2023.

1. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Stroud I'm guessing?

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    TBH who knows at this point. They traded for whatever QB they want lol

They swapped firsts this year, added a first for next year, got a second rounder this year and a second rounder in 2025. Also got DJ Moore

DJ Moore is coming off a down year for his standards, but is only going to be 26 this season. Its interesting.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Whooo boy, putting a lot of faith in Fields.

Thats a big drop from # 1, will be missing out on some great talent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    There could be 4 QB's taken in the first 8 picks potentially... They would still have the 5/6th best non-QB pick. IDK if the deal ends up being worth it or not, but its not bad if they are 100% off taking QB

5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm not sure what the Bears are doing. All I kept hearing last year is how good Justin Fields is, yet they, to my utter bliss, continued to lose week after week after week.

He threw for 2200 yards, 17 td's, and 11 INT's. Those are high school numbers. Oh, he ran for over 1000 yards. Yeah, because teams were in permanent prevent against them. They lost 7 games this year by 10+ points. They'll give him 10 yard runs all game. They can't score in the red zone. He sucks.

Of course, maybe they know that, and are positioning themselves for next year. Giving Fields one more year to suck before they draft Williams.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Fields will be available in our message board mock draft…

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They’ll get someone good no doubt but it won’t be Anderson, Carter or Wilson.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner.

9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I kinda like the Bears trade TBH. They acquired a ****ton of capital and still stayed in the top ten. Justin Fields, himself, is an example of these QB's just may not pan out so why keep wasting capital on these guys and allow your team to continuously get weaker by the year. Young just reminds me of Tua, and for the wrong reasons. My guy is just tiny. At least Brees had some thickness to him. He'll need to bulk up, or he just won't last in this league. Levis seems to have all of the tools but lacks the moxy you want in a NFL QB. And with Richardson, he also has all of the tools, and the ceiling is uber high; however, just like Malik Willis, he's just very raw. He's the kinda athlete I'd want to convert into a WR. Then there's Stroud... and I've been very critical of OSU QB's, but this dude looks and plays the part. So, if I'm the Bears, I'm all about building a dope azz team and having the QB as my final piece of the puzzle, even if that means via trade in 24 or 25.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Exactly. They've made the best move. Get ready for One of the 2 studs next year. Frankly if I were Chicago, I'd draft Bijan Robinson at 9.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wonder if this trade would have happened had Carter not raised character red flags.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Maybe it happened because he did. Bears may think he falls to #9 now.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You would think that would be a real possibility he would drop to 9 but doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of people that care what he did.

He’ll probably go top 5 still.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Think this is a great trade for Chicago, they can't backtrack from Fields, especially since they really haven't put him in a position to succeed. They need to get him an OL and a #1 WR which this trade provided (Moore). They are in position to grab a top OT at 9 now as well.

I'm more worried for any of the new QBs landing in Carolina tbh. They gave up a lot and the GM there is aggressive. They no longer have a WR1 and don't have a second this year, first and 2nd rd picks next year. GM is going to have to razzle/dazzle building that team up and it's going to be challenging.. Good luck to whichever QB lands there..

Houston is actually a better situation

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    As a Guy that watches Chicago(when the Steelers aren't playing, and replays on NFLNetwork)....they have the wrong Qb, and they could have traded the one they have for picks, and got the right one this year without moving a muscle.
    I think it was foolish of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Thing for me is that Chicago can quickly rebuild into a powerhouse if they draft well just due to the mass amount of cap space they have available. It's a nice blend of veteran talent plus youth, the next two years, that will be brought in. It's also a thing that can get a GM fired if this doesn't work out well by 2025.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    I won’t comment on the overall value of the trade because I simply don’t know, but I agree with you wholeheartedly that Fields will never be a good pro QB. He is incredibly inaccurate. Incredibly, to a point that I don’t think it can be fixed to make him an average NFL passer. Sure he can run but every running QB ends up on the IR before the end of the season from too many hits and falls.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Wonder how much this has to do with their OL being really bad? I really feel they have not put him in a place to succeed and if I were Fields I'd would have loved to be traded and tell the next QB good luck.

19. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    TH
    Their OLine was subpar and that has to hurt any QB’s development, but Fields literally misses some throws by so much that it’s hard to remember how good he was in college. What is also hard to quantify is how much was his passing impacted by all the hits he took running the ball. Once he leaves the pocket a QB is a running back and can be hit like one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Two things everyone says about a suck Qb ....they think should be good....OL sucks....He has no weapons. LoL
    Funny thing. Notice How if a Qb gets better their OL, and weapons just magically seem to get better.

21. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    You only hate him bc he's a runner hahah

I'm not 100% sold that Fields will be the best, but he at least looked pretty decent out there on a team that just absolutely blows. Even if the end up moving on from Fields, they wouldn't be putting the potential #1 pick QB in a position to succeed either and risk ruining that person too. They aren't in a position to be drafting QB. They just need too much around that position.

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Hmm.. fair critiques for Justin Fields indeed. That said though, if I were Justin Fields, I would be running for my life as well! A good reminder to everyone that Justin Fields had literally no Wide Receiving help sans Darnell Mooney and an Offensive Line that made even the Steelers Offensive Line look like the "Great Wall of Dallas" from those 90s Cowboys Teams!! :eek: If anything, had Chicago continued to have Fields drop back to pass as opposed to create designed runs for him, we are likely talking about this in a different way as Fields would have likely ended up with a more severe injury.

In Chicago's defense, they do have an additional 1st Round Pick from Carolina for 2024; the "Caleb Williams Sweepstakes" according to some. Even if Justin Fields fails to develop further, Chicago has much of their bases set with good Draft Capital for this year. Hell, if I am Ryan Pace, I would attempt to see if anyone would be interested in trading down from the number nine slot to select someone as I would attempt to cash in as many picks as I can. That way, Caleb Williams or even Drake Maye will be setup for far better success than the typical Rookie QB would be going to a less than ideal situation. Truth be told, I honestly don't believe Carolina is going to be good anyways; Bryce Young or otherwise as that Roster is still very much under gunned despite adding the likes of Hayden Hurst, Miles Sanders and even having Andy Dalton as a bridge QB.

However, the most important aspect as to why I believe that Justin Fields can turn it around is that DJ Moore is exactly what the doctor ordered for him. Not just Fields but also Mooney; a player who is a very capable number two Receiver. Add in the extensive upgrades the Bears have made to the Offensive Line and the optimism by some is well warranted for Fields. Now, only Fields can take the Bears to the promised land and, as I said, the concerns and critiques regarding Fields are not just warranted but documented as well. That said, I would say give both Fields and the Bears a shot before writing them off.

Reminder that the legendary prick known as Aaron Rodgers is leaving Green Bay, Detroit is still without a solid answer at QB and Minnesota has lost quite a bit of Defensive Pieces; the NFC North now being wide open. Who is to say that "Da Bears" don't have a shot?! NFC North will be intriguing to watch.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All Qb that suck seem to have no WR help....no OL help. Hmmmm:hmm:

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe they will have Skoronski on their radar at 9