1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Steelers set up for the future

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jun 5, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

They will have one of the youngest offenses in the league, they will also have over 50 million to spend in free agency in 2023 I think.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The offense is young, but I don't see anyone on this offense that screams future Hall of Famer.

I think Najee will be one of those power backs that dominates the league for a 5 year period and then vanishes.

There is no one on the line, except maybe Daniels, who I think will show up in a Pro Bowl.

At the WR position we have a great team of WRs, but I don't think we have a top 5 WR in the group. Too early to tell what Pickens ceiling will be.

And then there is the guy pulling the strings, Matt Canada, who for me lost a little of the Hype in the Detroit game last year; when he was not bound by Ben's limitations and did nothing with the opportunity to truly run his full offense and failed to beat a winless team.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The OL is still very suspect and until they prove otherwise, the OL will be the reason the offense struggles.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Something I once read from a sportswriter decades ago, that is undeniably true: The only thing you can say for sure about young players is that they will get older.

Najee is the real deal, Friermuth looks like a very good NFL TE. The OL is young, but I don't know that its gonna be very good as-is. Maybe that this will all work out, but I think they are far from 'set up for the future'

• Like Like x 2
  5. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I'm not yet sold on Canada, but it is not fair to say he could realistically run the plays the team likely rarely practices.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    More talent is needed, as many have said the OL is a question mark. As is ilb,cb,ss and the really big one QB. We also need olb depth. I hope Canada is better play calling than last year.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    A couple of good drafts and specific fa signings can do wonders. But that can be said for a lot of teams. The key will be Pickett..can he develop into that guy. If not then we are average.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hopefully were set up for the 2022 season

• Like Like x 4
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    With the offense being really young, breaking in a new QB, there will be growing pains.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We had the Youngest offense in the league last year, and that includes even with Old man Ben.

12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hope in one hand and sh!t in the other hand and see which hand fills up faster.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Crude but direct and effective

14. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Ha, good points, but does the NY Rangers 4th (kid) line provide any optimism??? i know....different sport, but it has to mean something right??? Adequate veteran leadership to set the example and good coaching could work wonders.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    This grouping is realistically the only offensive group that could see every member of it on the team 10 years from now. Granted, I highly doubt all 5 will be the OLine 10 years from now. I'm just basing this off of the Steelers strategy in terms of handing out 2nd contracts past their rookie seasons. Realistically the only current skill player on the roster will potentially be Pat Muth and then Kenny Pickett (assuming he pans out). I'm really high on Pickens potential. This guy has all the physical tools to not only be a #1 WR on the team, but an All Pro WR. That statement doesn't necessarily means that he will pan out either. He just has that kind of potential, assuming he stays injury free and such.

My biggest worry is with the DL. There's zero guarantee that Tyson (35) and Cam (33) will be playing in 23. Loudermilk and Leal could potentially be the starters next year, but who'd be the third and then what's the rotation looking like. Sure the offense looks like it could be put well together for the short term future despite question-marks, but the defense is going through a transition of it's own.

I think the Steelers appear to be set up for the future, on offense at least, but still question-marks on defense. Good thing is the Steelers should have money to blow next off-season, even after signing Fitz to an extension.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He couldn’t

It’s not a video game where you can just run any play you want having never practiced it

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you are not aware of what it takes to build an NFL offensive game plan. Starting back in OTAs everything the offense learned was plays based on Ben’s limitations. Then Mason gets plugged in trying to run that offense. And he did it poorly.

Now we will finally get to see Canadas NFL offense for the first time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Of course, they're set up for the future. Set up for what is the question.

As for the OL unit being together for 5 or 10 years, that would be a disaster. You have to have some controlled turnover in every unit. If you don't then that means one or more of the following are true: a) you're all getting old together and are not developing younger talent, b) you're spending too much of your cap space at one place, c) you're not trying to improve the talent at all 53 roster spots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I really have to hand it to you Knox for simplifying life. No wait, the other hand. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We are at least another off-season away from competing but we are moving in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st time for You... I've seen it. 2 different years. I'm not impressed. I pray He proves Me totally wrong.
    Of course the Canadian lovers will say it's everything, but Canada's play calling if it doesn't work....So....:shrug:

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    too early to tell, on the future. if we don't have a solid QB, all the other players will suffer. Ben made almost everyone better around him. We won't know for 2-3 years how to answer this question. canada may REALLY SUCK, too.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would expect NFL offensive game plans to change week to week, all depending on your opponents strength and weaknesses. The game plan would also need to change for your own personnel reasons.

If you are saying the Steelers are trying to run the exact same game plan every week that would be a major problem.

I wouldn't expect major changes in the middle of the game, but for the Detroit game they had an entire week to get ready to play without Ben and did nothing to take advantages of Mason abilities to stretch the field.

The funny NFL combine scouting report on Mason was he has a mediocre arm, but throws the best deep ball in his draft class. He is not going to throw the standard quick out, but Mason can exploit the middle of the field if he has time and does not have someone in his face every play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How have you seen something 2 different years that hasn’t happened yet

Are you one of them there visionaries

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    As long as Cam play doesn't fall off this season, he will be on the team in 2023.

• Like Like x 1