1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone play the stock market?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Mashburn, Aug 29, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I play the banjo, guitar, bass, mandolin, and basically anything with strings outside of something You use a bow on...., but I've never played the stock market. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    The bogle way beats many of the traders. People are more than welcome to give it a go with their "trend following" but theres many an article of state retirment funds sh!tting the bed due to high fees and hedgefund strategies when a simple own the whole market suffices.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    This is something worth paying attention to, especially if you're younger than 45 with a 401K. When China finally collapses, the ripple effects on the worldwide economy are going to be devesting. Pay attention to this as it becomes more of a news worthy topic. After this recovery, I expect one last boom cycle before the China collapse brings it all toppling. China's housing industry is already starting to feel the effects. As you play the stock market, always pay attention to foreign markets as well. Russia will also go through a similar problem, but the effects of Russia won't crush the markets in the US like China will.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not anymore I’m retired but I did have an investment in CSCO years ago at 14 cents a share

I used to invest in penny stocks

I did well doing it

• Like Like x 3
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I've heard that you play guitar by ear..........and fiddle with your navel. :lolol:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Hope no one here was heavily invested in the Silicon Valley Bank. I've read where many heavy investors into that now failed bank pulled out a week before the collapse. Wonder how many NoCal/Bay area politicians were tipped? :hmm:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    I'm seriously going to start looking hard into trading this year. I quit my job a couple of years ago and basically lived off my 401k for awhile. So I absolutely need to replace that money and build up more.

I'd rather die on a beach than on a job. :)

The good news is I start my new job today, and my income will be doubling, so I'll have some money to play around with.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Fantastic on the new job and ditto the beach

I need young people like you to pay into social security so old farts like me can take it out

If your salary doubled put the maximum into a 401k/403b Roth

It’s money you are used to living without and you will be happy you did when you retire

Good luck

• Winner Winner x 2