1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Analyzing the botched 2018 draft.... Tomlin at work

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 8, 2021.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How do you know what Tomlin pushed for? What was stated is that the organization generally makes decisions as a collective group. Probably only two individuals have the final say. Colbert and the Owner.

The thing that kills me is that you believe a HC with success is bad at X and O's. How does a HC help an organization win 224 games, make it to the playoffs 9 out of 14 years, and 2 Superbowls by being bad at X and O's? Your opinion doesn't fly with the facts presented. Tomlin isn't close to being perfect but who is? Tomlin has his flaws but who doesn't? Tomlin made mistakes but who didn't? Ultimately, Tomlin's been good enough to keep his job.

I disagree that BB was/is bad at evaluating talent. Coaches don't win in the NFL if they don't have talent or are bad at X and O's.

How do you know the level of Tomlin's involvement throughout the entire process? How much power does Tomlin have? Tomlin can be overruled by the GM or owner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It wasn't all Tomlin ... Kevin Colbert on Edmunds:

“He comes from a great family. His father, Ferrell Edmunds, I was actually with the Miami Dolphins when we drafted him. ”

“His family, you know, his dad was his high school coach and again, I go all the way back to the late eighties with his father and he was a good player for us in Miami,” Colbert said. “And football’s important to them, but the family values of faith and family are more important to that family. And that’s something that Ferrell lived, Felicia lived and you can tell that these kids, they’re special players and they’re special kids and that’s really nice to see.”

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This weird obsession that it’s not enough that they chose the wrong guy but that it should have been obvious that Leonard and now Chubb too, should have been the selection. Leonard was not a clear better option, that’s been proven over and over and they never were going to draft a RB in rd 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    3rd value and yet ahead of the guy you say they should have obviously chosen over him, lol.

You can’t be serious, Scribe, this is making you look very bad.

5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Who wants to tell him?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know, who wants to tell you?

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wrong, SteelersGlenn posted one recently and it had Edmunds ranked ahead of Leonard.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They weren't going to draft a ILB from a small school in round one, the last player they drafted from a non Power 5 school in round one was Ben :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Why would they draft Chubb in the first round, when Bell was still on the team?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but I knew a few Steelers fans that wanted him(Chubb).

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You're ruining SDOT narrative with this info, he wants us to believe the pick was all on Tomlin :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So fans are angry they drafted Najee Harris in the first round, but some wanted Chubb in the first round while Bell was still on the team :shrug:.

• Like Like x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hear you. :thumbs_up: I'm just saying I know some Steelers fans that were huge fans of him. Remember I live in the South now.

14. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    This discussion was about whether the Steelers should have drafted Chubb in 2018 instead of Edwards.
    It has already been pointed out that the Steelers weren't going to draft a 1st round RB, when they had Bell and Conner on the roster.

If you think the situation in 2021 is the same as 2018, I'll be the one to point out that neither Bell or Conner (or any RB of similar talent) were on the roster going into this year's draft

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I said he's not Brady. His best effort is never going to be like Brady's best effort. You replied by saying my expectations are lower than yours. There was no twisting or making things up at all. All I did was reflect your post back at you.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It reflects that I had never seen one and I had challenged others to find one and they couldn't do it. The rest is you making something up.

It doesn't change the fact that Edmunds was a third-round prospect even in the link you provided. You can claim it backfired all you want, but it actually provided evidence for my side of the argument, so thank you for that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, it hasn't been proven. Leonard was a better option. Most of the lists had him higher. None of the lists had Edmunds as a first-round value. Every list had Chubb higher.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’ll simplify.

Did you say that there wasn’t a pre-draft ranking that had Edmonds ranked higher then Leonard? Answer: yes.

Was there a pre-draft ranking provided that ranked Edmonds ahead of Leonard? Answer: yes

Were you wrong? Answer: yes

For reasons unknown are you unable to admit when you are wrong? Answer: yes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Been proven quite a bit actually, most recently by Glenn blowing up that argument.

Edmunds didn’t have a first round grade but neither did Leonard. Neither did Chubbs. In fact the only RB being mentioned was Guice. His fall was a surprise.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I like scribe. I wasn’t necessarily trying to blow him up. He made a statement and I took like five seconds and went in fact checked it and it was wrong. I’m just a little baffled as to why he’s digging in his heels so deep on this. It really don’t matter to me whether he admits he is wrong or not. Everybody here knows he’s wrong that’s enough for me.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You got the first one wrong, which undermines your entire point.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Chubb had a much higher grade than Edmunds. In all but one ranking I've seen, Leonard had a higher ranking than Edmunds. The Steelers passed on those two and others who were higher rated to reach for Edmunds and it has turned out to be a very poor decision.

So no, your point has not been proven at all.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never said it didn't exist. Everybody who thinks otherwise is wrong.

Doubting something and saying it doesn't exist at all are two different things. I did doubt that there were any rankings with Edmunds ahead of Leonard. Every ranking I had seen had Leonard higher. Other posters had failed to produce one in the past, which added to my doubt that it existed. Again, that is not the same thing as saying it didn't exist at all.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    OK then explain this.

• Like Like x 1