1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Alabama safety Brian Branch

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 25, 2023.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

He's a nice prospect, imagine pairing him up with another Bama safety in Minkah Fitzpatrick :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

would love this pick. i doubt he drops that far but it would be nice. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I like him, and if we didn't have Minkah I'd be all in, but we need a strong safety (assuming we don't resign Edmunds) and unless he could play CB, we don't need a player in case Minkah gets hurt.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Branch can also play some slot CB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah I don't think this kid is going to play much high safety in the NFL. He looks like a slot corner and a damn good one. He'd get some run in different safety spots in our 3 safety looks too (SS or roving safety). I'm sure they can find ways to use the kid if we take him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    This is exactly what Matt Williamson and Dale Lolly were talking about on their podcast, The Drive.

He could be a real chess piece.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Jammie Robinson from FSU may be really close, or even the same caliber player in the same role. Right now I’m seeing him being projected as a 3rd rounder because he’s about Troy P’s size instead of 6’+

I watched a few games of the FSU defense this AM as well as the various highlight cut ups on YouTube for him. He started as a CB at South Carolina and was solid as a freshman and sophomore. Then went to FSU and finished up last season playing safety where he played all over the field: slot, box and deep. Good player.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't know of this kid for some reason. :shrug:

9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    He's not a corner!!!! :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Bob in Canada

Nov 1, 2018

• Like Like x 2
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

he can play any position in the defensive backfield. he is far from just a free safety. he would be great next to minkah.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=dcf4...XJyYXRlZC10ZWFtLW9mZmVuc2l2ZS10YWNrbGUv&ntb=1

:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank You :thumbs_up:

14. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    If heakes it to 17, we should take him. He is going to be a star. I want that.

Here are some future stars we should consider if we don't get that coveted OT or CB

1. Brian Branch
    2. Kalijah Kancey
    3. O'cyrus Torrence
    4. Nolan Smith
    5. Brian Bresee (Not a star, but a solid producer)

I'd take any of them comfortably and some might even make it to 32.

I can see Branch and Kancey as our 17 and 32 picks. That would simply be a heist. Nolan might be there too co there are so many Edge players.

Draft future stars. I'm all for it!

15. Bob in Canada

Nov 1, 2018
    Personally I am stuck between Trenton Simpson and Branch. Those 2 are my faves for the first round pick.

Simpson has the speed and versatility we haven't had at the position in a while and the traits are there for him to be a star also.

All that being said, if they took a corner with those two on the board, I wouldn't be to upset. It all depends on how it unfolds. They need something for the secondary.

Their FA acquisitions will be very telling I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Have you checked out Denyan Henley? His a bit of a mini Simpson. And may just be gettable in the 3rd. Overshawn also has good athletic traits. So does Dorian Williams. Both of whom can be had in the 4th.

Those players are why I'm not as high on Simpson. But I was listening to a podcast that discussed him and they talked about his upbringing, has a military vet for a Dad. And off the chain work ethic.

That's the kinda Intel ( that I normally have no access to) that generally shoots a guy from mid second Rd to 17 overall comfortably.

When I heard that about him, I was like OK, that changes something for me. I think he is all traits at present. But with that work ethic and background, the likelihood that he won't put in the work to become "The Guy" is almost zero. So I'd have no qualms with him In the first. So long as one of my other guys is the 32 pick :)

17. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I really like this guy. I think you still resign Edmunds and bring this guy in to be a chess piece or play Slot. Thats why I keep saying even with Sutton and Edmunds resigned we still need to upgrade the other outside CB position and the Slot position.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He's going to drill with the CB's at the draft, so maybe that's what he sees himself as in the league

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    If we go DB in Rd. 1, this is the guy I like the best.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :drinks:

Two Batman level safeties?!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    On the real though, say hello to the best Safety in the class. I did say he is essentially Minkah but he reminds me a bit more of Tyrann Mathieu... but taller. Best to use him a bit more in the box in comparison to Minkah but make no mistake; his ball skills are superb.

Him needing to finish more on nabbing those INTs is something that is easily coachable.

22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I agree but coachable by whom? The steelers have an abysmal record in coaching defensive backs. I just hope that if they do draft a DB with their first pick this kid comes ready to start all on his own

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ike Taylor would disagree :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I hadn't really thought of Kancey because he really belong at tackle in a 4-3, but he could work as an end/tackle similar to how they use Heyward. His stock really seems to have gone up since the season. Kiper has him going to the Eagles late in the first round in his latest mock. I even saw one that had him going in the top 10, but that seems unlikely.