1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Way to Early Roster Projection...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, May 9, 2021.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    He can have a pretty good career as a backup. I don't think he's a long time starter either but he showed a few good things as a rookie undrafted free agent. I'm pulling him to be a backup somewhere and an occasional starter

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Dobbs has never shown really anything while with the steelers. I don't get the infatuation with him as a backup QB. Maybe I'm wrong but he's never going to make it as a starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Haskins has to have a real dud of a camp and preseason in order for Dobbs to make the team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Dobbs has more to offer. Haskins is a good passer but they all are at this level. He is not that much of a better passer than Dobbs. He might be a little more accurate because I too have felt dissapointment w Dobb's accuracy. But I have seen Haskins throw: good but not great. Its his size and the fact he had that senior season at Ohio State. So you get these groupies w Haskins but groupies are more mob mentality than truth. So the talent difference between Haskins and Dobbs is just I dont know not that much. Dobbs also brings skills as a clip board holder: brings an intelligence and curiosity to the team that Haskins can not realistically compete with. So in that contest Dobbs wins. I think the best way forward is to try to deal Haskins. we'll see

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nobody wanted Haskins. The Steelers grabbed him for nothing off the scrap heap. Nobody is trading for him. That's just silly.

Dobbs does not throw the ball as well as Haskins. He simply doesn't. Haskins may have had just one big year at Ohio State, but it was a hell of a year, miles beyond anything Dobbs ever managed in college. I get that part of that was the talent around them, but not all of it.

Haskins even had a few decent games as a pro mixed in with the awful ones. Dobbs hasn't even been able to get on the field for more than a few snaps, and he sucked the one game in which he got extended playing time.

Neither guy is anything great, and you probably do have a point about which guy can contribute more while holding a clipboard, but I doubt that is the criteria. Haskins is a long shot at best, but he's also got a better shot to have actual value than Dobbs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Dobbs and Haskins are just polar opposites. Dobbs is smart and hard-working, but lacks any real talent to play the position at the NFL level. Haskins is immensely talented, but appeared to have maturity and desire issues in Washington DC. As a former professional athlete, I've seen plenty of talented people squander their opportunity being lazy/immature... and I've seen guys with marginal talent become successful. But you cant just say that Dobbs and Haskins are on the same planet talent wise. They might be in the same position in their career, but that's because one has maximized their ability while the other has squandered it so far. Hopefully Haskins can turn it around and become the player he has the capability to become for his sake... If not, oh well we tried. It was worth the flier on him IMO. Low risk with a small chance at a high reward. Only camp will tell.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’ve never really embraced Noll’s view on coach-as-motivator. Coaches CAN take (some) athletes to the next level. I hope someone/something turns on the Desire light for Haskins.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What deal do you think we could get for someone no other team wanted?

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
  10. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    Yeah I never really thought about it, but it is a sad reality that we won't be able to get really anything for him, we are going to evaluate him this summer and could put a positive word out on him so that maybe another club might pick him up, he could surprise people but at this time I am just sort of doubtful, who knows how things will play out

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Duck was signed this spring by the Rams. I hope he makes the team, he was a great competitor that played his heart out.

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I SMH at the posters (here and other sites) that got excited when Dobbs was resigned (well not so much here). The illusion that he and Ben create an arsenal plays, that he is the perfect guy for 3rd and short and trick plays, that he will be a great coach..blah blah. I see no upside except he knows the system if Haskins shows nothing at camp. Honestly would prefer to give the kid from the Rock the extra arm snaps. I know the jump from Div 2 is nearly impossible (especially from QB), but has been done and if he shows anything a year on the PS is chump change.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You seem to be basing your post on this false assumption that Dobbs is going to make the team. Maybe Haskins will continue to be a screw-up and hand the No. 3 job to Dobbs, but that is far from a sure thing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    maybe nobody hands the job to Dobbs and he out plays Haskins, that could also be a possibility

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure, and those really were hot women I was hitting up on last night.

Burp

• Like Like x 1
  16. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    Dobbs... we cant even trade Haskins... dont be a groupie, Haskins will get his chance but I think Dobbs out plays him in camp and preseason

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Please think before posting.

If capable.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is possible, but your posts were just assuming that Dobbs is better and that simply is not supported by the evidence.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe the Steelers can find a team dumb enough to trade for Dobbs again. :)

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    I have nothing against Haskins, if he excels that would be good for the team. I just feel that he has no one to blame but himself for what happened. He has to take responsibility for his approach and my gut tells me that he might get lapped by Mason and Dobbs when it comes to professionalism, well see

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Of course, Haskins is responsible for his past failures. I never suggested otherwise. He still has more upside and more experience than Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Dobbs has plenty of talent -- athleticism, arm strength, measurables -- he just can't throw a football accurately. Wonder if he's ever considered a position switch. With his size and smarts and knowledge of QB play, he'd seem to be a natural to play safety or zone corner and read the QB.

23. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    Physically Haskins has the edge. So it's Haskins roster spot to lose and given the history there are a lot of negative unknowns w Haskins. Team chemistry is a consideration. Is there a possibility of Haskins contaminating the locker room? We all know how destructive that can be. If Haskins can put it together and be a humble stand up pro than I have no problem w Haskins as the #3, Dobbs going full NASA and Rivers on the practice squad.

24. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Dobbs is more than 2 yrs older than Haskins. He’s thrown 17 NFL passes Haskins has thrown nearly 450. Haskins QB Rating is nearly twice that of Dobbs. Seriously, who you gonna spend your time developing? Now maybe Haskins is a lazy, running dummy who will prove to be uncoachable. And maybe Dobbs is an Issac Newton super genius in cleats. But at this stage Haskins is going to have to prove he has no upside before I keep Dobbs over him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    Dobbs is only 26. I think it will be an interesting camp competition.