1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

53 - PS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Spock, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Can someone enlighten me regarding the number of players and the new 17 game season. I know there are only 3 pre-season games. However, I thought the roster limit was supposed to increase. Did the PS roster spots increase?

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    They increased the size of the practice squad due to Covid, but I don’t know if it was permanent or not

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    On Wednesday, the NFL-NFLPA agreed to keep practice squads at 16 players, allow more veterans per team to sign to the practice squad, and have three game elevations per week. The NFL had previously increased the practice squad size to 16 players in 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic and continued it in 2021.
    May 25, 2022

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    During the summer, a roster can be anywhere from 60-90 players based on draft picks, recent signings, and players getting a chance to workout. However, once the regular season starts, the roster size will need to be 53 at all times throughout the regular and postseason.

Practice squads were limited to 10 players 2019, but that was set to change with the new CBA. The number was going 12 players for 2 years, and then was going to increased to 14 players in 2022. That all changed when the uncertainty of COVID-19 hit, and the league increased practice squads to 16 players last season.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The rules have changed a bit as well. Idk if they will stay the same or be tweaked, but you were able to protect certain PS players a limited number of times in the year to protect them from.being taken by other teams..but again that was very limited.

Also something in the last CBA I never have understood was the GameDay roster being increased to 45, still.only dressing 43, but one of the extras had to be an OL that could be available for emergency service due to the amount of injuries to OL. It was confusing to me, but sort of like the rule they had for the 3rd string QB some years back. He could dress, but could not enter the game unless the first 2 were ruled out. I may be totally forgetful, but I believe the 3rd string was thus not counted against the 43 game day total.

Ok found this..still clear as mud to me as I have not actually heard it used lol.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/5/2/...-new-agreement-and-what-they-mean-roster-size

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1