1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

53 Man Roster Prediction

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by turtle, Jul 24, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Ok, anyone have any surprise moves?

I'll give my version:

QB - Ben, Dobbs, Rudolph

RB - Conner, Samuels, Snell

FB - Nix

TE - McDonald, Grimble, Player via trade (I think they acquire a guy that pushes Gentry to the PS)

WR - JuJu, Moncrief, D. Johnson, Washington, Switzer, Holton (I think Rogers is traded or just cut)

OL - Villanueva, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Feiler, BJ Finney, Chuks Okorafor, Fred Johnson

Offense - 24

DL - Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Alualu, Buggs, Hooks (prob me just hoping McCullers is gone and hoping Hooks takes that next step)

ILB - Williams, Bush, Barron, Matakevich

OLB - Watt, Dupree, Chickillo, Ola Adeniyi, Sutton Smith

CB - Haden, Hilton, Nelson, Sutton, Layne, Alexander Myres

S - Davis, Edmunds, Dangerfield, Kelly, Marcus Allen

Defense - 26

K - Boz

P - Berry

LS - Canaday

STs - 3

Some notable omissions - Eli Rogers, Daniel McCullers, Zach Banner, Jerald Hawkins, Artie Burns, Patrick Morris

• Like Like x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think they will keep Artie for another year (in place of Myres), maybe another OL, & Gentry.

Other than that mine is the same as yours.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Keep on mind that there was an increased focus on special teams focus in the draft and depth signing. That may be the x factor in some of the bubble players/camp battles

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Kinda like it...... Hooks over McCullers, love it!!

Cajun

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  6. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Very well done. I like it.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes, I thought about that too, it will definitely be a factor. And Artie Burns did have 190 ST snaps last year so that is a big chunk. He was my 50/50 guy on keeping or letting go. McCullers had 63 snaps and I'm sure most of that was FG/EP defense. A guy like Buggs or Hooks could replace that I would think.

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hard to argue. Good job.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Sounds good Tortuga. So now that this is all resolved, lets skip the pre-season and simply spend the next 6 weeks focused on and preparing for September 8. Period. Obviously. :thumbs_up:

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd like to see Ulysses Gilbert stay. Brian Allen over Marcus allen. :cool:

11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My hope would be that Eli Rogers plays phenomenal during camp and should he not make the 53 it’s because Switzer out played him. Otherwise, he’ll be hard to cut.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I want to know how serious they are about Sutton Smith playing FB. If it was just a lab experiment or were they serious since he can play special teams, play FB and take 3rd string LB reps that could mean that Nix who isn't that expensive but is older and plays ST's and FB could be expendable

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was going to mention Gilbert. I’d like to see him instead of Matekevich (on paper) but suspect PS at this stage.

Don’t know about the Allens. This seems like the last camp for Brian to realise some potential.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    If Gilbert isn't kept we have no speed replacement for Barron and Bush if one gets dinged up.

Brian Allen was the other gunner on punt return. We already lost DHB from that role. :cool:

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Nix is too good on STs. We hardly play the second string LB so 3rd isn't a big deal. I think it's PS for smith. Money may come into it though for Nix and Eli. We are tight against the cap.:cool:

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree on Gilbert for sure - just knowing Butler he may not follow that logic...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Mine is similar. Differences: add Banner and Hawkins, remove Fred Johnson and Kelly. Also, I see a solid chance of Brian Allen making the final 53 over Myres. I also expect Gentry to be given every chance to make the final 53. I wouldn’t be surprised if DHB ends up being back for an encore on STs.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If Gilbert is on the PS, he could be called up if there is an injury.

KC, MT and company seem to have plans for Marcus Allen and he looks to be first in line to back up SS and be thrown into whatever dime/nickel roles they want. Brian Allen had a bad preseason last year at CB but was pretty good at gunner like you said. I never had high hopes for Brian Allen at CB because he is so tall and is not natural to the position coming from WR. Change of direction for a guy that big at corner takes a few years. I think he was miscast at CB and should have gone to free safety right away.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Probably just a CYA in case Nix gets hurt. They want to see what he offers there.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    OK, this was from before the preseason back in July....after 4 games there is a lot that needs updating. I think the official 53 list is announced on Saturday or Sunday, not sure.

QB - Ben, Rudolph, Dobbs. I would rather them keep Hodges instead of Dobbs but i think the team thinks different. Hodges will get picked up immediately.

RB - Conner, Samuels, Snell. Kinda on the fence with Snell. No real flashes as a RB, but solid play on STs. Decent on pass pro which was a bonus. I really believe he'd be safe on the PS if they went that direction, but would they keep only 2 RBs? Say if a WR like Holton was too good to pass on??

FB - Nix

TE - McDonald, Grimble, N/A Gentry on PS after guy is picked up in trade.

WR - JuJu, Moncrief, Washington, Switzer, Johnson, Holton. Like I said back in July, I think Eli is traded. Whether its a player or draft pick.

OL - AV, Foster, Pouncey, DD, Feiler, Finney, Banner, Johnson, Okorafor. The depth here is awesome imo.

Offense - 25

DL - Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Buggs, Alualu, McCullers. I was hoping Hooks would ascend but injury to Hooks and solid play by Big Dan reversed that.

ILB - Williams, Bush, Barron, Matakevich, Gilbert. UG3 has been too good to ignore. Spillane is a player but misses out.

OLB - Watt, Dupree, Chick, Ola. (If it were me, I'd keep Skipper over Dangerfield).

CB - Haden, Nelson, Sutton, Hilton, Burns, Layne. Burns with a strong preseason and Myres injured.

S - Edmunds, Davis, Kelly, Dangerfield. (If it were me, I'd keep Skipper)

Defense - 25

STs - Boswell, Berry, Kanaday.

-Changed out some linebackers in UG3 over Sutton Smith
    -Added an OL in Banner
    -Still think Eli is traded and a TE is brought in.
    -Burns with the come back (so far)
    -Dropped a S in favor of an ILB

22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Looks fine to me. Agree on the TE part too. Holton might’ve made the squad tonight too. Tbh, I’d rather they just kept Skipper and cut Matakevich. Then we have a good number at LB and don’t have to roll with 3 safeties. I’m not sure they will do it, but man it’s really hard to keep him and UG3 off the team. They both balled out all preseason and deserve to make the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Please for the love of god sign a 3rd string running back; even if it is a trade.

All I have heard this off season was how the Steelers were going to run the ball more this year. Are they going to run Connor into the ground again; didn't they learn anything from last year?

Both Snells and Edmunds showed in Preseason they are not ready for the next level.

Keep Gentry at TE and use your trade on a Backup RB!

24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    A few notes:

I agree Snell will make the team due to his draft position but hasn't shown much real value yet, but can't cut him.

WR is muddled. I think there are 5 locks. Eli is a big maybe at this point. Holton really has shown he belongs plus is a strong contributor on ST. Can Eli be traded for a late pick? All I know is I don't think we can keep a 6th WR at the expense of Tuzar Skipper.

I agree, I don't think our 3rd TE is on the roster. We will need to pick one up or trade for one. Options???

Agree with OL and DL.

As I've said for weeks now, Kelly, UG3 and Skipper ALL must make this 53 man roster. Has to happen. Skipper even contributing on ST in the Panthers game. He won't make it to the PS and his loss would be a tough pill to swallow.

Sutton Smith should make it to the PS. Injuries derailed his camp but he did offer some glimpses as a pass rusher but is may be too small and too weak to hold the edge in the run game.

How about this Kuntz guy? Won't make the team but can LS and make plays on defense. I liked what I saw.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :eek: