1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It's here! Steelers-Bills!!!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, Jun 5, 2021.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Hines Ward was the offensive version of Mel Blount.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Jimmy Johnson, Willie Brown and Roger Wehril were playing handsies with Wide Receivers!! Mel Blount just tagged along later saying "Don't forget about me!!!"

:lolol:

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    I can make an argument that he is the second greatest ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding Mr. Blount, easily a Top Five All Time Corner. Changed the game forever and still dominated soon thereafter. For that matter, I can also make an argument for him being a Top Five All Time Defensive Back as that lists major heavy hitters are both Charles and Rod Woodson along with Ronnie Lott.

Mel was just as good, if not better than the Corners who came before him. For that matter, his impact and legacy are still comparable and surpass NFL Legends soon after his retirement.

Anytime a player constitutes a rule that alters not just the fundamental constitution of the game but also greatly progresses said game to new heights, very seldom are such talents not among the best ever. Mel Blount is, by far and away, arguably the most violent Corner ever to play the game. I say arguably as Night Train Lane preceeded him; Mr. Lane being the reason the Facemask was invented in the first place.

Where this whole degradation of a players accomplishments came from is something I have not the foggiest. :hmm:

• Like Like x 3
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Mel Blount one of the greatest corners ever!!!

Can't help but wonder how he would have endured today's rules???????

6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I would like to hear your argument, because he is only a 2-time all-pro compared to Lambert, Ham, Dawson, and Faneca with six. This doesn't even include Greene, Franco, and your man, Polamalu, or the QBs, Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. Granted Blount meant as much to the Steelers defense, as Greene, Ham, and Lambert, and in today's NFL he would be more valued than he was in the 1970s. What is incredible though is the Steelers had players like Greene, Lambert, Ham, and Blount all on the same defense, arguably some of the greatest defensive players in NFL history.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    One of my all time favorites, my friends call me supe short for SUPER. He was great!

• Like Like x 2
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Fair enough! Here is my argument.

To begin, All Pro Awards handed out for Cornerbacks are more difficult to judge and measure due to the instability and volatility of the position. Even before the advent of the Mel Blount rule (more on this later), judging and measuring the performance of a Cornerback was tricky as often the best correlation was the amount of pass defended against, percentage of targets completed against and, lest we forget, interceptions. The issue with such criteria (one that the NFL might have finally solved with the recent recipient in Stephon Gilmore) is that interceptions are a very volatile statistic (the Xavien Howard fans still seemingly have some difficulty understanding) and are often placed too high an emphasis when grading out such players as opposed to the whole aspect. While it is indeed correct that Mel Blount's All Pro awards pale in comparison to even the likes of Polamalu and more than likely Minkah Fitzpatrick (health permitting), looking merely at the All Pro nods without understanding the overall importance of that player against an opponent is not fair to said player. In Blount's case, neutralizing that side of the field was far more of a point of emphasis than one single player as Pittsburgh mainly employed Blount in more ways than just mere man to man coverage. Zone coverage was also something Blount could do well to the point of mastery of it. Having so many different forms of coverage basically means that Blount really did not have to shadow or lockdown a single player all the time unless it was warranted in the form of foes like Drew Pearson, Cliff Branch and later Steve Largent. As such, reviewing such a body of work requires a more comprehensive case. By comparison, his fellow 70s adversaries in Willie Brown, Roger Wehril and Jimmy Johnson (San Fran 49ers CB) were either more so effective to far more effective at covering Wide Receivers on a consistent basis. While Chuck Noll oh most realized the positives of using Blount in such a way, the reason why Blount was used in a myriad of methods was to maximize Blount's effectiveness and capabilities; the entire Defense receiving an immense boost as Blount forced QBs even like Roger Staubach to think twice about throwing it in his direction; more sacks and hits as a result. This is not to diminish the efforts of others like JT Thomas, Glen Edwards or even the future HOFer in Donnie Shell. However, Mel Blount was a massive factor within the first two Super Bowl runs of those 70s teams and the early 1970s as a whole due in part to his ridiculous athletic abilities and limitless coverage capabilities. Using him merely in one role would have been asinine to immeasurable degrees. It was not until the full arrival of "Torpedo Shell" that Blount was no longer required to fully occupy or have responsibility for one side of the field; allowing Blount to play more man coverage abilities later in his career.

For two, Mel Blount is one of five Cornerbacks in NFL History to win the NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award; a feat that definitely deserves more recognition than most are willing to admit. Now, this does sound trivial given how many players on those 70s Steelers teams won the award but please, hear me out on this one. For reference, the Associated Press began this award back in 1971 as there was no official award for the best Defensive Player in the NFL up to that point. However, while the year of the awards introduction is an important aspect to underline the significance of the event, the era is without a doubt, the most important aspect of all. Even with the likes of Willie Brown, Emmitt Thomas, Jimmy Johnson and even Mike Haynes, the popularity and importance of the Cornerback position paled in comparison to the dominance of Defensive Lineman and Linebackers of that era. Even with such competition, Mel Blount became the first Cornerback ever to win that award.... which is saying quite a bit given how much more difficult it has been for Corners to win said award. Even during the 1970s including those players, such a notion that a Cornerback would win was nearly non existent for, as you said, players like Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and others of the era such as Randy White, Jack Youngblood, Carl Eller and others were just as favored enough to win said award due to, and again, the style of play that era represented. The fact that Mel Blount ended up winning that award, even including his 11 interception season, is nothing short of amazing given the fact that and, as you said, Blount played with players who can have a case to be made as some of the best ever at their positions. Now, before I go on, recall that I stated that interceptions are a volatile statistic... so why is such a figure here now? That answer again, lies within the era played in; passing the football was not supposed to be a main method of attack. Furthermore, only 14 games were played during that time; only 14 or fewer chances to acquire as many turnovers as possible. Blount nabbed 11 in 14 games. While that is not nearly as impressive as Night Train Lane's Rookie Record of 14, one must understand the context of Mel's totals vs. Night Trains. Night Train single handedly revolutionized the position in just his rookie season when the emphasis of passing the football was even less of a concept as NFL QBs were in disbelief as to how Night Train acquired so many. By comparison, while it was still a run heavy era in 1975, teams were throwing far more than they did back in 1952. So, as a much better, albeit indirect comparison, think about it in this context; Mel Blount intercepting 11 passes in 14 games during the 1975 Season is equally as impressive as OJ Simpsons 2000+ yard season in 1973. It is true that the likes of Paul Krause and the aforementioned Dick Lane intercepted more passes during their heyday but the fact remains is that Offenses were far more intricate in the 1970s than in the 1960s. What is even more impressive is that it took until 1993 (or 1980 if you want to count legendary Stick Em user Lester Hayes) for a Cornerback to win that award; coincidentally Mel Blount's successor in Rod Woodson being the second (or third) Corner to do so.

Finally, and the biggest reason of all, is the rule named after him. While it does seem, again, trivial, to think that something so small could place someone like Mel Blount so high, once again, context is key. Prior to 1978, Wide Receivers were essentially PiƱata's for Corners to bash. However, the biggest basher among all of them was, without a doubt, Mel Blount. Thanks to the new rule, players like Mike Haynes received an indirect performance boost; giving rise to Corners who were less about physicality in regards to their overall game and more about just being physical with Receivers and no one else. Since the rule change, corners like Mel Blount no longer exist; the complete package as a whole with the extreme physical and athletic gifts. For that matter, Richard Sherman is the only current example of a Corner that is 6'3 that has been a Hall of Famer.... and I would imagine that he is, in all likelihood, the final one we will ever see in our lifetime (oh most assuredly mine anyway). Every other Corner that has been inducted into the Hall of Fame after Mel Blount has been 6'2 or under; 6'2 now being the most extreme of extremes in todays NFL for said position. Why is listing something like height so important post 1978?! Corners like Deion Sanders, Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson, Mike Haynes and most recently in Jalen Ramsey are the new paradigm and 6'3 Corners might as well be dinosaurs at this point. Scouting elite corners of today usually have more to do with their cover skills than their complete skillset; some teams even placing coverage capability above all else and want nothing but. However, this is the just the beginning of the importance of this rule as the second revolutionized the sport forever. In fact, thanks in part to the more open field play of Receivers and increased scores of games, the NFL became a more marketable product for fans across the USA and would become a major component in superseding the MLB as "America's Favorite Past Time". The game itself became more accessible and more exciting for newcomers while appeasing to current NFL fans of the time; greatly boosting the NFL's popularity and fanbase as a whole. For Mel Blount though, none of those changes mattered as, in the end, of the 57 Interceptions that Mel Blount had during his entire career, 22 of those 57 came after the rule change, his second First Team All Pro Award also being apart of this as well. Again, interceptions are a very toxic stat and, should be taken with extreme caution. Even so, having 38.6% of a players production coming after a rule designed to outlaw said player is nothing short of incredible. This brings me to my biggest aspect as to why the rule is the biggest reason I could give my argument for Mel Blount being the second greatest ever; a rule by its contrast. While the rule was, again, designed to neutralize Mel Blount all together, not only did it fail in doing so but, in turn, allowed Chuck Noll to fully unleash the likes of Terry Bradshaw; 1978 being his best season and being awarded NFL MVP as a result. Now, much of his performance was thanks in part to the fact that, by 1978, Terry Bradshaw was in his prime in addition to the additional benefits that the Mel Blount rule gave both Lynn Swann and John Stallworth..... though both would have been Hall of Famers without said rule change in their defense. The other aspect why Terry was so successful in 1978?! His fellow teammate in Mel Blount himself. Without the Mel Blount Rule, who knows how the 1978 NFL Season would have been for the Steelers.:eek:

To conclude, Mel Blount is truly what the traditional definition of a "Sui Generis" implies in its truest form; a class of his own. This is not to state that talents like Jack Ham, Jack Lambert and Donnie Shell were not exceptional (they oh most definitely were) but while these players were no doubt NFL All Time Greats, Mel Blount's impact and legacy on the game left a bigger mark than some are willing to admit. There may be great Cornerbacks (some even greater than Mel Blount) who had/have and will come in time. However, there will never be another Corner who will leave such a legacy on the game the way Blount did.

Given the fact that the Steelers feature some of best of the best to ever play the game.... that is an accomplishment in it of itself.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

22 of his 57 interceptions came after his own rule. That equates to 38.6% of the total. Even if he has less than 57 or so picks (INTs are a toxic stat to measure the greatness of a Defensive Back and much less a Cornerback), without a doubt. There never has been and, never will be another Cornerback as complete and as athletic as Mel Blount ever again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's Exactly why I said He was in My Top 5 all time Steelers :thumbs_up:

Well Done AQL:dancing:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Nice presentation of Mel Blount, and you have a sound argument. I would still rate Ham and Lambert as equals to Blount, even if that means we have 2a, 2b, and 2 c, assuming we are agreeing Joe Greene was #1. All three of Ham, Lambert, and Blount benefited from the d-line. There would also be an argument that the Steel Curtain was the egg before the chicken. The run stopping ability and the pass rush, allowed Blount to do what he did. In addition, the accuracy of 1970s QBs was not the greatest, but it would be an interesting look to see the accuracy of deep throws vs. today's QBs. A lot of the completion percentage today is because of short throws that are 3rd and 3 or less. In the 1970s, 3rd and 4 was still a running down for most teams.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough on most of the QBs of the 1970s. That said and, again, remember that running the football was king prior to 1978. Post 1978?! Not anymore; passing has dominated the league and has shown no signs of slowing down.

There will be run based heavy offense teams that can go far for certain. However, if your Offense cannot rapidly score points at a high rate through the air or as quickly as possible; consider your team very good but not Super Bowl Contending status. Such is the current paradigm of the NFL.......... and Fantasy Teams are making things far worse in my opinion.

Now that I continually think about it, Mel Blount made two positions famous after his rule change; QB and CB. Ever since 1978, there have been more CBs and QBs picked in the Top 10 than any other position. It was not until 1986 in Lawrence Taylor that the impact of a pass rusher would have would supercede the impact of a multi role Corner; said position becoming very rare up until Charles Woodson as the league began accepting said position again albeit slowly. While the Steelers recognized the importance of a multi role anti air defensive talent, most of the NFL would not sans some teams; the 49ers, Falcons (via Deion Sanders) and later the Raiders via Charles Woodson.

Overall, not trying to sway your opinion here. If you have others ranked about Blount, that is fine with me. For me though, after Mean Joe, Blount is the second greatest ever. Like Mean Joe.... one will never see a talent like Blount ever again.

14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    upload_2021-7-28_8-29-43.jpeg Reggie Harrison

• Like Like x 1
  15. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    This is a cool thread! Smart idea!!! I notice those of us around in the 70's have most of those players as are favorites.

Wonder who the youngsters of today will say 3-4 decades from now who their favs were?? Troy, Ben and Hines for sure.

Again I say, hurry the hell up Gary Anderson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Reggie Harrison's blocked punt for a safety in the fourth quarter turned out to be crucial at the end of the game. The Steelers were up 4 points instead of only 2 if you take away Harrison's safety. The Cowboys moved into Steelers territory but because they were down by 4 Staubach had to keep passing into the endzone. Mike Wagner tipped his last pass and Glen Edwards intercepted it to end the game.
    Also one of my favorite Steelers who wore #46 was fullback Warren Bankston. He eventually converted to TE and was traded to the Raiders right before the 1973 season. He didn't miss out on a ring though getting one in Super Bowl XI as a backup TE to Dave Casper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Thanks @steel machine I borrowed the idea from a Cardinals fan doing a magic number countdown.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016

upload_2021-7-28_9-38-12.jpeg Warren Bankston

• Like Like x 2
  19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    upload_2021-7-28_9-40-23.jpeg Super X Reggie Harrison blocked punt for safety.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Bankston was Rocky Bleier's roommate when Rocky made his return after his injuries in Viet Nam. Bankston said that Bleier was in intense pain at night during training camp and so he volunteered to rub Rocky's feet at night. He was shocked to see the actual damage to Bleier's right foot with parts of his foot missing. Bleier and Bankston are still friends with Rocky saying that he would have never made it through that training camp without Bankston rubbing his wounded feet at night.

• Like Like x 4
  21. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I was surprised that Blount only had two 1st team all-pro selections, because he was voted into the hall in his first year of eligibility. Blount was amazing as you portrayed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed he was.

Regarding his First Year of Eligibility, would not have been any other choice. Had the NFL not inducted him on his first attempt, it would have been the biggest black mark for the Hall of Fame..... by far. Too much of Blounts impact succeeded after the rule change and after his retirement.

Quarterbacks would never have to see such a unique talent again...... until Richard Sherman years later. As I said though, Richard Sherman is likely the last great example I will ever see in my life time. Not saying the two are comparable in any way(not even close) but, when Sherman does indeed go to Canton, he and Mel Blount will be the two tallest and biggest Cornerbacks in the Hall.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can't stand D. Sanders, but I've heard Him talk about how Great Blount was, and How all around Great He was.
    Probably the 1st time Sanders said anything I didn't change the channel on. LoL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    If he does 45 I dare anybody to try and spell his name without looking it up.

Funny he is in #46 picture.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I can spell Jimmy Allen's name without looking it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1