1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

#4 pick won't be enough to fix this mess. We need Top 2.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Nov 9, 2022.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Look, the season is over. Winning anymore games is pointless. There's 2 franchise QBs coming into next draft. Assuming Pickett is our guy. We need Top 2 to be able to fleece a team and trade back. That would give us a mid to late 1st, three 2nds which could be used to trade back into 1st, and two 3rds and then two 1st next year. This is the type of draft capital needed to rebuild. We already don't have a 5th and a 6th going into this draft for mediocre defensive players.

What's going to happen? Tomlin is going to play checkers and win a couple pointless games to pound his chest and throw cliches around about never giving up. Still going to have a losing season. Then come April we are going to be slotted anywhere from #5-10 in the draft looking up realizing those pointless wins against the Saints, Colts, Raiders, and Panthers weren't worth it.

Penguins tanked for Crosby and it was the greatest decision they ever made. Tank!!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will never....never....never get behind this. You play to win. You always play the game for the sole purpose of winning. I've played in many team,and single persons sports, and no matter how good, or bad it got....I wanted to win even the last game.....I personally can't see how any competitive person could even entertain a different mind set. :shrug:
    Losing breeds a Losing mentality.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I couldn’t agree more. Only losers tank intentionally or hope their team tanks.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Loosing is addictive and can quickly become a habit. Once you start doing it on purpose it becomes hard to stop.

I just want an OT in the 1st round next year, so I am hoping the Steelers do not trade back only to miss out on the #1 OT on the board. I still think it will be PETER SKORONSKI, but that may change.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I won't be ashamed if they play hard and lose, that includes getting younger guys reps to see what we have and get experience. If I see no heart then yea I get pissed. Lol.

I don't expect much honestly, just have fun and quit trying to over think it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We’ve done this for a decade with Tomlin. No losing seasons!! It’s got us 0 Championships. Only 3 playoff wins. And middle of the line talent come draft time. Something needs to change. Half a season of tanking is needed. It’s not like I came into the season wanting to tank. The cards fell where they did and looking at our record half way thru the season. There’s not one good reason to win another game.

One OT doesn’t fix this mess…. Way too many holes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We are gonna run the table and end up 11-6.

screw the draft picks. We’re gonna be picking last

• Like Like x 8
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You would make a wonderful GM. Perhaps you could even convince the league to let your team forfeit the rest of the season. While you are at it I could see them raising the salary cap just for GMDOT's team only. I'm sure you could win at least 5 Lombardi's in a row with your brilliant ideas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Make the playoffs at 11-6 and then get smoked again in the first round.

• Winner Winner x 3
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Picks 10 through 20 is a sweet spot for some decent offensive linemen.

If we land the 4th pick, I would try to turn it into more picks by trading back and/or a future high round pick.

Only way you are staying at #2 is if you want a QB or an elite pass rusher, which which we don't need.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    You never tank and always play to win... #4 pick is a great start and getting a new coaching staff to lead them would also help, this team needs an infusion of fresh Ideas and culture.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I can think of thousands of reasons not to tank let alone 1. You have people who have saved and paid to see their team perform to win games. Each one is owed that, every one of them. Have you ever invested in anything that you were hoping would fail? JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We looked

Saw the same as usual

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Just figured it out - SDOT is Bob Nutting in disguise. How's that working out for you Bob? Sorry, but no tanks. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    SNOT knows less about Penguins history than he does pro football. Didn't think it was possible.

They DID NOT tank to draft Crosby. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest otherwise. The Penguins were awarded the first overall pick via a lottery with three other teams. The Rangers, Blue Jackets and Sabres. The previous season was the lockout season when the NHL adopted a hard cap. The Penguins were in dire financial straits at the time and were nearly moved to Kansas City until Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle stepped in. They simply did not have the funds to compete with large market teams and the reckless spending by Howard Baldwin nearly bankrupted the organization.

There is, however, considerable evidence that the 1983 Penguins did tank to finish last overall for the right to draft Mario Lemieux. It was between them, and New Jersey and I think the separation was one point. Eddie Johnston was using minor league goalies, forwards and defenseman liberally down the stretch. Johnston says he wanted the younger players to get pro experience at the end of what was an historically disastrous campaign. Johnston denies he had the team tank to this day, but it doesn't pass the smell test. It's hard for me to get angry about it as I watched a player whom in my opinion was the most dominant athlete this town has ever seen.

But, as far as tanking for a higher draft pick. No. No way in hell would I be okay with it. A Player like Mario Lemieux is generational

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I bowled for years in money leagues. I personally heard or took part in conversations where if a team were losing big, guys would intentionally tank shots or drive-by single pin spares to try and keep their average down to get more handicap. Made me sick. To stop it, the league constructed a new point system whereas a 100-pin plus team win was worth a point, head-to-head matchups where worth a point and overall pinfall for a four-game total was worth a point. I hated losing. Not in a hot-headed way, but there were certain guys I wanted to crush. And If I had them by four marks going into the tenth and struck out, I'd step outside to have a smoke and only then would I fist pump strictly for my own enjoyment, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hear You . It would also make Me sick.
    This whole post made Me think of Guys I've played with that getting off the bus they'd be like.....man We don't have a chance....it would make Me very angry....I would be like....why did You even show up....We could have played someone else that has the fire in them.
    Sorry....Didn't mean to make it long winded....I just hate the whole losing mentality.....in anything.
    Either do Your best , or quit.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Nobody is trading for the #4 pick. That’s my point. Teams only give up all that draft capital for a franchise QB.

Fans need to look at the big picture. 2-3 wins and no Super Bowls for the foreseeable future. No wins and Super Bowl contender in a few years. Easy decision.

20. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    If I were a player, I wouldn't tank for two reasons: I could be cut at end of season for bad play and I would be concerned that with the higher picks in each round, they draft my replacement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We aren’t going to have the number 4 pick

This team is going to work to get better and we are going to win some more games

Then we can build from that

It’s the right and only way to do it

You can learn from informed members on this board just pay attention

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There was no hockey played the season before Crosby was picked, and the draft order was decided by lottery.
    So the Penguins couldn't have tanked for him.
    Whether they tanked for Ovechkin or Malkin is another story.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t confuse him with facts

He has enough challenge as it is

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member