1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 Offseason: Steelers QB Options

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Jan 24, 2021.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    1. Draft, sign, or trade for a QB?

2. Continue to develop our backups behind Ben, including Haskins?

3. Trade or Release: Rudolph or Dobbs?

4. Don't change anything until next year?

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    1 and 2 without Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think it is going to be another year of Roethlisberger, or Rudolph and Haskins competing for time. If they go with the latter, I think it is going to look like the mid-80s all over again. I'm thinking 1984, with Malone and Woodley taking turns sucking and often wasting a strong receiving corps. (That team had Stallworth still playing at an elite level and Lipps as a rookie). The difference is that team was able to win a crappy division and steal a playoff victory in Denver. The 2021 Steelers would probably be on their way to .500 and best and third in the AFC North with Rudolph and Haskins.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    You give Rudolph 0 credit. You obviously didn’t see how elite he was vs browns and in 2019 before the ravens game lol

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Dont know but Hodges signed with LA

6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Frankly, I don't see them being much more of a threat with Ben unless the line and by extension the running game improve dramatically. My thought is he is going to put up a fuss about being under center and running more PA. In essence, still pulling the strings offensively no matter who they end up hiring as OC. In other words, counter productive which is why I'd rather see the team move on, rebuild and take it's lumps. As much as I would love to see it, I don't think they are willing to part with a number one plus for Stafford, nor should they.

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    and Dobbs is a FA, though it they want to sign him I doubt it will take much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Just about the time my steeler related heartburn gets settled you have to mention Malone and Woodley, which brings up memories of Brister and Blackledge...now I need a double shot of pepto...thanks! LMAO

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That's a strong possibility. They can say and do whatever they want, ultimately Ben is going to decide call whatever plays he sees or wants, which likely means more 45 -60 passing attempts per game and 15 or less rushing attempts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think there is still a good chance Ben retires. I know he has stated that he’d like to come back but I’d say it’s 50/50

If he comes back they’ll probably extend him by adding voidable years to get his cap number down and he will start for the year with Rudolph and Haskins behind him

If he retires I’d give Rudolph his shot to lead the team but bring in a cheap veteran like Tyrod Taylor as #2, Haskins #3 unless he does something stupid and they cut him

I don’t care which way they go as long as they strengthen the line and get a better running game going. Next year is a rebuilding year regardless of who is under center

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I wonder if the people complaining so much about Ben were around for the QB’s you mentioned. Man, those were bad times!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed...33 tds...and 10 ints...and some people would rather have guys that did less....of course they will say...he didn't have as good a team...LoL...I pull for all Steelers fans...but ...I don't get it

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought Woodley and Blackedge were going to be good.

upload_2021-1-24_20-2-37.gif

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    According to this board the Steelers are in the mix for all of these QBs :facepalm:
    Watson
    Tua
    Stafford
    Henne
    Huntley
    Prescott

• Like Like x 1
  15. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Baltimore 36-51 266 1-1 81.0 QBR
    Washington 33-53 305 2-1 82.7 QBR
    Buffalo 21-37 187 2-2 65.9 QBR
    Cincinnati 20-30 170 1-1 62.4 QBR
    Indianapolis 34-49 341 3-0 109.5

Total 1269 9 TDs 5 Ints

Even during the streak there was instances of him playing a half a game. Cowboys and Titans games come to mind. He hit a brick wall either the Baltimore game or the week prior. Earlier in the season he routinely had games above 100 QBR and went weeks without interceptions. Half of his season's INTs came in his final 5 games of the season. His average QBR per game during that stretch was 80.3.

We can blame play calling, or teams figuring out the Steelers, to a degree, or a combo of both. Dropped passes also hurt Ben. Ben's problems weren't his arm, but his lack of mobility. Past years, his mobility covered up for the lack of pass protection up front. The passing scheme really hurt Ben as he led the league in tipped passes. That also was because of his lack of mobility. I simply fail to see how he's going to be better next year.

And I think trading picks for Watson or Stafford is a bad idea. And I think trading up for Trey Lance is an even worse idea.

Roll out with Mason, Haskins and Dobbs or a late round QB as the #3.

Frankly. I also think we need an OL thread.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope they draft someone this year even if they keep mason. You have to keep the pipeline full because they know bens time is numbered even if he comes back. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    After watching every playoff game, I don't think the Steelers are any closer to the Super Bowl than they were any time in the last decade, and it's only getting worse.

Pull the aging vet bandaid off, tear down, rebuild. Don't blame injuries, that's just lazy. Chiefs and Bucs both got there despite multiple key injuries.

Good is the enemy of great. Tear down the good team, build a great team.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1