1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 Mock Drafts Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 18, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With all the QBs probably going early, then there will be some OL, WRs, and maybe some CBs before Collins.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    We'll see how it pans out. I think he's gone before we get a chance to draft him.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like deablo. big safety that could play inside backer. 6-3 227. the steelers are also scheduled to have a virtual meeting with james darisaw the OT from VT. both these guys from VT. i'd be pretty happy if we landed both. :cool:

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Of the VT Players, Caleb Farley is sadly the one who will be the most likely to land. Many already had Darrisaw very high long before his Pro Day. Post Pro Day, no way he escapes the Top 15.

That said, Deablo for me is a sleeper pick. Needs some more fine tuning in pass rushing but his intermediate coverage and run stopping skills are already at a solid foundation.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they are having a meeting with darisaw saturday. :cool:

7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't get Bolton. He's a poor man's Devin Bush. If we draft this guy in the 1st, I'll be down to the South Side in 30 minutes with a a ball bat asking to speak to
    Kev and Mikey.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

surratt or deablo would be great pickups. both would be better. deablo could pull double duty as a SS. :smiley1::cool:

9. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Anyone up for a competition here? We can do weekly mock drafts (one submission a week) until the draft and score them to see who’s closest after the draft

Getting a pick correct in:
    rounds 1-2 = 2 pts
    Rounds 3-4 = 3 pts
    Rounds 5-7 = 4 pts

If you get the player right, but the round wrong: 1 pt

The first two rounds are probably easiest to call, then gets more unpredictable later.

Any mocks done on this thread so far will be counted, but from here on out try and do one focused one per week.

Is this a good idea, or is the free-for-all guess-athon thing we’re doing fine?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What do we win??

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    can one of those two play inside as well?:cool:

13. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Maybe, even still it makes no sense at all when you look at the team needs.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    why we need an ILB and an OLB. it's not all just about this year. we have tons of guys signed to one year deals. we need depth and to get this rookie year under their belts. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I thought you meant IDL when you said ‘inside’, was thinking Cam and Tuitt signed for another couple of years.

I understand it’s not all about this year but I don’t see any world where they don’t take an offensive lineman with one of the first two picks, and they certainly won’t be taking two edge guys. Draft picks in rounds 1-2 need to make an impact relatively quickly. It’s not a place to draft for depth unless your roster is absolutely stacked.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it does if they know something we don't know about signing watt next year. one guy to replace spillane next year or possibly later this year. (we went through a lot of them last year) , one guy to have ready to start in place of watt if he hits free agency. that would be a scenario where two linebackers could be picked 1-2. bush's rehab not going as planned? would be another. :cool:

17. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    I think Collins will be there. Not sure we will be taking him though. I wouldn't hate it if we did. He's a beast!

Based on all the mocks Ive been doing, I dont think Creed Humphrey will be there in the 2nd. He looks like an early 2nd rounder so far.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Fair enough, perhaps something like that is what PFF had in mind. I will be completely stunned if that is how the draft plays out given how much OLine help they need, but anything is possible. I think it’s far more likely that the author just did minimal research though.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    very possible. o-line is so deep in this one. we can get really good linemen throughout this draft. it's that deep. :cool:

20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes they simply have to improve there, it’s probably a multi year project to get the line that they want though. Hopefully Dotson builds on a promising rookie year as well.

They can’t go too far wrong in terms of position in the early rounds given how many guys they have lost in free agency all over the field. A lot of the analysts have them going OLine / RB in whatever order with the first two picks but it depends a lot on how the board falls on the day of course.

21. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    An STD

No, just bragging rights - if I win I’m putting “2021 Mock Draft Nerd King Winner” in the baseline of all my posts

• Like Like x 1
  22. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    For this week’s mock, I’ll go a little optimistic:

R1 - Javonte Williams - RB

R2 - Pat Freiermuth - TE

R3 - Asante Samuel Jr - CB

R4 - Walker Little - T

R4 - Divine Deablo - ILB/SS

R6 - Josh Myers - C

R7 - Khyris Tonga - DT

R7 - LaRon Stokes - EDGE

This is a statistically unlikely mock draft, given how many would have to fall. Basically, here, I took players I liked at the end of their ranges. For instance, Walker Little is a 2-4th round grade. LaRon Stokes I’ve seen 4-7th round grade. Josh Myers is 3-5, so I cheated a bit here. We all know Freiermuth falling there is optimistic. If we had a 5th round pick, I’d have stuck Tedarelle Slaton there.

I’ll say it now - would not be shocked to see us pick Freiermuth in the 1st. Think about it. It’s our shallowest position, and the only one we haven’t made a “just incase” signing for

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok. I'm confused...which is no biggie, but why are We picking more than once? Like every week. How come were not just picking one whole draft , and you have 2 stick with it?

24. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    I figure it gives us the chance to update the mocks as new signings happen/new visits are announced, etc. Anyone is welcomed to do 1 and stick with it. I also limit it to once a week to reduce clutter when I go back and score them (aka I am lazy)

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was looking for some elaboration on why he chose them, PFF if nothing else is usually pretty thorough but that’s just awful.