1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 Mock Drafts Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 18, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think MT will roll with chuks and banner at the tackles and hope to sign them cheap. center and a guard would be the next needed. dotson fills one spot. decastro will be gone after this one and pouncey maybe this year. so i think center will be the pick of linemen first. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    now it looks like the pouncey brothers are officially retiring together. they made a statement through ramon foster. the steelers depot said we would save 7.14 million towards the cap with this retirement. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Just looking at it from a positional element (OL), with the expected Cap reduction there may be a lot of experienced vets getting squeezed out of jobs who likely will be signing short term contracts on the cheap. That money alone should get Banner and another depth vet back..just find the right one.

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    So as is my Saturday habit, I ran another mock draft this AM. Here is where I ended up...

24: R1 P24 LB Micah Parsons - Penn State - Just too much talent to pass up here. Williams may very well be a cap casualty and putting Parson next to Bush makes the ILB position very well taken car of. It came at the expense of not getting a OT in the draft though. Not sure how that impacts us, but maybe we look to add a guy like Beachum to add with Hawkins, Banner, Chuks, and/or Feiler.

55: R2 P23 C Landon Dickerson - Alabama - One of my favorite C in the draft. I replace Pouncey in round 2.

87: R3 P23 RB Chuba Hubbard - Oklahoma State - Gainwell went one pick prior. We need a RB, haven't really looked at Hubbard, but round 3 was where I was targeting a RB.

127: R4 P23 DL Alim McNeill - NC State - I was surprised to see him this low and still available. If Alualu goes, he adds another guy with Davis and Buggs to the Dline.

140: R4 P36 EDGE Shaka Toney - Penn State - Just looking for some depth behind Watt and Highsmith.

216: R6 P31 WR Rico Bussey Jr. - North Texas - I have seen him all over the map with projections, but he is a pick to add to the mix and help provide depth with the loss of JuJu.

243: R7 P18 CB Brenton Nelson - Virginia - Here is a corner that projects as a slot guy. If Hilton leaves, and I think he might, I think he can give us some depth here.

252: R7 P27 C Michal Menet - Penn State - Here is a guy who can play both G and C. He can provide depth behind Dickerson and behind Dotson and DeCastro. Not expected to start right away, but he comes from a big program and has started at both positions. If DeCastro retires or leaves after next year, he can slide in at the LG position if he shows potential.

The big concern about this draft is that there is no OT or TE taken.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought Parsons was an edge player, Dickerson injury history worries me.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Not to be a shill, but profootballnetwork.com has a new draft simulator, and it's highly addicting. Let's you trade next years picks, trade offers seem logical.

8. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I think and I don't know for sure, but I think he is a 4/3 OLB, but much like Timmons would be an inside guy in our system. I don't know that to be sure, but on most mock sites I see him listed as a LB not an EDGE.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt he will be available at #24

10. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm not sure he will be their either. Who are the top guys right now?

QB... Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones
    RB... Entienne, Harris
    WR... Chase, Waddle, Smith, Moore, Bateman
    TE... Pitts, Freiermuth
    OL....Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Davis, Vera-Tucker, Smith, Cosmi, Mayfield.

DL....Paye, Baremore
    Edge...Rousseau, Jones II
    ILB...Parson, Collins, Bolton, Owusu-Koramoah
    CB...Farley, Surtain II

There are 32 guys on that list. That being said, there are a couple of positions on this list that probably don't fit our needs. Let's edit the list some....add some guys who I may be missing. Move some guys up who we should be looking at. It should help us focus our picks to round 1.

11. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Is it ok if I get this started? Too soon?? or do I even have to ask? If there's already a thread started just merge me in. Feel free to give your opinion of whoever you think the Steelers will draft, but I will primarily be posting the opinion of so called draft-experts and who they think the Steelers will pick and hoping you guys provide your own opinion of what they think. Yes or no would suffice, but if you've seen the athlete play personally it would be nice to know what you've observed.

First Up: Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech 6'5" 311. I've seen multiple takes that the Vikings will grab him. The Vikings pick 14, but the author of the article below seems to believe the Vikings will take Alijah Vera-Tucker of USC. No matter where I look Darrisaw has never been ranked lower than #4. In what is supposed to be a pretty deep draft for OL that seems to indicate he's pretty good. Regardless, even at pick 25 I dont see how the Steelers mess up this pick even if they dont get a skilled positioned player and even if they dont get Darrisaw.

...and of course it would be ideal for Tomlin if he were stuck with a OL pick and Darrisaw is still there (imo by some miracle)... We all know how much he likes players from the state of Virginia and Maryland.

https://www.thedelite.com/nfl-mock-draft/25/

Not a ton of film out there on him, but...

A Vikings fan perspective to get some idea where their team is at and how likely it is the Vikings will go after an OL and moreso Darrisaw. Seemed like the Vikings had a pretty good OL already. Are they just being greedy at this point? or is it time to pay the piper??

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Looks good but I believe this is in the wrong forum. See Bill Nunn's Draft Room. Or leave it here, I don't care.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Center would be a better pick than OT.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Outside of Creed Humphrey, that is all you have with the Center Position. Compare that to even Jalen Mayfield and the overall consensus is that Mayfield is the superior player. Given the fact that the Steelers will also likely release Big Al, Mayfield makes the most sense as Chuks can slide into Big Als role while Mayfield can be that mauling Right Tackle this Offense so desperately needs.

15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Three things nobody cares about as much as you: Your mock drafts, your fantasy lineups, and your NCAA brackets.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020

Attached Files:

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Both would be best. Go big body early and often in this draft.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Center. Tomlin thinks banner is the guy at RT. Chuks okrafor is a 3rd round pick that started all season. He's not going anywhere. No need for a tackle this early. I know we all want to upgrade but from this staff I don't see that happening. Dotson is the new guard as starter. This staff likes to bring along udfa and mid to later round draft picks for depth and later into starting roles. I don't see that changing especially with the money woes this year.:cool:

19. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Landon Dickerson will slip due to his injury. This guy was a sure fire 1st rounder who we may be able to get in the third or fourth.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I would add Jaycee Horn to the cb list.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes I could definitely see Banner at RT and Chuks at LT next season as starters, bring in an experienced swing tackle like Beachum, and draft a developmental Tackle later in the draft. That said, if the right T falls at 1.24 I think they’d take them.

If they are not taking a Tackle in Round 1 the best thing they could probably do is trade back from 24 and try to attain an additional third round pick. Center and Running back in whatever order the board falls in Rd 2, and BPA the rest of the way. They need everything, Tackle, TE, ILB, OLB, Corner, WR depth.

22. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Technically, Tomlin told Banner that he was their answer for 2021..... he didn't specify which side... Chuks still could be replaced by someone that can run block as well as they pass block

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I just don't see mt and Colbert not using banner and chuks as starters. I know we all want better but if we really follow what they have done in the past, this is it. I don't see a need him being brought in. Maybe Hawkins brought back. Walton and coyle or Collins would be next up. Not sure they pull the trigger on anything but a center in the first 3 rounds. They also kept jarron Jones through all his trouble. Collins and leglue were brought in too. They may not even bring Hawkins back.

Would they be smart in drafting one? Sure but it doesn't fit their MO lately. There really are some guys that would be worth it later that could really have high ceilings after a year. Dan Moore from Texas a&m and Landon Young from Kentucky.

I talked about Olson from Minnesota too as a later pick. He's got double digit starts in the big ten at all three interior positions. Nice guy to have for depth.

Just trying to see this from Tomlins view and who he has kept around. I can almost hear the gears turning in his head. As I've said, this isn't what I'd want but I can see it happening. Money will dictate a lot. :cool:

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    We need both

• Like Like x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I was talking about 1st round. Steelers can get the best Center in NCAA football. Not so much at OT. Best OTs usually go in top 10.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1