1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2 infrastructure tragedies in Miami in a week?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Marvology, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    More likely shoddy construction / shoddy maintenance. And in the Condo building's case, quite possibly a sinkhole or at the very least, sinking ground causing a foundation failure.

Terrorism would be obvious. An explosion for example.

A pedestrian bridge collapsed a few years ago in FL similar to the one in DC. IIRC, that one was caused by an under-reinforced connection in one of the sections. Basically, an engineering failure.

I read earlier that the building in Miami was known to have been sinking years ago. Heads will roll over that one.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    With shoddy design and inspections, add another episode title to "Miami Vice". :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The other pedestrian bridge that collapsed in Florida was still being built IIRC. I think it was flawed design and construction oversight. The engineer that looked into that one is looking into the building collapse.

From what I've read there was possibly a few issues that combined to cause the building collapse. The sinking and concrete cracking with exposed rebar under the pool area due to faulty pool liner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1