1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

10 Players That Impressed At OTAs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, even if he stinks it up in camp, I think they will roll with him as the number 3 to give him time to turn it around.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    so Dobbs goes full NASA ?

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think he’s done with football yet. He may see if he can catch on with another team or maybe he’ll stay on with the Steelers in some capacity or who knows, they carry 4 but I doubt that.

I think his aerodynamics career will be there whenever he is ready for it, no reason for him to rush.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Air Dobbs

• Like Like x 4
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Plus we got him off the scrap heap for minimum salary. Anyone else could have signed him. Why would he now be worth a pick?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Why? What is there about this guy no other team seems to see but us? Seems we do about as good getting back up QB's as we do DB's. I don't know the answer to this but wonder if there has been any former backup QBs that left the Steelers that ever did much with another team? Has there ever been a 1st round QB that was a bust on one team and became a season starting QB on another? Maybe there has but I don't recall very many if there were. We've never won a SB with a QB that we didn't draft. I think this is just the Steelers trying to make chicken salad out of you know what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Jim Plunkett, was he a 1st rounder?

Edit: 1st pick of the 1st round

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t really care about other teams. Why do so many Steelers fans think every other team is the smartest and Steelers are the dumbest. They are only one of the most successful franchises in football.

Haskins is low risk high reward, there is really no reason not to see if you can turn him around. It’s not like he was given a very big chance in Washington which by the way is a **** franchise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can't think of 1st round, but other rounds...Brett Favre, and Drew Brees come 2 mind.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Neither of those guys was a bust with their first team. The Falcons never gave Favre a shot in his only season with Atlanta. He played in two games and attempted only four passes. I think that was Glanville not wanting him. Brees was a decent starter with the Chargers. He suffered a serious injury in his final game with the team, then they let him walk as a free agent so they could hand the job to Rivers.

Tannehill might be a better example, though he showed more in Miami than Haskins did in Washington.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not going 2 argue with you. They let Brett Favre go, and Chargers draft another Qb while Drew was healthy, and then let him go. You know I watch football also.

12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Tommy Maddox, Trent Dilfer. Also, 1st round QBs usually aren't given up on so early. I think Darnold may turn it around.

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Why may i ask? Carolina wasn't a good landing spot for a prove it qb imo.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    A player who never gets an opportunity isn't a bust. Someone who watches football should know that.

Brees was a decent player, but not a star. They thought Rivers could be a star. Also, they didn't draft Rivers. They drafted Manning, then traded him for Rivers and draft picks.

(As an aside, that draft was such a Raiders moment. The first four picks were Manning, Robert Gallery to the Raiders, Larry Fitzgerald, and Rivers. One of those things is not at all like the others.)

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Was Davis still in charge of his team at that point or had to stepped down from the day to day business and let his son have a bigger role? Davis was always doing stuff like that. Need a running back but drafts a WR.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Gallery was a Davis pick, and yeah Davis was a pretty unpredictable and usually unsuccessful drafter in his later years. I remember him taking DHB based almost solely on speed, and that didn’t work out at all. He was a great gunner for us though. Rumor has it he would have been an All Pro single high safety, but we’ll never know…. Speaking of safeties, if I recall correctly Mike Mitchell was Al Davis’ second round pick in that same draft.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I wanted Robert Gallery in that draft over Ben.
    Geez was I wrong.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Cowher likes this...lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Joe Brady as OC, better weapons, change of scenery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    A buddy of mine who is a Bills fan was laughing and telling me that the Bills got the best QB of that draft in JP Losman. Oops.

• Like Like x 1
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Darnold will do good also there in Carolina. I thought the Jets could have moved down in the top 10 this past draft and kept Darnold. They could have loaded up with additional picks and given him a lot of weapons. The first mistake of the draft imo. He had zilch last year in NY plus QB killer Gase as coach. Their weapons in '19 were not awe inspiring either. I'm definitely keeping an eye on him just out of curiosity

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    He had weapons at USC & I didn't think he was all that great there. Agree that Gase was horrible in NY but the Panthers will be missing Bridgewater imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's the exact point I keep bringing up. What about USC.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He was great his first season as a starter at USC, he's the reason they won the Rose Bowl that year.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    He peaked. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1