1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Some guy from PFF doesn't think Ben should be in the hall of fame

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 17, 2022.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Brady will be back.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How’s come, n at?

3. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Whaaaaaaaaaa

You think so?!?!

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    102.1 Passer rating.
    5,316 yards *personal best*
    43 TD's *2nd personal best*

Some team's going to break the bank for this guy where he will just say it was a nice year off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Please don't do this. Please don't make me speak up for Deion Sanders. He was such a punk, but the notion that he wasn't a slam-dunk Hall of Famer is simply ludicrous.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Eli and Rivers both will be up before Ben.... if either of them go first ballot then Ben has to be first ballot.... if they wait on them (which they should IMO) then we will have to see what they do with Ben

Look at the AFC QBs in SB in Ben's 18 years

Brady 7x
    Peyton 4x
    Ben 3x
    Mahomes 2x
    Burrows 1x
    Flacco 1x

I just don't see any way Ben is not 1st ballot

HACK

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Show me a corner they call great just because he can tackle. His primary job is not to tackle. Deion was paid to cover and stop wrs. Deion is widely regarded as the best ever at corner. He was first ballot for a reason. It's you who doesn't know.

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't think rivers is a hall of famer. He's a hall of very good candidate imo. Eli should be first ballot on those 2 sb performances alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    NFL Hall of Fame has turned into the very good Fame the last 5 years.

Half the people that got in the last year had no business being in.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

I don't have an issue with Eli getting in, but no way is he first ballot. If Plunkett is not good enough to get in ever with his 2SB then Eli and his 509 winning record should not be a soak dunk.

Rivers has better #s than Eli in everything but SBs.

honestly Ben was the last to retire but should still be the first in of those 3

HACK

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yes the regular season means something to get to the post season. Its what you do there to me puts and exclamation point. Manning is an example. Beat the cheats twice and captured both MVP's.

The 3 you mentioned were great QB's and had the stats to make the Hall.

Rodgers I agree with you. But he will get the nod and be in there.

Ben should be a 1st ballot. We shall see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True. He's a steady 9th or 10th in the big categories. Still, in a position that's fairly saturated (esp given the recent orientation to the passing game - only Marino is in the top ten from older eras) I wouldn't say you put Eli in.

Nothing against the guy, and I was actually surprised by his numbers when you raised them. But for me he was a very good player with longevity, rather than a once-in-a-generation talent that required special game-planning to stop.

That said, I think he will get in.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Rivers consistently underperformed in the big moments. He numerous times had maybe the most talented team and couldn't get it done. He played with TWO other first ballot hall of famers on offense and couldn't get it done. Eli played with how many hall of famers? Only one is a past his prime Strahan..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not even sure I can take someone that posts on twitter seriously. My serious bar (i.e. shirley bar - just don't call me that) is much higher. But then again I'm old enough to know of a world before social media where we had to talk to each other face to face. This is also why that I don't take many posters on this board seriously either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

I do get your point. With Rivers losing to a Mark Sanchez... but let's not forget Ben lost to aTim Tebow

Rivers made the playoffs 6 times I think... he lost to Brady 3x Peyton 1x Ben 1x and Sanchez..... no shame in losing to those first 3 guys. They were the best in the AFC for 20 years

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Brady lost to Sanchez and Plummer. But yeah... that's not nowhere near as bad as losing to Tebow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rivers did not lose to Mark Sanchez. The Chargers lost to the Jets. Roethlisberger did not lose to Tebow. The Steelers lost to the Broncos.

Rating quarterbacks entirely or even heavily based on team wins and losses is lazy and inaccurate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In time, you too shall learn grasshopper

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

I think you are splitting hsirs a little. While I agree with what you are saying..ie.. its a team sport.... the QBs get the credit for leading a team to victory... right or wrong.. its the reality

If we want to remove the credit.. no way does Eli get in... the only reason he is even in the conversation is 2 rings.... and we all can agree it was that defense controlling the Patriots offense.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

I think you are splitting hsirs a little. While I agree with what you are saying..ie.. its a team sport.... the QBs get the credit for leading a team to victory... right or wrong.. its the reality

If we want to remove the credit.. no way does Eli get in... the only reason he is even in the conversation is 2 rings.... and we all can agree it was that defense controlling the Patriots offense.

HACK

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    There are other stats, combined with what has been mentioned so far, that should push BB into the HoF.

"In the history of the NFL, 21 different quarterbacks have passed for at least 500 yards in a single game.
    Only three quarterbacks have thrown for over 500 yards more than once in their career; Drew Brees and Tom Brady did so twice.
    Ben Roethlisberger did so four times.
    "

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have no problem with leaving Manning out. He is vastly overrated. Hell, I remember Giants fans talking about the need to bench him in the middle of the season the year they beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl the first time.

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    so why was he first ballot?

24. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Deion was 6x first team All-Pro, and 8x Pro Bowler, an AP Defensive PoY. TIFWIW, but he's second all time amongst DBs on Pro Football Reference's Hall of Fame monitor. The Top 5 are Woodson, Sanders, Lott, Reed, and Adderly. He's third all time amongst DBs in Approximate Value behind only Woodson and Lott. That's pretty august company. As mentioned he was basically shut down the other team's best receiver for a decade. You threw his way at your peril.

Anyone who thinks he's not a HoF'er is high on crack.

25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree about Phillip, "shotput" Rivers. I can think of Tomlinson but, who's the other HOFer on that offense? 1st ballot.
    Remember, this is the Chargers you're talking about. It's always been the same with them. They'd have a great offense but, no defense. Build a great defense....weak offense. I hate them more than any team in any sport but, I recognize that they've had some great players through the years. Just never a great team. If they couldn't even GET to the SB with Fouts, Chandler, Winslow and Coryell as the coach, they're never getting there!

26. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Chargers had a pretty good TE named Gates.

• Winner Winner x 1