1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson possible contract demands

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 8, 2022.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd take 5 of those 6 over DJ any day. especially over 15 mil. a year. :cool:

2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You're missing the point. Those guys, at least some of them, will be getting over 20. The low-end rate for a WR that finishes in the top 10 is 15 million.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I mean....

If people really want to get rid of Diontae that badly, they will likely be even more upset at the 2022 NFL Draft as not signing him all but indicates that the team will need to focus on the position even higher than they already need to; Chris Olave actually being a supercharged version of him but needing to spend a First Round Pick to get him. As asinine as this is going to sound, do not be surprised if the team elects to spend a third round pick on the position; doubly so if Calvin Austin III is within striking distance. Why him?

Say hello to the fastest and most efficient WR in the class. Being 5'7 is definitely an issue but his ability to not only separate but also stack DBs outside the numbers is incredible. Adding him with Diontae will augment DJ's abilities greatly; Najee also being a beneficiary as well.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Agreed.

That said, among those five Mac listed, one of them is likely to break the infamous $30+ Million mark. For that matter, I believe that to happen sooner than later. Keep in mind that DeAndre Hopkins is currently the highest paid one; $27,250,000 annually due to the two year contract he received from the Cardinals. Now, among the names @mac daddyo listed, Deebo Samuel is my personal early odds favorite not just to go past $30 Million per year but possibly even closer. How come? Trey Lance is still on a Rookie Contract and Nick Bosa is likely to merely have his fifth year option picked up if anything else. Furthermore, Deebo is the engine of Kyle's Offense. Removing him is a big detriment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's fine, i get that, but DJ is not in the same galaxy as those 5. top 10 is one thing, 8 TD's is another. games are not won with yardage. he's looking to get over 15 mil by the way. more like the 17 mil. range. he only got in the endzone in 8 out of 17 games. i like DJ but that's a lot for that type of production. he's got 20 TD's in 47 games. kupp has 40 in 57 games. deebo has 21 in 38 games but he also does a heck of a lot more then just catch passes. tyreek has 62 in 97 games. he also does a lot of other things. chase has 13 TD's in 17 games as a rookie and is playing in the super bowl. yea those guys will get paid as they should.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-wide-receiver-rankings

DJ isn't even on this list of the top 25. :cool:

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That type of talent tends to end up in the Hall of Fame. There's like maybe 5-7 guys in the league at any given time that are like that. Kupp, Jefferson, Adams, Chase, Samuel, Hill, Diggs. Most receivers dont consistently take over games. That isn't a trait of MOST #1 receivers. That's a trait for ELITE WR's. He's not an elite WR, but he is a darn solid #1. He's statistically a top 10 receiver, and he did it with the worst OL in the league and a QB on his last leg who didn't push the ball downfield. I just don't understand what more you want from the kid? He's a solid #1 WR whether you want to believe it or not.

He got a lot better again last year as well. Worked on the thing that plagued him the year before and DRASTICALLY improved it. He's a talented kid that obviously worked hard, isn't an issue on or off the field, and has been one of very few bright spots our offense has had to offer the past two years. There's NO reason to trade him or let him go. None.

He's not AB... There's less than 10 WR's that EVER played the position that are better than AB. DJ is (supposedly) asking for 15mil, which is WR#17 money. That's not BIG money. He is absolutely worth 15 million a year.

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Check out the link, it's interesting to see. Some people have GREAT contracts for the team (like Diggs at 14.4 mil and Kupp at 15.75mil), while others are stuck paying Kenny Golladay (18m) Courtland Sutton (15m), Jarvis Landry (15.1m), Brandon Cooks (16.2m), and Robby Anderson (14.75m) way more than they're worth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Only 8 guys got 10 TD's this season. Only 15 guys scored more TD's than Diontae this year and 4 of them were TE's.... That makes him the 12th most TD's in the league for WR's. Not elite, but nothing to scoff at. He also isn't asking for elite WR money, so idk what the problem is?

Kupp had 3 TD's last year, Hill only scored one more TD than DJ this year, Deebo has only 10 career TD's receiving and only 7 career TD's prior to this season. I'm not saying he is as good as these guys, but these guys will get paid WAY more than DJ will when its their time to get paid. So again, it makes sense. He's worth 17 million dollars, and a bargain at 15 million. He just is. The cap keeps rising and so will the contracts.

PFF rankings aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Robby Anderson had a good year last year, he dropped off this year. Do we pay DJ and if he drops off will we be stuck too? it's a crap shoot that can turn in a season. Being stuck with trying to rebuild isn't the smartest idea. I don't think he's a game changer enough yet to take this type of chance. Let him play the year left and tag him if necessary to get a deal done. He has to bring more to be our go to. Does he command double coverage? Does he beat double coverage? Can be change a game? Can be take over a game? Many questions that haven't quite been answered to pay a hefty contract. :cool:

9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    True, but the season for Anderson was anomalous. 32 catches and 150 yards more than any of his previous seasons. He also only had 5 TD's that season. Not quite the same situation.

It goes both ways too. If DJ has another 1100 yard, 8 TD season... then maybe he starts to command even more money. Or he goes to FA where he can be signed away to a higher bidder when he's by far our best WR threat. Or he ends up costing 18 or 19 mil instead of 15 or 16 because we waited another year. Heck, he could have an even bigger year and cost us 20 or more.

DJ seems like a super safe bet to be at least what he has shown thus far. His talents are ones that translate well. He gets open, he catches a good percentage of his targets, and he has gotten better every year he has been in the league. There's no reason to get super stingy on a guy that has performed the way he has, hasn't been a negative personality on or off the field, worked hard, and seemingly has fair contract demands. We need more guys like DJ on the offensive side of the ball, not less. Especially when the dollar amount is fair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I heard from a couple guys at a bar that Diontae wants a bathtub filled with champagne every game and intercourse with Baker Mayfield's mom every time the Steelers beat the Browns. The guy is a diva. Can't put that in a contract!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's got a very similar stat sheet to that of juju the first 3 years. why not juju? :cool:

12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Moats on DJ

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I don’t think they are willing to work for free

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I doubt you are an employer. I don't think you would feel the same way if you were.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

exactly what i have been saying. :cool:

16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    So you are saying the salary cap should not increase in proportion to profits?

17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well they are similar and not, right? Juju's best year was in his second year opposite AB. He then struggled the next two years comparatively and then got hurt this past season. DJ's past few years have been an upward trajectory instead of a downward. Each year that DJ has been on the Steelers he has posted statistically superior seasons to Juju (including his rookie season). Juju has worth in the market, his worth just isn't as high as DJ.

I honestly think we should think about signing both of them. Juju is tough, reliable, and a terrific competitor. I would love to have him back, and think we should try to get him back. I think his value is somewhere in the 8-10mil range in the open market but it could be lower due to his injury. I think that is fair and I would take him at that price in a heartbeat. Those two with Muth and Harris would be a very competent allotment of receiving threats. All very different, but excellent in their own way. Any improvement from Claypool would be gravy on top.

18. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I don't believe that there should be a salary cap, but I also don't believe that anyone should make $50,000,000 a year playing a sport or anything else.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    LMAO, you do realize that without a salary cap the Steelers would have one of the lowest payroll in the league right? FFS.

So you don't believe there should be a cap, but also don't believe that players should make top dollar....that makes zero sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I really like this show because I'm so much like Deke and I love how Moats checks his cynicism constantly. Moats is a special guy so much positive energy.

Didn't see this episode yet but I bet they have different takes. They're an odd couple without having to fake it like ESPN and FS1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is depressing knowing that he could possibly be at 15 Mill. He drops way too many balls for my liking.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers have always paid their superstar players fairly and one of the few
    teams throughout the decades to PAY UP TO TH CAP year in year out. meaning their sub players are well compensated also.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

juju's and DJ's first 3 years were near identical in totals, but juju had way more yards per catch. juju's 4th year he had his most TD's scored. the third year juju was hurt and only played in 12 games. his 4th year he still had 97 receptions and 9 TD's.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitJu00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnDi01.htm

one you want to give 15-20 mil. a year the other just let go? i don't see that much improvement from what one did to the other to justify that kind of jump. :cool:

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    JuJu had the benefit of a better version of Ben and a better offensive line to protect that better version of Ben and allow pass plays to develop. I want to keep both guys if possible, but DJ’s market value is certainly higher based on recent productivity and game film.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    look at catch percentage and fumbles. they both had mason and duck in 2019. i don't see much of a difference as you are making excuses for with a better o-line and better ben with. 2020 was a pretty good year to compare. 75% catch percentage to 61%. less yards for juju, but 2 mor TD's. long TD's are way more on juju's side in their first 3 years. i just don't see the justifycation for that big of increase in pay. :cool: