1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Showing Early Interest in Liberty QB Malik Willis

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelersfaninPhilly, Feb 1, 2022.

1. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Not a fan of the short qb, 6'4" or better. Just me.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes but thought you were making a comparison of TD’s to interception ratio, hard to throw interceptions on rushing TD’s lol.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I said 42 total TDs with zero turnovers. I don’t know how many fumbles Willis lost last season, but he, what 12 interceptions? 14? I don’t recall exactly.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bradshaw was 6'3 :shrug:

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah I guess He ruined His draft with the play He showed. So His agent said Don't go back in. LoL.

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Don’t know if he ruined it, but he certainly didn’t do anything to help himself. We couldn’t see the whole field on TV, so we really don’t know if he had any options downfield without throwing into good coverage. It would have been worse if he forced the ball and turned it over.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah. It hard 2 believe nobody was open the whole time He played and that the couple He threw had 2 be almost dug out of the ground.
    Really My biggest thing is Why the league wide push for this type of players at Qb. I know You heard them gushing over Him,and also talking about How in the NFL the drop back passers are the thing of the past. While 2 drop back Qbs are playing in the SB. LoL. I just don't understand the narrative, or what,and why they are pushing it.
    I guess I'm dumb. Pickett (who I'm not completely sold on) scores....Yet they go on,and on about Willis like Pickett didn't just drive ,and score. I'm lost. LoL

• Like Like x 2
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we don't know that yet. Maybe a 3rd this year and a first and 3rd next year. Maybe mason thrown in to sweeten the deal. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Your problem isn’t with Willis, its with running QB’s. You don’t want to see the league shift from football you grew up watching. For me, the game already doesn’t resemble what I grew up watching, so I can either shake my fist at the clouds or just accept that things change. Tom Brady told Jackson he’s next, he is the future. Like it or not, the league will feature more running QB’s than pocket passers some day. When that happens and there are more running QB’s to pocket passers, then it will actually mean something when/if there is a pocket passers still representing the SB as opposed to running QB’s.

The fact that you still do not recognize Allen as a very good QB proves this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    OK, Terry Bradshaw or 6'4" or better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Running QBs who have to run to be effective, or mobile QBs who can run when needed? I think he’s advocating for the formula that works. How many true running QBs have won championships? Pretty sure the answer is zero. Yet we’ve seen some pretty middle of the pack pocket passers win titles, even a few recently. Foles, Flacco, an old, completely washed up Manning. The closest a team has come were Newton and Kaepernick winning NFC championships. It’s also not like the running QB is some kind of new innovation that has started with LJ. Remember Vince Young? His hero-ball college tape was light years ahead of what we’ve seen from Willis. Hell, he won an FBS championship (almost single handedly) with an effort that included a 200 yard, 3 TD rushing performance. He didn’t pan out despite being a great athlete, and great college QB. We all know about Cam Newton. He was going to change the game of football too, but didn’t. What has LJ really done outside of the regular season? Kaepernick entered the league like a lion, but was already going out like a lamb (having lost his starting role to Blaine Gabbert for several games) before becoming a controversial figure.

The league has had promising running QBs recently, and they have consistently been figured out by enough defenses to prevent them from having long term success. If you can’t see the whole field, find the open guy (mostly by understanding the coverage and anticipating who will be coming open), and consistently hit the open guy with accurate throws, you’re not going to be an NFL franchise QB. Period.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Why was my last post deleted?

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Calling it here…Jackson is not next. He won’t win one Super Bowl, let alone seven. How many run first quarterbacks have won Super Bowls…I’ll wait. I’m not referring to the Steve Young, Pat Mahomes, Russell Wilson types who have the ability to run if a play breaks down but who can kill you with huge chunks of yardage by throwing the ball downfield. Look at this year’s Super Bowl. Burrow and Stafford move okay, but they’ll never be mistaken for running quarterbacks. It does seem like many analysts are trying to force this issue for some reason. I went back and watched some Kordell Stewart highlights recently. He was absolutely awesome. But it was Neil O’Donnel that got the Steelers back to the Super Bowl and he was basically immobile. He was an accurate passer though and a good distributor of the football. For my money, give me a passer over a runner anyday. JMHO. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Really? You want to start a conversation about whether the media was only talking about Willis because he’s black, and you think that’s going to lead to a positive, non-political/racial discussion on the message board?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

You explain the hype for his 27 tds, and 12 interceptions then..lol

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This is not the winning argument people think it is. As I said in my previous post, when there are more running QB’s than pocket passers and pocket passers are still representing the SB, then this narrative will actually mean something.

Right now there and throughout history there have been far more pocket passers than running QB’s, its not saying much pointing out SB’s have been dominated by pocket passers.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    His physical ability is very high. I’m not at all in favor of drafting him, but the potential is there if he can learn how to actually play QB. His film doesn’t lie. There are huge flaws that point to him not being anywhere near a polished QB, but he makes some “wow” plays that most good QBs completely lack the physical talent to make. I remember similar discussions about Josh Allen and his potential drowning out discussion about more polished QBs entering the draft. It turned out that the people saying that his talent could be harnessed and polished were right in his case. Raw talent and upside vs. proven ability to play the QB position is a legit debate.

+ by the way, Josh Allen’s college passing stats were quite a bit worse than Willis’, and he didn’t face any SEC or ACC teams.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

as elvis pointed out, this isn't something new. things do change and the fact that QB's in this league cost so much for a franchise that having that commodity injured and not winning championships won't fly very long. this isn't college ball where the running qb is the offense. just like the option or wishbone never made it to the nfl game, nor will this become the new norm. it's too hard to get these guys and keep them on the field for their careers.
    everyone in the nfl can run, unlike college where there are some deficiencies on most teams. teams don't want a short shelf life with they're highest priced players. you keep bringing up allen and yes he can run when he has to, but he also threw over 600 passes this year. that means he is a passer first. that's what they want him to do. joe burrow can run too, but again he threw over 500 passes. willis threw 265 and 309 passes all season. LJ threw 382 times in 12 games. they didn't make the playoffs even with his 133 rushes. lamar also had 31 interceptions and 37 fumbles in 4 years. those are killer to a team.

willis, against his best competition which was mississippi he threw for 173 yards and 3 interceptions. he ran 27 times for 1 TD. he lost of course. more turnovers then TD's. against La.-Monroe, a pretty decent team, he threw for 135 yards and a TD. he also threw 3 interceptions. he ran for 2 TD's on 23 attempts. ok almost as many carries as passes thrown in that game but still 3 TD's and 3 turnovers. the better the competition the more he ran and still lost the games. there were games he ran more then he threw passes. that won't cut it in the nfl for very long. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok… so now the argument that there aren’t enough running QBs compared to pocket QBs to draw conclusions comes up, but when comparing injuries suffered by running QBs vs pocket QBs the ratio of running QBs to pocket QBs is ignored. :thumbs_up:

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Well if thats the case the hype is all abt his (Potential) , Then Zappe should be in the conversation also:shrug:, at least he has the production to prove he can play, he might not have physical traits the NFL looks for, but neither did Brady, Flutie, or Brees , among others

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree he’s worth a look, but he put those stats up in an offense that had him throw nearly 700 passes last year. It’s like the Texas Tech Air Raid offenses a few years back where BJ Symons, Kliff Kingsbury and Graham Harrell all had 5,000+ yard 45+ TD pass seasons. He looked OK yesterday, but ended the game with a very underthown deep ball to an open receiver that was intercepted.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    He will be gone by 20 don’t be stupid and move up Again draft Ridder I know you read this crap Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah thats the same, I pointed out that Jackson and Allen have run a ton, Allen hasn’t missed any games and Jackson 4 this year, an injury coming on a routine QB play. :facepalm:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Young ran for 4,239 yards in his career, four seasons with 400+ yards, one season with 500 yards.

Russel Wilson has run for 4689 yards, four seasons of 500+ yards, one season just shy of 500 yards and one season with 849 yards.

To put that in perspective, Ben is a scrambling QB, ran to avoid the rush and by time and had 1373 rushing yards.

Young and Wilson are absolutely running QB’s.

I don’t think Brady meant Jackson will win 7 SB’s, just that he is the future of the NFL. Tomlin isn’t the only one with the mobile rhetoric. You guys here fighting it might as well get used to it, the game has evolved from what we watched growing up and will continue to evolve.

By the way, Jackson was leading the league in every category early in the year before the team fell apart. I don’t want him to win a SB but he is going to. Allen will win one as well. The more the league shifts to that type of QB the more that will win SB’s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I need a blowing raspberries pic here.:tongue:
    LoL
    In 2 years when everyone is saying Allen is having a down year. Remember Me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1