1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooney

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 22, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bill Cowher and Kevin Colbert disagree with you.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    His legacy is cemented. 3 SB’s appearances, 2 championships on his watch. He doesn’t have to do anything else.

• Like Like x 3
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But We hope He does.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
  4. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    IMO ARII has to reinforce winning in the trenches. I'm fine with the Super Bowls being stuck at 2 under him; I'm not OK with being this soft.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree but you still need to have some football awareness to know when your coach or talent scouts are not performing and when to pull the plug when it's not working or what fixes they need to make. Something I don't think this Rooney is capable of.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree with the need to get that eye of the tiger hardnosed Steeler football back. However, how long are you ok with being "stuck" at 2 SB's? I thought it was Dan R holding the Lombari on the platform, not ARII? This team could be really under ARII for a very long time (see Chief's tenure). You should ask this in one of those polls you can create on this board and see how many agree with that. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ya think

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    In what way though? Stories have been out there that Dan did overrule a pick for Shawn Andrews for BB. I don't think that's too far fetched.

9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This is a good draft to pick up linemen Days 2 and 3.
    Get a little better blocking and Harris will light up some defenses.
    That plays into better QB play.

Rooney's aren't the problem, age is.

He's interviewing some good people for the GM spot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bill Cowher clearly states he and KC did not expect Ben to be there, that they would not trade up, but if he was there, they were taking him. He was there. He stated it. There is no reason not to believe him. Both he and KC scouted Ben personally.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Without a passing game, it’s hard to have a ground game. We’ve seen that this past 2 seasons. Can’t have a good passing game without a good O line, and decent QB. That’s a lot of holes to fill.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dan said in his book he pushed them towards Ben. So its a case of he said they said.

Given the reports that Bill wanted that lineman, their claim that Dan is exaggerating comes off more as trying to save face to me. Reports were also that Bill liked Rivers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    3 coaches in 125 years. I don’t think so maybe 50.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I had also heard the reports on Rivers. Remember Bill coach him in the Senior bowl that Year.

15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

A blind squirrel could see that Matt Canada is not a good OC with poorly designed plays, yet Tomlin with Rooney's backing will go another year with this guy. I know blame it on Ben, but you will see next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I don't blame it on Ben at all.
    If you didn't notice, the end of 2020 brought about a ton of changes here. Age, Cap issues, etc.....
    I am really surprised the Steelers finished better than 4-13.
    They were competitive despite the exodus.

So where are they now? (end of 2021)
    The Offensive Line didn't block well, that surely didn't help an aging QB and those 2nd and 3rd reads just didn't happen.
    The run game did ok despite the poor line play.
    The defense couldn't stop the run.

Where do they go?
    It's a no-brainer that the Offensive line needs to improve.
    They need a QB - which is the hardest need to address (Oh yes, there will be some agony)
    They could use an upgrade at WR, a threat type player.
    They need to upgrade LB to stop the run.

Canada's Offense?
    I watch a ton of film; I know plays and can identify them pre-snap on both sides of the ball.
    I don't think I give Canada a A+ at any time. I also don't give him an F
    What I do see is the design of play does get people open.
    I also see the plan to attack the Defense's weak points.
    I also see an Offense that brought a spit ball shooter to a nuclear war.

To put it simple, if I changed Canada with Kansas City's Eric Bieniemy:
    Kansas would probably be a little less formative but still dangerous.
    So, he's not as good but capable and I don't even know what his ceiling is yet.
    But that's the way I see it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Karl, agree with most of the above, with the exceptions on Canada's Offense.
    I would give Canada a D for the year.
    Never saw the design of plays that got people open. In fact I saw a lot bad swing passes to Harris that maybe worked once. Many receivers that never went past the 1st down marker.
    I never saw where he designed plays to suite the type of players he had. He also under utilized our tight ends.
    Kansas Chiefs offense has so many different plays that it makes Canada's look like pee wee league. Not one trick play all year.
    I did agree that Ben spit ball shooter did not help in throwing down the middle or on long passes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Design of play that gets people open?. I'm sorry, I didn't see that! I don't know if that was on Ben ? the OL?, the WR's?

But I sure didn't see the " gets people open " part

19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Sometimes I think people's TV's work differently.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    People got open - Not sure of your circumstance, but yes, he did get people open. But I will admit, that Ben under pressure last year was not the same as the years past. Those slow developing routes, like double moves, drags, etc.. didn't really get a chance.

Throwing short of the 1st down - As a QB, I never understood the concept of throwing 5 yards when you need 7. Rec'r need to know that and be coached for that. The exception being if these a mile of green in front of the 5-yard guy.. Rec'r are supposed to be coached to adjust patterns to down and distance.

Let me clear it up on Canada, I don't give this guy an "A"
    But at the same time, I know the OL did not do well and that narrows the playbook.
    I also think they need to find an Antonio Brown (in his prime) to be the go-to guy.
    Additionally, Pittsburgh subscribes hard to 'promoting from within' which, I think as good most of the time... but as I said in the Austin thread, sometimes you need to inject some new ideas.

Now I can diagram Canada's plays and schemes and show the video to support, but I think we do agree and it's just to what level we assign fault to.
    I do want to see the TE's utilized more also.
    Hopefully in 2022, they get more weapons. (but QB scares the bejesus out of me)

21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Their eyes too

• Like Like x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

AR 2 is doing just fine. Sure, some of the more recent decisions have been puzzling but nothing of serious concern for me. Now, compare this to someone like Stephen Ross or even Jeffrey Lurie!! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  23. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    You applying for the job?