1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Teryl Austin the Next DC??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe it matters. I don’t think an established DC will agree to come here if he isn’t the one running the defense.

Tomlin can get away with that when he just promotes people from within because they have no clout and are happy to just get a better coaching position.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :lolol: :roflmao::lolol:

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Damn ... took playcalling duties away from LeBeau? That's cold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It is kinda funny all this time people been saying Tomlin does nothing and now it's he's doing too much!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    When all you have is red paint you paint the barn red ... probably one of the greatest DC's ever in LeBeau. WOW!

SMH!!!

Hey, I like Mike Tomlin, but he ain't no LeBeau.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Which makes his accomplishments even more impressive. Imagine not having him. It would be essentially the 2015 Steelers Pass Defense but supercharged to such a point that the 1960 expansion Dallas Cowboys' performance would look like the 1976 Steelers!! :eek:

That season's pass defense was horrific.

7. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know, I don't really love our secondary right now. I don't like our inability to develop DB's that stretches back years now...might not exactly be Austin's fault, however:

We were excited about Pierre, we were excited about Sutton; We had expectations for Layne, given where he was drafted. Overall, all 3 kinda fell flat this year. Norwood has played well as a rookie, but he is a 7th round pick?!!! Edmunds has been solid for us, no doubt. But we are expecting more splash from a first round pick. We whiffed on Artie Burns.

Our Secondary was solid with Minkah, Haden, and Nelson all FA's ... I'm scratchin my head?

I have no confidence in the Steelers developing a strong and deep, so to speak ;), Secondary Unit.

Is it scouting and player assessment?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Tomlin and LeBeau ran two different systems. LeBeau was a holdover, not Tomlins guy. Makes sense.

9. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    LeBeau was JUST a holdover ... gotcha.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Like I said people are making too big of a deal about this :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Guys flip this on its head for a minute. The 08 Defense was considered one of the best since the heights of Blitzburgh and drew comparisons to the 76 team. And every thing you read about it credits DL and how great a job he did with the defense he put together. So if the stories are true that has got to just eat away at Tomlin that he gets no mention in that. Barely a footnote in perhaps one of the greatest plays in the SB in Harrison's pick 6 because Tomlin made a highlight reel of guys not blocking on a pick to get guys to the endzone the night before the game. Yet we talk about Harrison's play. Tomlin get no recognition for his own team. That's has got to just be awkward.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I never said "Just" a holdover, you did. I said he was a holdover.

14. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    No I'm saying he is more than a holdover. He is Dick MF'n LeBeau. Dude changed the game. And Tomlin is going to say to him he isn't worthy of callin' the D? Or Someone is actually going to do a better job?

I am a Tomlin supporter, but I can't support that.

When you got one of the best in the game, you use him ... you don't cast him aside.

As a coach you got to know what you got! What your strengths and weaknesses are. He had BEHR MARQUEE paint in his closet and he decided not to use it to paint his barn.

I'm starting to have some clarity here ... the way LeBeau got ran out of town and then Troy.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  15. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He's Cowhers DC, not mines.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

What I have been saying the whole time Tomlin rarely has a playsheet, but he's calling all the plays :shrug:.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    With the terrible personnel in 2013 and 2014 it actually kind of made sense to have Tomlin call his Tampa 2 simplified defense.

No exotic blitzes, no LB dropping into zone, no plays designed for the nickel corner or safety to come on a blitz etc.

You could see the Steelers shifting from Lebeau's defensive scheme to Tomlin's over the years. Transition is complete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011

I'm kinda torn, we really aren't a great blitzing team anymore. Rushing the passer yes, blitzing not so much ... especially with the loss of Mike Hilton.

But on the other hand, you can't really blitz guys like Mahomes and Brady, they will just eat you alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Troy was too slow to play deep safety in Tomlin's defense honestly. Lebeau knew how to use Troy up near the los, in robber, on TE etc. Tomlin just keeps the safeties high for the most part.

Not that Mike Mitchell was any better or cheaper.

I agree that Steeler legends leave the team unceremoniously nowadays though.

21. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Either way Tomlin had the LB at the los and KC was dropping the ball over their heads on screens over and over. Same thing as Buffalo did vs KC.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Ran out of town? Lebeau was getting up there in years and his ridiculously complex defense was not paying dividends anymore. It was past time. Yes, him and Dom Capers were pioneers for what they came up with, but their systems don't work in today's NFL. They get carved up by good to great quarterbacks. After Pittsburgh, Lebeau went to Tennessee and Vrabel wasn't too impressed. Dom Capers is an assistant to the Detroit Lions. See what they did last season?

23. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Thats a fair question. Theres so much smoke to this.

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Tomlin users telepathy to call the plays.

25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Did you just compare Tomlin to Belichick?! :facepalm:

The 80s Giants and 00s Patriots don't give up 40 points to Bortles or Mayfield. They don't even give up 40 to Mahomes.

As for offensive coaches I've never heard Sean Payton called a genius. I'm pretty sure Bountygate ruined his reputation.

Andy Reid deserves recognition for his offenses. I'd take Reid as OC over Tomlin as DC any day. I literally said before the KC game "If Tomlin has LB trying to cover Kelce it's an automatic loss" and then we watched Spillane traipsing 3 yards behind Kelce all game or exploiting the seam between the DB and ILB. Hilarious. Same way the Patriots have been destroying Tomlin's defense for years.