1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cowher vs Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by hmmmmm, Jan 19, 2022.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    What about a big back with big hands who can beat off defenders?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with You a lot, but 2 say Dan F., and W. Moon , J. Kelly are head ,and shoulders better Qbs than Ben is either
    1. You didn't watch them
    2. You have some hate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Ok...that's was an exaggeration. I take it back :facepalm::lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :thumbs_up:

5. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin's own standard is Super Bowls.

“I am extremely grateful for this contract extension and want to thank Art Rooney II and everyone in the organization for the support in my first 14 seasons,” Tomlin said in a statement. “We have a goal of winning the organization’s seventh Super Bowl championship, and I couldn’t be more enthusiastic about this upcoming season.”

The closest Tomlin has gotten to a Super Bowl in 11 seasons was being down 24 in the 4th quarter to Brady/Belichick.

Tomlin as GM would fire Tomlin the coach. Tomlin fired Arians after 2011 and fired Lebeau after 2014.

How come Arians got fired 3 seasons after winning a Super Bowl, and Lebeau got fired 6 seasons after winning a Super Bowl; but Tomlin can't be fired 5 seasons without winning a playoff game?

Arians was fired 1 season after going to the Super Bowl. Well Tomlin is at 11.

6. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Maybe cause most people realize winning playoff games doesnt equate to winning a SB and if you're not winning a SB nothing else matters. Winning playoff games is in fact a overrated stat or achievement if there are no SBs to commend it. I already proved earlier that there are more than enough examples of teams that weren't even in the playoffs the previous year and managed to go all the way to the SB the next. You know how many different teams have won the SB since the Steelers last won it? 10...only the Patriots have done it twice. What does that tell you??...for one you're not going to be a dynasty anymore so you can forget acting like it's the 70s all over again. 2) Steelers arent the only good team in the league 3) Steelers are gonna have to wait there turn just like everybody else. Stop with the unrealistic expectations. You think 31 other coaches dont have the same expectations as Tomlin? Well someones gonna be sorely disappointed.

If the team was a complete dumpster fire I would say even the Rooneys would have departed from tradition by now and got rid of him, but it's not and far from it. I remember you even commenting just recently that the Steelers were in rebuild mode this past season...how many teams you know of have ever had a winning record in rebuild mode, much less make the playoffs ?? If anything as fans you should feel much better than worse about this team if in fact you believe they are in "rebuild mode".

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It took Cowher 14 years to win a Super Bowl, and two years prior his team sucked. Thank goodness the Rooney’s don’t make knee jerk reactions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes maybe you don't follow me? LOL.

Tampa just acquired Brady. He is playing below his market value in Tampa. Brady also played in NE below his market value. As a result, NE could use that money on other players.

Green Bay won one championship one year into Rodgers 2nd contract. How did paying Rogers more affect the Packers roster decisions?

The bill will come due for Mahommes and the Chiefs soon. As a result, they will lose quality players. That will affect their roster.

Buffalo is in the same situation as the Chiefs. The bill will be due as Allen''s salary takes up more cap space. It will affect Bills roster.

The Steelers did a good job remaining competitive paying Ben. Paying Ben market value affected the Steelers overall depth.

Once Seattle paid Wilson it affected their roster.

I get that teams have to pay franchise QBs. It's difficult to win games without franchise QBs. Once franchise QBs start taking up more cap space it affects the overall quality and depth of a team. Does this make sense to you now?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    When you look down the list of SB winning QBs since...say...around 2001...you could even go to 99 when Kurt Warner won. It shows a pretty clear path to getting to and/or winning a SB. Most of the winning QBs the past 20 years were either one rookie deals, very early in their second contract where the full cap implications of their deal weren't yet felt, or were named Tom Brady taking team friendly deals.

The exceptions were really Manning and Brees. Otherewise, the rest fell into one of the 3 buckets i mentioned.

To win SBs I think you need a franchise guy on a rookie deal or very early in contract two.
    To be relevant you need a franchise QB (suggesting he's getting paid and depth is suffering. So you've got a punchers chance at a SB...but a harder climb)

The Steelers have been squarely in the punchers chance club for the past 11 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I remember fans wanting Cowher gone in the 1998-2000 years
    it even really creeped into 2003 season as well.

He was basically labeled as "Marty Schotenhiemer the II" can't win the playoffs can't win a big game.

Cowher was 2-4 in AFC Championship games, the 4 he lost where all at home to boot. 1-1 in Super Bowls

But there he is with a HOF bust in Canton. He was a great coach.

I know plenty aren't happy with Tomlin, but there will not be a coaching change. It would have to get really bad for several seasons for it to even be considered. The Rooney's are as loyal as it comes to coaches.

He would be hired in an instant by almost 90% of NFL teams looking for a coach. The only way there will be a coaching change is for Tomlin to get caught doing something very illegal and bad, or if he just wants to stop coaching.

Don't see him stopping. Cowher could of kept going, but he had enough wanted to spend time with his family. I don't think many people realize how much sacrifice there is and how much time there is in being an NFL coach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    So you feel we are close to being a super bowl team. When your answer is hell no. That means I made my point.

12. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Tomlin is garbage everyone with a brain knows it. If you can’t see it I can’t help you.

13. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I said the fans of a team that had a playoff win and lost somewhere in the playoffs FELT like their team was close. Like the Jaguars losing to the Patriots. The referee blew an early whistle that the Jaguars picked up a fumble and ran it back for a TD. If that early whistle doesn’t save the Patriots the Jaguars would have won the game. That’s what losing but feeling close to a championship feels like. I am sure you will say but we don’t know they go on to win. Well how about the ruck rule game. If the refs call it a fumble the raiders take a knee and win. That’s what it FEELS like to be close. Is there some crazy play that would have changed the out game of the chiefs beat down of the Steelers NO. That’s because we are NOT close. We will never sniff a championship with coach Dumbass in charge.

14. Greg95Lloyd

Greg95Lloyd Member

Jan 18, 2022

15. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Why do I have to feel anything? Feelings do nothing but create conversation for the message board. They have no bearing on how well a team will perform from year to year. That's why you have so many examples of teams that didnt make the playoffs one year and the next they are in the Super Bowl. That's why you also only have one team ever to lose a SB and then win it the next year. There's so many things that have to go right for a team to win a SB it's ridiculous. You really can't hang your hat on one season and then think the next it's all going to come together....look at the Browns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Right now Tomlin is already a HOF coach (Without controversy) ...one more SB win and he's first ballot. You're starting to lose any sort of credibility on this board...at least in my eyes...and you're looking like a pure hater.

17. Greg95Lloyd

Greg95Lloyd Member

Jan 18, 2022
    Tomlin/Colbert never had to even think of drafting an early round QB unlike 90% of the league! Talk about a luxury!!

18. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    A lot of woulda coulda shoulda again. You also just proved my point that feelings mean nothing...neither the Raiders or the Jaguars have come anywhere close to a SB since those games regardless of how the fans felt about those teams even after those unfortunate events. You're so wrapped up in your own personal feelings about Tomlin that youre risking being stuck on stupid, because you're disregarding reality. The NFL because of free agency is about as unpredictable and evenly matched a sports organization there is. There's no way you can go from one season to the next thinking anything is in the bag. Every season is it's own individual season and you cant harp on past successes or failures. Your team would have to be a complete dumpster fire in order to not have some type of hope going into the season, but because it's so tied to free agency, injuries, unpredictable events, competent refereeing, luck you can never feel that great about it either. If you are then you just are setting yourself up to be a person much like yourself. Totally irrational, unrealistic, and bitter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would agree with the statement that Tomlin is most likely a HOF. He has matched everything Cowher has done as far as accolades.

But on the other hand, some people didn't think Cowher should get in ... it will be important to see how Tomlin finishes his career. I'm sure that will skew perception one way or the other.

I think Tomlin is a good coach. Good leader of men. I can't see how he would ever lose a locker room.

This team is clearly lacking talent, Tomlin can't coach his way out of that. Now how much of that is on Colbert and how much Tomlin? They work together on acquisition.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Marino might arguably be the best QB in the HOF to never win a SuperBowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Manning had a great defense in 2015, the 2017 Steelers not so much.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If you could administer truth serum I bet half the people here saying how great Cowher was also wanted him fired back then.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He never had the QB, until the end ... that is why I don't understand people who have wanted to run Ben out of town the last 3-4 years, and taking shots at him all year.

Average QBs rarely, if ever, win Superbowls. If you don't have the QB you ain't going to the dance. There is a reason it took 20 years since Bradshaw.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    One more super bowl and Tomlin just came out of your mouth. The HOF is also getting watered down. Maybe Tomlin gets in maybe he doesn’t. Most people on this board would not vote for him. That doesn’t mean it will or won’t get in. When you are required to put a certain number of people in every year it’s easy to get watered down.

25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Such a debate. But not really it’s a pick your fave or poison or preference in all reality.

pros and cons either way you dice it.

bill had dad… mike had dad and now son… lot to chew on there. Bill hung it up with dad and never had to deal with son.

for all of bills Marty ball comparison which was legit, we lost him and have a Marty results coach currently.

things change and I’m not going to get into all of it simply because as a fan my opinion does not matter much. Every arguement has some merit to it…. Who did more with less, who had the Ben for whatever amount of time, who wasted Ben (when bill had him we were collectively screaming for him to uncuff Ben and he did for the playoff run which got him to the dance and a very poor version of the savior QB come for all the marbles time)

the debate will never end. I wanted cowher gone numerous times glad it wasn’t my call. Questioned the Rooney way through all of it as well.

my hang up on Mike is as simple as the talk that falls flat. This weekend it was so t blink or cut cut your eyelids off blah blah blah… and bens leaving no stone unturned… yet they did nothing different. schematically a few dropped passes could’ve made a difference in points scored or in the least resting the D.

Just tired of the putting the foot down speech or tough talk that yields rip. When cowher said we’ll get them again so don’t even trip, they did get them and his words mattered.

that’s just really how I feel in a nut shell. One was Marty ball and with a missing key ingredient… the other had Marty balls players and come post season sans the Zona win produced Marty ball post season results and counting.

go Steelers n at

• Like Like x 1