1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

SteelerGlenn’s off-season moves

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2022.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So let me get this straight, you want Wormley and Loudermilk as starters? That's a terrible idea. We've seen that already this season and our Run defense has been garbage.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    No one will trade from Tuitt because only 2 things can be true (1) he's too physically unhealthy to play or (2) he's healthy enough to play but mentally unable or unwilling to play. You're not going to give up premium draft capital unless you know the player is wiling and able to take the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm not going to pretend to know for sure what's going on cause no one here knows for certain. I know this, he isn't available and that's a problem. Nobody with any sense is trading for this guy. To much salary to take on and to much uncertainty. I'm not even sure where people get these looney ideas.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, I would do it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Wormley works as a 1 gap DT/DE. He got a lot of pressure. Steelers should run a 4 man front and stop pretending they care about the 3-4. That's just terminology or ideology at this point. Can upgrade from Wormley in FA. Rotational depth needed.

Watt Tuitt Heyward Wormley

Devin Bush Devin Lloyd (Double Devins)

Play the nickel. Play cover 3 robber and have a S come up in the box.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Loudermilk wound up fighting through injuries, and he was a rookie. We don't know what his second year jump will be, but I am a believer. You would think he would be spelling Cam Heyward, Loudermilk wouldn't be the starter. Wormley has about 7 sacks this year and got better as year went on?

I'm saying we are shaping up to have a nice D-Line.

I blame NT and ILB's on run defense.

Do we need Tuitt? Would you move him and bloster the QB, offensive line, WRs, or ILB's??? Yeah, Tuitt is great at run defense, but how many more sacks do we need? Didn't get us that far this year.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is a completely different debate. The point of my post was it the other person acted like we would be fine with Wormley and Loudermilk. For depth sure, but as starters we already seen what they’re capable of.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You can never have too many sacks, but clearly, they missed Tuitt's run defense. Also, Alualu said that he intends to be back for 2022. They certainly shouldn't count on him for 17 games, but that defense could be a hell of a lot better if both of those guys return.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Loudermilk was a rookie. It's a bit early to say that we've seen the best he can do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Injuries. He had a sports hernia I believe, never was the same again

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    If we get the Alualu from 2 years ago, sign me up...

But I suspect with the money, age, and injury Steelers just move on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    You're right. We can't play with them as 3-4 DE and stop the run. Of course it will be Tuitt (for as long as he is healthy) and Heyward. I think Wormley showed himself to be a good rotational player and the run defense was largely defensive alignment. The Steelers are a nickel defense that often uses only 2 down linemen. Last year with Tuitt and Heyward they gave up 4.3 ypc IIRC. Not very good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've been saying for 5 - 6 years we haven't been able 2 stop the run. Difference was ....We were able 2 get jumps on most teams with the offense ,and they would abandon it. If You go back ,and look at teams that could hang with Us , or jump ahead of us .....They could run on us.
    Our 3-4 is not in anyway what it use 2 be. We run a whole different scheme.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is already signed for 2022. It isn't as if he had a soft-tissue injury in 2021. He suffered a fractured ankle when somebody rolled on the back of his leg. That could happen to a player of any age. Is it worth saving $2.5 million to cut him if he is fully recovered?

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Fair enough, but to suggest we are fine moving forward with these guys as starters is scary

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree. They need to keep investing in both lines. This is tough to predict right now because we are missing a key piece of information. We have no idea what is going on with Tuitt. If he returns, they still need help long-term, but they would be pretty well set for 2022. If not, the defensive line becomes a higher priority in free agency and the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's very difficult to get a starting player and keep him as a backup. wormley and loudermilk played pretty well this year for us. adams played pretty well for us. he also was brought in later so with a camp will probably even improve. alualu will be key. carlos davis being hurt all year didn't help either. tuitt has not made a full season even in college. yes a fine player when healthy but when is that? mondeaux doesn't have the butt to hold up well inside. i like him but his size hurts him in a 3-4 or a 2 down setting that we run a lot. the more we run the two down linemen the more we need guys like adams alualu and loudermilk. cam as well but he's a no brainer. davis is helpful in that scenario too. he's stout at the point of attack but has some range too.

we have been adding players through the draft on the d-line. davis, loudermilk, buggs were all draft picks the last few years. wormley and adams were free agent pickups. it's not like they have done nothing. i think the biggest problem is inside linebacker not stopping the run. they have given the d-line no help in this area. schobert was second on the team in tackles. 70 of his 112 were solo tackles. bush and spillane combined had 70 solo tackles. schobert was also more of a part time player as well. he also got here late and learned on the fly and still ended as the top inside guy. many more stops then vince ever had. we need to get schobert some help in there and it could get even better. johnson? could be but we just don't know. spillane and UG3 and allen are not the answer. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Nice list.

Personally out of all the offensive lineman Dan Moore shined and to me did a solid job at left tackle. I feel he stays there.

Its the interior that needs fixing first. Leglue has a spot and Green as well at guard. Whether they start is another question. Dotson is not a finished product and will need to compete. None are a shoe in to start as far as i'm concerned.

The tragedy is that the coaches let Green start and get owned game after game and until an injury. Hassenauer came in and played solid. He is a good piece to keep around but not a full time starter.

Chuks is a UFA. Banner is signed for 2022.

A center should be the 1st O lineman drafted then guard. A tackle somewhere. I would look the FA route.

So many needs.

This will be a multi year fix.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not sure this means much but some lady on twitter said Tuitt put his house up for sale.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He might be done. Sad because when He played I thought He had the Highest ceiling of anyone on the line. Hopefully it just means He's getting a better Home.

22. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Wow that is interesting ... Do you have the link?