1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Positions of Need for 2022-2023

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    1. OC - Tomlin isn't going anywhere. Canada will get the axe for a historically bad offense.
    2. QB - Ben is done and we don't have a true NFL QB on the roster.
    3. C - Green is not the answer.
    4. NT - this will help solve the horrible run D.
    5. ILB - Bush and Schobert need replacing
    6. CB - Haden is still our best CB despite pushing 40, and that's a problem.
    7. G - Maybe Green can fill this void but our run blocking guards are poor
    8. OLB - a guy like Brandon Ingram who can fill in when Watt inevitably gets injured
    9. FB - a real FB who actually run blocks and doesn't get paid $4mm a year because he's related to the star player
    10. P - maybe it's Corliss who had a great day yesterday

2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

1. It will probably happen
    2. Not sold on the current QB class
    3. Çouldn't agree more
    4. I currently have a huge man crush on Jordan Davis and plan to pimp hard for him in the off-season
    5. Need to get buddy Johnson out there
    6. I still have hope for Sutton and whitherspoon
    7. This my hope..... A green/Dotson tandem at G
    8. Depth is sorely needed, and possibly another starter if Highsmith doesn't start producing
    9. Got to actually put the FB out there.... DW only gets roughly 6 offensive snaps per game
    10. Give Harvin a chance to develop

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Improve DL
    Improve OL
    Sign a vet QB
    collect trophy

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What's needed is not just players. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Need to add Tomlin is no longer the DC.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would put NT at #1. The defense fell apart after Alualu went out. Everyone is always saying it is a dead position. I'm still not buying it.

Steelers don't even utilize a FB, do we really need one?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If we get both Alualu and Tuitt back, we are fine on the DL other than perhaps depth. But we don't need to draft anyone high for our Dline.

We desperately need LB, OL and CB.

I don't think we'll have a decent QB fall to us in the draft so we're stuck with what we have.

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Need a deep Safety so we can play single high.Need a better cover CB opposite Haden, need a Hybrid LB who can guard the pass better and offer run support .. This is a good place to start on D so we can play more man and get extra guys in the box for run support..

The lost on O is a big one have to decide if in rebuild or not, maybe just build the D and go with Dobbs and Haskins for 2 seasons and use PA and game manager style .. If so we need another top RB so we have a true 1,2 punch..

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    My $0.02:

1. No doubt. Whether he really deserves it or not, since I'm not convinced Ben isn't the real OC, the organization will need a scapegoat and Canada will be it. Who would be a good replacement? I'm going to throw out Ken Dorsey. The former U of Miami QB and currently the passing game coordinator and QB coach in Buffalo. He's done a heckuva job developing Josh Allen and that's what we need. He was also the QB coach in Carolina when Cam Newton was at his best. He's got a track record as someone who can develop a QB.
    2. Yes. I'll take Sam Howell if available. I'm assuming Pickett and Corral will be gone before they pick.
    3. Yes, but you can get a quality center in the second or third round
    4. Agreed, but Alualu's coming back healthy may fill that hole somewhat. A Big Snack, Vince Wilfork type is highly underrated .
    5. Yes, but I'd rather go the free agent route here or third round pick or lower. The first two picks have to be used on the QB or OL.
    6. Oh boy. You're right, but we have so many needs it's hard to make this a big priority.
    7. Interior OL's usually second day draft types. Get some veteran capable free agents here.
    8. Pretty far down the list of needs.
    9. As mentioned previously, why? The need is the need to use one, not need to have one.
    10. Bring in a free agent.

/Let me add. Our receiver corps, outside of TE and DJ, are incredibly mediocre. Can't see Shuster-Smith coming back here. He'll sign a one year with a team with an offensive pulse. We're basically hurting at every position but OLB, RB, TE, K, and FS.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  10. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Need a 2-gap NT to run the 3-4. That's only 25-30% of defensive snaps post Lebeau. So it is kind of a waste of a pick.

Steelers often use 2 down linemen in their sub packages. It's kind of a waste to put Heyward there though he should be on the edge instead of Highsmith arguably.

11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Alualu will be 36 next year. Steelers won't draft a NT high you're right. Need to find the next one though to stop the run in the 3-4. Otherwise it's a pointless scheme.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Checked OP claim that Derek Watt made $4M and he is a $4.7M cap hit next year! WTF?! This offense barely ever uses a FB. Watt is effectively a ST player for $4.7M and he's no Steve Tasker. Wow.

13. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Just another example of a small error in management that most casual fans dismiss as insignificant, that add up. Like drafting a horrible punter when we could have gotten a better one as a FA. Like drafting an undersized guard to play center when he's played center twice in his college career.

When your team struggles to score 10 points a game you need every tiny edge you can get, and this team loves to give them up in bunches.

14. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Heyward will be 33 spring 2022 - he could pull a Vince Williams.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hopefully Alualu and Tuitt come back.

Green needs to move to guard his natural position. Some FA centers in 2022

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/center/

If they are not enamored with a QB in the 1st you draft an Offensive tackle.

The 2nd you pick a solid strong safety.

The 3rd is time for a defensive tackle/ nose.

The scary part is if we see Devon Bush not progress. Scobert is signed through 2025 :eek:

A OLB that is told that his role is to spell the starters. Look to the FA market. I know, we had that. I feel the Ingram possibly was misled.

Have to look at the corner situation. Haden is a UFA. I hope they offer him a contract, 2 to 3 years. Sutton is a solid #2. Witherspoon has been a player and is hopefully resigned being only on a one year deal after the trade. Maulet is only on a one year deal. They might resign him. Pierre faded into oblivion. Layne is junk.

Going to take a few seasons of pain.

16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Qb. If they had Rodgers they'd be vying for the #1 seed in the afc right now

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  17. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    QB C move green to his guard or tackle position OL DL ILB QB number 1 C NUMBER 2 Or let mason or free agent QB play But get a Center New OC new DC We need help everywhere

18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Investment in the D-Line
    Investment in O-Line

You can't win football games if you can't stop a running attack and its hard to win when you can't run consistently.

19. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    wow....no mention or thoughts on our putrid tackles ? chuks sucks , banner for some inexplicable reason cant get on the field, and dan moore has been every bit as putrid at LT as green has been at C plus chuks if a UFA...does anyone besides chuks and his agent think he should get a raise ?. hopefully someone from another team takes him off our hands.
    it's too early to give up on moore and green. they are obviously developmental players that had poor coaching, thus the 3rd and 4th round status. only a fool would bet on them being significantly better next season. make no mistake, WE NEED 5 NEW OLINEMEN. if green, moore and dotson develop in to quality starters , GREAT...then we have solid depth.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Butler gone.
    stud right tackle.
    Center.
    ILB
    d Line
    safety
    sign Witherspoon
    FA QB
    WR
    :cool:

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There are far too many holes to fill on this roster for a championship run. It may take
    some time which none of us really want but may have to settle for. We need someone with energy
    and new thoughts on how to accomplish this. I am not so sure KC and MT have that energy???
    I love the Steelers, in my opinion there is not a franchise in professional sports that is better. Tough questions will have
    to be answered going forward. Cincy may have hit the jack pot with Burrows and others. But look how long
    they floundered and all the high draft choices they have had. Let's hope we can get the Steeler brand of football back
    and sooner rather than later. What I have seen in some games this year is not the Steeler football I am used to seeing
    or want to see more of. And we have no QB ready to turn this around. One must be found and hopefully quickly.

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This should have been #1.

New DC. Butler Gone, Butler Gone, and Butler Gone.
    Bing in a new DC to compete with Tomlin for calling the defense.
    And, for the love of God do not promote Teryl Austin; there is a reason he was fired in November the last time he was D.C. in Cincinnati.

#2 can be bring in an actual NFL Offensive Coordinator with some NFL Coaching Experience.
    If we are going to Draft a QB then Look at Ken Dorsey for OC!

23. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I just can't tell how much of our performance is due to poor coaching/game planning or lack of talent. The same players have played well on both sides in different games, while looking like 3rd stringers in others.

QB is the only hole I'm certain we need to fill, I just don't trust MR and I have warmed up to him over the last year.
    • Can we get the O-line to gel like they looked like they were starting to do early in the year?
    • Will Claypool grow up and will Juju return?
    • Will the young DBs mature?
    • Will we get our D-line back?

24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Too bad we didn't draft JOK in the 1st instead of a RB.

He's doing great. That certainly would've made a big difference this year and moving forward.

But at least that run game is fixed.

25. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    juju was the leader of the attention ho diva squad . i hope he doesnt come back. i also wish they would trade claypool. in the future when scouting players, their social media accounts should be scrutinized to weed out these "look at meeeee" type of clowns.

• Agree Agree x 1